starting strength gym

Thread: New to program

Default New to program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    am not exactly brand new to weightlifting. I've been doing CrossFit and weight training for over 10 years.
    Where should I start weight wise with this program? not 45 lbs I would assume?
    And what happens when you plateau at a weight? As in not able to finish all five reps?
    Do you just lower the reps the next workout or go down in weightt or how does that work??

Do you have the basic two books? Have you contacted a coach? The books and the coaches will guide you in your questions.
    Do you know what the LP is? That is the first issue.
    SS is a scientifically based step by step program. There are clear cut reasons for each step. Get the books. Read them. Then contact a coach.

Welcome! Book is nice to have, I have both but you can find enough to get you through several weeks online in articles and listen big to Rips podcast. Good luck! Did you get started? If not pick light weights you can move easily and work on technique for a few weeks. Then you will be confident moving up.

Guys, thank you for the feedback and actually replying. This is a form though quit telling me to get the books please. I heard about this from my cousin and I'm giving it a shot and I downloaded the app. Y'all want this to grow. Help me out I'm asking questions on a form. I thought that's what this is for to get expert opinions and advice

Here’s a few notes on the workout:

You work out 3 days a week
    There are two different routines: A and B
    You alternate the two, with a rest day in between
    Low repetitions are the best to build brute strength
    With this in mind, let’s look at the two different days that you’ll alternate.

There’s Starting Strength routine A:

Squat: 3×5
    Overhead Press: 3×5
    Deadlift: 1×5
    …and then there’s Starting Strength routine B:

Squat: 3×5
    Bench press: 3×5
    Power Cleans 5×3
    So your first two weeks on Starting Strength would look like this:

Week 1 Monday: Day A
    Week 1 Wednesday: Day B
    Week 1 Friday: Day A
    Week 2 Monday: Day B
    Week 2 Wednesday: Day A
    Week 2 Friday: Day B

Start with manageable weight form everything and move up 10 lbs per session until unable then switch to 5 lbs increases.

When stalling the first thing to do is increase your rest time between sets. I was up to 8 minutes on some in order to get my reps in.

This is from the website.

Stalling
    When you don’t make the prescribed sets and reps in a given exercise, try again the next time that exercise comes up. If you make the lift, continue progressing. If you miss again, de-load your weight in that lift by 8-10%, and work your way back up from there, using small jumps. When you’ve done two or three de-loads and worked back up, and stall again, you’re probably done with your linear progression for that particular exercise, assuming that your recovery – sleep and nutrition – have been in order.

Recovery
    Sleeping less than 7-8 hours per night will negatively affect your recovery. If you are short on sleep on a regular basis, the length of time during which you can add weight to the bar as a Novice will be artificially stunted.

Much has been written regarding the optimal nutritional intake to take advantage of the Starting Strength Program. Rip’s article, A Clarification, should be read before beginning the program.

However, in short, you need to eat enough to recover. Ample protein, carbohydrates, and fat are required. Trying to do this program while on any type of restricted diet is not optimal: Intermittent Fasting, Paleo, and Zone are examples of three currently popular styles of eating that will stunt your Starting Strength Novice gains. We don’t recommend getting fat while doing the program, but to optimize your gains, you’ll probably have to eat a lot more than you’re used to. Many underweight young men have supplemented their eating with a gallon of milk a day, the famous GOMAD protocol, to aid in their quest for strength.

If you’re already obese, you don’t drink the milk and watch your carbs more carefully, especially if you don’t see some weight and fat loss over the first few weeks.

I assume from your answer that you do not have the books and don't intend getting them. To each his own. When you start reading the books I will attempt to answer some of your questions. Until then I have other things to do.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Travis. This was helpful.