starting strength gym

Thread: 16yo son getting started - Squat lateral balance issue - pls help

Default 16yo son getting started - Squat lateral balance issue - pls help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Starting Strength gurus,

One week ago, my son started to utilize my dormant basement gym to really start gaining strength for the first time. I noticed an issue in his squat and have brought it to his attention, but he can't seem to work out how to fix it. The problem is he favors his right side. Instead of staying absolutely balanced on his feet, he drifts to his right immediately as he starts to descend and continues in that position throughout until he returns to the top and re-centers. I have attached a video to demonstrate and we are looking for help on how to fix. He doesn't know he is doing it. When he tries to really force himself on his left side, he can maintain center, but it feels wrong to him - like he is overdoing it to the left. We assume this means his right side is his strong side, which makes sense as he is right-handed. His arms are pretty balanced, as he doesn't do anything like this for press or bench. His DL is also solid.

The attached video is of his work weight today - 120x5. He only did one set because of this lateral balance problem. His warmup sets were normal progression until we realized that my coaching wasn't able to straighten him out. He then dropped back to 85lbs and did a dozen or so to try to get his form, but had no consistency. He then wanted to do this workset for the video to get help.

We live in MN and don't have coaching options at hand. In case it is helpful, he is a HS Sophomore, plays soccer and wrestled at 138 this past school year. He weighed in yesterday at 147.5. He DLs 235, Press 90, BP 120.

Take the video from the rear quarter 45 Degree angle. From this view its hard to tell but it looks like he is staying too vertical in the back and is rolling forward of mid-foot which could simply be the lack of a stable platform due to no shoes.

Thanks Jeff. He lifted again today and I was able to video all three sets from three different positions. Hopefully this will help. Generally, this was a bad day for him as he was VERY tired. He made it through Squat but I stopped the workout during Press warmups because he was so tired he was sitting while I was loading. That's not like him. Don't know if hes not getting enough calories or what the situation was. Will try again tomorrow morning. He was very loose today as well.

Here are the squat videos:
    1st set - 45 degree from back - couldn't get far enough away to do landscape.

2nd set - more like 30 from side

3rd set - front again to see shift to right side