starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Blessing in Disguise - Starting Over the Right Way with NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You made an excellent decision to move to Starting Strength. Many people here started the same way you started. Proper form, as you surmise, is essential to keep you gaining strength and resist injury. The USSF is a great place for competitions. I don't know if they will pick up with regular competitions as before but check is out.
    I would love to compete in a strength meet! I'll keep a lookout for events close to me - I don't remember seeing any past meets near southern Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by readytheharpoon View Post
    Mon 6/8/20
    That set of deadlifts was killer. The last two sessions I have felt like I was not fully recovered from deadlifting. On Monday I plan to begin Phase 2 and start doing power cleans on my bench days.
    After about 2 weeks was when I switched to alternating with power cleans, and it was about the time I was pulling 300lb. This is a good change.

Mon 6/8/20
    I have been feeling very fatigued in my low and mid back after squats, and I have begun to suspect I am doing something very wrong. I posted a form check video on the SS facebook group, and the feedback was that I am not staying tight in my back, which is causing a lot of wobble. The bar is all over the place. Also, I am exaggerating the sit back such that my knees aren't moving forward at all and my low back is in flexion.
    For sure check your form. I remember early on experiencing a lot of low back fatigue as well. I attributed it mostly to just having a weak under-used low back. Every other day hitting it with Squats and DL in consecutive workouts, gives it a lot of use, and makes it strong. It was my experience that this will go away before much longer unless it's caused by a technique/form problem.

Keep up the good work!

Monday 6/15
    S - 250x5x3
    B - 160x5x3
    C - 95x3x5

Wednesday 6/17
    S - 255x5x3
    P - 115x5x3
    D - 300x5

Fri 6/19
    S - 260x5x3
    B - 165x5x3
    C - 100x3x5

Good solid week of squats; they are looking and feeling much better after a couple of form checks. I am focusing on keeping a tight back and keeping my head down. Fifth reps are slow but not a grind.

115 on the press was very heavy. The second and third sets were hard to complete with 5-6 minute rests. The consensus across the forum from the SSCs seems to be that micro loading earlier is better than failing - I am going to start making 2.5 lb jumps on the press.

AJ - thanks for the encouragement! Power cleans are fun. I read the blue book chapter again and followed along with the power clean video series. No joke: I am looking forward to my next power cleans day.

Monday 6/22
    S - 265x5x3
    P - 117.5x5x3
    D - 305x5

Wednesday 6/24
    S - 270x5x3
    B - 170x5x3
    C - 105x3x5

Friday 6/26
    S - 275x5x3
    P - 120x5x3
    D - 315x5 Using mixed grip now on work set.

It's a good thing I dropped my press increment down to 2.5 pounds. 117.5 was an absolute battle on Monday. 120 this morning felt better. I don't have micro plates yet, so I used bolt cutters, a food scale, and zip ties to make 1.25 pound weights out of some chain I had lying around.

I think it's time to introduce chins. I plan to do three sets to failure on my bench and clean days going forward.
    Last edited by Nikola Blagojevic; 06-29-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Formatting.

Default A Blessing in Disguise - Starting Over the Right Way with NLP

Monday 6/29
    S - 280x5x3
    B - 175x5x3
    C - 110x3x5
    U - BWx8,8,7

Wednesday 7/1
    S - 285x5x3
    P - 122.5x5x3
    D - 325x5 <---------325 is a big PR for me. Best Deadlift set of my life!

Friday 7/3
    S - 290x5x3
    B - 180x5x3
    C - 115x3x5
    U - BWx8,8,8

Those 290 lb squats were brutal. Every one of those 15 reps required a separate decision to keep going. Reading the Advanced Novice section of PPST3 and seeing how early the light Squat day was introduced in the "well-executed NLP", I am going to start making Wednesday a light squat day for 2 sets of 5 rather than wait for failure. I am guided by a key takeaway from SS:BBT3 - it is easier to not get stuck than to get un-stuck. I have also taken some inspiration from ajlindahl's log on this matter.

Bench press is also getting to the point where microloading will become necessary, I think. This weekend will be focused on eating a ton and sleeping as much as I can manage.
    Last edited by Nikola Blagojevic; 07-06-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Monday 7/6
    S - 295x5x3
    P - 125x5x3 <---- PR! My previous best was 125 for a single set of 5.
    D - 335x5

I was nervous about 295 after how hard 290 felt on Friday, but it felt about the same - got some good recovery time this weekend. I'm resting 7 to 8 minutes between work sets. My legs feel shaky after I rack the bar now, and I have to sit down to rest.

I've also started wearing knee sleeves. The proprioceptive feedback is great! I've been going at least a few inches below parallel, but with the sleeves I managed to cut my depth a little to just below parallel on every rep. I swear I can also feel much more of the rebound effect out of the hole.

I now finally know what a true limit set of 5 deadlifts feels like - it feels like shit. I'm going back to 5 pound jumps on deadlifts. I did a couple of 10 pound jumps after I started alternating with power cleans, and it felt ok because of the reduced weekly volume. After I set down the 4th rep of this set, I was seeing spots.
    Last edited by Nikola Blagojevic; 07-08-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Congrats on the PR's!

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRatzloff View Post
    Congrats on the PR's!
    Thanks! It feels great!

Wednesday 7/8
    S - 235x5x2
    B - 185x5x3
    C - 120x3x5
    U - BWx8,8,8

Light day squats are such a relief. I finally got my belt! I'm excited to try 300x5x3 on Friday now.

I'm going to start micro loading the bench press. Next bench session will be 187.5x5x3.

Friday 7/10
    S - 300x5x3
    P - 127.5x5x3
    D - 345x5

I know, I know. I was loading the bar for deadlifts and I decided to just go up 10 again. Got it, though! But for real this time - going down to 5 pound jumps. I tried to use the belt for my work set, but I just couldn't get into position with the big 4 inch belt on. It's great for squatting, but I might need a 3 inch belt if I want to use one for deadlifts. This set was beltless. I'll keep trying.

Squats were flying up with a nice tight belt and a hard valsalva. It's interesting how the belt affects depth; I feel like I'm squatting high as shit, but on video I'm breaking parallel by about two inches.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday 7/10

Squats were flying up with a nice tight belt and a hard valsalva. It's interesting how the belt affects depth; I feel like I'm squatting high as shit, but on video I'm breaking parallel by about two inches.
    Have you been doing video every session? I had stopped for a while after after my form was satisfactory, but as it gets heavier technique starts to break down. I think I will start taking video of my top work set again, to review for form creep. I should invest in a belt. So far I have not used a belt, but I bet it would help. I believe SS recommends 3" belts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast