starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam 43yo 200lb 5'5" engineer, moderately trained starting NLP

Default Adam 43yo 200lb 5'5" engineer, moderately trained starting NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As the title states, i did mike matthews year one challenge, loved it, switched to his beyond bigger leaner stronger, it seems to be too much volume for me, so i'm going to do NLP and transition into some kind of old man Texas method i guess, but we will see where NLP takes me, i'm a huge fan of SS, rip, the crew and all things simple and effective. The biggest struggle for me is going to be NOT going to the gym 5 days a week, kinda fell in love with training, but hopefully i can find a 4ish day a week program after NLP plateau's. everything here is going to be in pounds
    Current 1rm's calculated from last successful 3 rep sets are @ Bench-222, press-159, dead-365, squat-318, as soon as the vertigo fades i should be back in the gym in a day or two.
    Any advice on the starting weights or anything is appreciated.
    Gonna start NLP with @ 60% of those 1rm numbers and see what happens
    DATE SQUAT PRESS BENCH DEAD PC CHINS Notes
    TBD 225 95 X 225 X X
    Last edited by adam.a.lemay; 06-30-2020 at 11:24 AM.

First day of NLP, 6-30-20, just working up to a set of five, didn't do sets across anything
    Squat-worked up to 265 for 5 reps, probably had more but my knee twitched in and somebody was waiting on the rack
    Press-worked up to 135 for 5, not much left there but didn't rest long enough either, my form is shite, but I'll work on that, should have time for vids thursday
    Deadlift, put 315 on and got 5, the kippers were getting grumpy so I left it there, had some more but need to focus on getting my back set better

7-2-20
    Squat 270/5/3- last rep was iffy on all three sets, took vids, will post
    Bench
    Worked up to 175/5/3, felt decent, need better leg drive and breath properly
    Dead
    320/5/1- first one felt great last four were a prayer, I need to slow down, did good until the deadlift, need to be more patient, took a vid, scared to look at it

7-6-20:
    Squat 275x5x3- felt good, last rep was probably too high rpe but made it

Press 140x5x3- first set was rough, second two went up easier, still need to work on form

Dead 325x5x1- whole set had me psyched out, scared of it, pulled ok, last rep was rough, not use to not warming up to get the belt comfy
    Gotta find 1.25lb plates

7-8-20-
    Got a lot of sleep yesterday, Monday kicked my ass, the sleep paid off
    Squat-280x5x3- felt good, need better warm up my left hamstring got angry, go up
    Bench-180x5x3- felt good, get a decent arch and even some leg drive from the middle bench, will go up
    Deadlift-330x4x1, no belt, put bar further from shin, bathroom break after bench, felt great going up, square plates mad it rock away on #4, back rounded, didn want to try 5, should have reset, need to slow down more, breathed at bottom, full stop, felt great, will go no belt again

Nice work and welcome. Here is a great podcast to listen to about "life after NLP" Barbell Logic, [Barbell Logic] #269 - The M.E.D. Masterclass #3: Freedom & The Four-Day Split #barbellLogic
    #269 - The M.E.D. Masterclass #3: Freedom & The Four-Day Split • Barbell Logic - Podcast Addict via @PodcastAddict.

Go back to session 265 and listen to whole masterclass on Minimum Effective Dose. It is awesome.

I am 47 and have you by a few years. I have added a few extra warm up sets when necessary, and that is often. Its served me well. Good luck!

Thanks man, i'll check it out, i think im going back to mike matthews BLS warm up, it served me well
    50%work set x10, x12, 75%x4, 90%x1
    I'm not looking forward to learning power cleans, the kippers might think they are winning

Sorry to bother, but if i've got this straight in my head,
    once i stall on my deadlift, phase 2, which means start swapping out cleans with the deadlift,
    once i stall on my deadlift and or clean, i swap in chin ups (phase 3)
    need to read more before i understand what point to come out of NLP to TM HLM or 4 day (which sounds good to me)

I think you can jump to 4 days at any point, especially if you are use to 5 day volume. I need to crack open my practical programming book and see the correct answer but I had great success rotating, deads, cleans and chins on 3 day. Starting with rotating deads and chins. Then eventually incorporating cleans. Never got good at them, but used them as a tool to help drive strength.

I was good at chins so I put those in at week 2, cleans at week 8. Sorry if this didnt make any sense.

When you listen to Bblogic podcast it will help you think your way through logically.

starting strength coach development program
    7-10-20, 2 nights of not great sleep, good sleep, just @6 hours, I do better with 8, calories should be pretty good, but totally bonked anyway...
    Squat 285*4*2, 280*5*1
    Press 142.5*5*3, felt good, glad I didn't go up 5lbs
    Dead-335*4*1, felt like total shit stopped before I hurt myself
    Haven't decided where to go next, hlm, 4 day, option paralysis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast