starting strength gym

Thread: Starting the journey

Default Starting the journey

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not new to lifting but have never run out NLP. I’ve been a program hopper, messed around with 5/3/1, super squats, the usual common things you see on the internet. I come from an endurance background, running cross country through high school, racing bikes in college, then transitioning into ultra marathons in my later 20s and 30s. Didn’t lift at all in 2019 due to life circumstances, then bought a home gym in February of 2020 and have recently achieved the following

Squat 330 lbs
    Deadlift 445 lbs
    Bench 275 lbs
    Press 175 lbs
    Power clean 235 lbs

I’d like to see what I can achieve without dicking around so much and sticking to an organized plan for longer than a few weeks. I’m 39, weight is 185 at 5’10. I’m backing way down to start NLP and did my first session as follows

Squat 135x5/3
    Press 95x5/3
    Deadlift 185x5

I wanted to back off in order to focus on form, proper rest and nutrition to hopefully drive my numbers well above what I posted above, with goals of 300/400/500 for the big 3, and a press at 1.25 bodyweight.

Welcome! You are going to love this program. Smart backing down. I did the same and was glad I spent about a month getting back to my numbers. Not sure if you are shooting for going for 1, 2 or probably 3 days per week, but wanted to let you know I have seen success with all 3 when life gets crazy. Good luck and keep posting. Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRatzloff View Post
    Welcome! You are going to love this program. Smart backing down. I did the same and was glad I spent about a month getting back to my numbers. Not sure if you are shooting for going for 1, 2 or probably 3 days per week, but wanted to let you know I have seen success with all 3 when life gets crazy. Good luck and keep posting. Travis.
    Thanks Travis, I am hopeful to do 3 days per week, or at least keep a 48-72 hours for recovery like Rip says in Practical Programming. Good to see that you had success backing off before ramping up again, my concern was starting too heavy and stalling too soon, especially with some form changes, such as the low bar squat for example.

Squat 155x5/3
    Bench 135x5/3
    Power Clean 135x3/5
    Chins BW x8/3