starting strength gym

Thread: Getting back into barbell training after an 10 week enforced break

Default Getting back into barbell training after an 10 week enforced break

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    While the lockdown was irritating as I'd been making good progress it has allowed me to restart with a bit more knowledge. I'd taken up weight lifting up about a year ago and it took me at least six months to realize that compound movement was the main driver of growth and then a little longer to find good information. I discovered Starting Strength in January this year and was able to make better progress till march.

I hope to run starting strength again this time having read the (damn) book and not just looked it up on T-nation. I kept in good shape during the lockdown and I've probably not been as aerobically fit since rowing at university, but my strength did take a hit.

I'm forty, 193cm (6' 3") and 95kg (209 lb)

I got my 5 rep max to SQ: 80kg (176), DL 115 (254), Press 40kg (88), Bench 55 (122) (I wasn't able to safely bench with the racks in my old gym so often pressed instead.)

I've just finished my second week using the app and have gone from

At start: SQ: 30kg (66), DL 60 (132), Press 25kg (55), Bench 30(66)

At end of week 2: SQ: 55kg (121), DL 85 (187), Press 37.5kg (82.5), Bench 40 (88)

I also have gone from 2 propper bodyweight chins (from a dead hang) to 6 at the end of week 2.

Welcome. Good for you. You will probably find great progress and probably put on a few more pounds. Keep it up. Do you have access to the SS coach? Online coaching is also a possibility.

I live on a tiny island so it will be video coaching at least till this virus blows over.
    Last edited by GuernseyGoat; 06-15-2020 at 04:01 AM.

15 June 2020 using app

Sq: 60kg (124lb) 5,5,5
    P: 35kg (77lb) 5,5,5
    DL: 90kg (198lb) 5
    Chins: 7,3,3 at BW

I dropped some weight off my press as I’d jumped up by 5kg last time to 37.5kg. I’d gotten my fives in last time but the bar speed was very slow. I’ll be making jumps of 2.5kg from now on with the press.

The squat and deadlift were great so I’ll stick with a 5kg with them for a while yet.

I concentrated on lifting my chest before pulling with DL and that was much better. I almost wish I’d added more weight as it moved so well.

17 June 2020.

Very tired today, I tied to get some quality rest with an early night but didn’t sleep well.

As soon as I was under the bar my energy levels were great.

Sq: 65kg 5,5,5 sticking to 5kg jumps for now but will probably switch to 2.5kg next week.

BP: 42.5kg 5,5,5 I switched to 2.5kg jumps but it actually felt super light today. I used to hate the bench press but I’m actually starting to like it.

DL: 95kg 5 Lifted my Bodyweight which was a nice milestone. Still perhaps lack of sleep or not having had breakfast made it feel heavy. I’m going to move to 2.5kg jumps.

Things to do book a online SS coach and film myself once a week to help iron out form issues. That said reading the blue book and dipping into it the day before I lift has made the weight move easier.

After a couple of good nights sleep I was so much better today.

Sq 70kg 5,5,5 Really good I’m sticking with the 5kg jumps each training session. I concentrated on where my hips were and everything just moved well.

Press 37.5kg 5,5,5

DL 97.5kg good but after the warm ups I did find that I had to be very careful with resetting my back each time I lifted. Keeping the curl by pulling the chest up was harder under the working load. Still felt good but glad I switched to 2.5kg jumps

Chins 7,4,4 at BW gradually adding reps I guess I’ll manage three sets of twelve next month.

Week 4 22nd June

Monday:
    Sq: 77.5kg 5,5,5
    B: 45kg 5,5,5
    DL: 100kg 5
    Chins: 9,6,3

Wednesday:
    Sq: 80kg 5,5,5
    P: 40kg 5,4,3 (opened the blue book and think I know what the issue is, elbows moving forward not by much but enough to Leak a bit of energy each rep)
    DL: 102.5 5
    Chins: 7,4,4

Friday:
    Sq: 82.5kg 5,5,5
    B: 47.5kg 5,5,5
    Power clean learning using a Mr Rippetoe’s video series, did about 20 setups at the jumping position. Arms straight and feel comfortable to go to the next step next time I train the b workout.
    Chins: 7,6,3

All good feeling great.

My fives at the end of week five, I trained three times using the app and followed the prescribed rest periods.

Squat: 90kg (198.4 lb)

Deadlift: 107.5kg (236.9 lb)

Press: 40kg (88.2 lb)

Bench: 50kg (110.2lb)

Chins: the volume is going up slowly I’m up to 9 on my first set.

Everything is going great with the exception of the press. With that I can hit my first five but then struggle to get a four with the next set. I’m going to see if I can find a coach, it’s a shame that with the way the world is that will have to be video coaching but I guess it’s a lot better than nothing.

I’m staying at the same weight but I’ve noticed that my shirts are tighter and my trousers are looser.

starting strength coach development program
    Week6

Training went well, no gaps and feeling great.

My sets of five and threes for the cleans:

B: 55 kg up from 50kg
    P: deaload to 35kg
    S: 97.5 kg up from 90kg
    D: 110kg up from 107.5kg
    C: 11 max at BW up from 9

Feeling good. Shoulders are stiff in the early morning but doing some warm up dynamic stretches really help as does hanging off the rack. No real soreness yet, a tiny bit in my biceps after the chins but it’s gone the next day.