starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Training Log: Ethan Bynon

Default Starting Strength Training Log: Ethan Bynon

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    STATS: male, 27 years old, 6 ft. tall, 220 lbs and estimated 23% bodyfat.
    Former 1RM: 175/255/340/415
    Former 5RM: 152.5/225/295/365
    Current 5RM 95/???/185/275

I am returning to barbell lifting after 6+ weeks of high stress life events and having no access to a barbell. This time, I want to do things right. I will be training using a proper strength program LP, I will be tracking my food/protein intake every day instead of just eyeballing it, and I will be taking my sleep schedule seriously.

My primary goal is to not only return to my previous strength standards in a short amount of time than it took to get them the first time, but to exceed them on all my major barbell lifts before I move on to intermediate programs. To accomplish this goal, I will be doing the Starting Strength LP and this time I will be doing it as written, so no adding barbell curls every workout or subbing power cleans with rows and RDLs as I have done in the past. I will learn how to do the power clean and I will succeed.

My secondary goal is to get my body fat percentage below 20%. I have no strong interest in six-pack abs; I just want to have a healthier body composition. To accomplish this goal, I will be utilizing Jordan Feigenbaum’s “To Be A Beast” online article, specifically his caloric recommendations for “fat loss” and use of short amounts of HIIT conditioning (2/week) for overweight clients. This will be done for a short period of time until I am either under 20% bodyfat (I’ll say 18% is the goal number just to be safe) or until it begins to affect my recovery for my strength progression, after which I will taper up my calorie/protein intake and taper down my HIIT if necessary.

According to Feigenbaum’s “To Be A Beast” macro chart, I require 2500 calories for fat loss (about -300 under my TDEE). I like to eat 1g/lb of protein and carbs when training, what ever is leftover goes to fats (220g protein, 220g carbs, 83g fat). If I am still gaining a substantial amount of fat after 1-2 weeks, I will begin to taper my fats and then my carbs until I find a sweet spot. HIIT for sub 20% body fat

For today’s workout, I established my current 5RMs for the squat, OHP, and deadlift. I accomplished this by practicing my form with the empty barbell for a few sets, and then performing sets of 5, increasing the weight by 10-20 lbs until I felt the next set would give me some trouble.

Squat 185x5 (110 lbs drop)
    OHP 95x5 (57.5 lbs drop)
    Deadlift 275x5 (90 lbs drop)
    HIIT for 15 minutes (20 secs on/100 secs off)

All in all, a painfully embarrassing process finding out how much I lost, but I am optimistic for the future that I will come back stronger than before. On Wednesday I will be doing the squat 3x5 proper at 185 lbs, testing my bench numbers, and increasing my deadlift by 10 lbs. I will be recording my training days here, M/W/F, as well as my weigh-in day on Sundays, from now until I finish my NLP.

For today’s workout, I did 185x5x3 for squats, established my current 5RM for bench press, and did deadlift 285x5. Knees were a little tight during the warm-up sets, but they loosened by the time I got to my top sets. Increasing my squat and deadlift by 10 lbs and my presses by 5 lbs.

Warm-up sets before each top set
    Squat: 185x5x3
    Bench: 165x5 (60 lbs drop)
    Deadlift: 285x5

Today I did my OHP for sets across and added more weight to my squat and deadlift. No knee issues or fatigue issues.

Squat: 195x5x3
    OHP: 95x5x3
    Deadlift: 295x5

Next time I bench for sets across and add another 10 lbs to my squat and deadlift. First week done!
    Last edited by Ethan Bynon; 08-01-2020 at 03:24 AM.

Oh to be 27 again.

It's good to see you young guys back at it. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Oh to be 27 again.

It's good to see you young guys back at it. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, glad to finally be back. I'll take my boons where I can get them right now.

I've decided to weigh-in on Mondays instead of Sundays, just to save on forum posts. I weighed in this morning at 222.5 lbs and 23% body fat, which is interesting since I've been eating 2500 kcal every day as a -300 calorie deficit, however, my body fat percentage stayed exactly the same, so I gained an estimated 2 lbs of LBM over my first week. Fun stuff.

Today's workout was pretty good until the deadlifts, where I started to feel the fatigue catching up. I might start doing power cleans on Friday, it depends on how Wednesday's training goes.

Squat: 205x5x3
    Bench: 165x5x3
    Deadlift: 305x5
    No HIIT today, instead I hiked up a local dormant volcano with my friends. Fun stuff, minus the bugs.

Today's deadlifts were an enormous grind, I still got them but it was incredibly fatiguing throughout the set, far more than last Monday. My squats today had a similar feeling to my deadlifts from Monday, heavy but not impossible. I think this Friday I will increase my squats by 10 lbs and my bench by 5 lbs, and instead of doing deadlifts, I will begin to practice power cleans.

Warm-up sets before each top set: empty bar 2x5 (135 lbs 1x5 for deadlifts), ~40%x5, ~60%x3, ~80x2
    Squat: 215x5x3
    OHP: 100x5x3
    Deadlift: 315x5

Friday got busy, so I did my Friday session today. Squats have also become noticably fatiguing, so I will be reducing the jumps to 5 lbs a session. Today I finally knuckled down and practiced my power clean form until it was somewhat tolerable. I had an "aha" moment with the jump and catch, and I've finally got it down, though I definately have room for improvement. I currently have it at 85 lbs (95 lbs attempt was ugly form), although I'm going to attempt some 10 lbs jumps for a bit to see if improving my form further will yield a better PC weight.

Warm-up sets before each top set: empty bar 2x5, ~40%x5, ~60%x3, ~80x2
    Squat: 225x5x3
    Bench: 170x5x3
    Power Clean: 85x3 (first session, will perform 5x3 on Wednesday and see if I can manage 95 lbs on the following Monday)
    Last edited by Ethan Bynon; 08-10-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Today was rough for deadlifts. I got 4 out of 5 reps, the last one I was close to the top but I couldn't lock out. Felt like my gas tank was empty. Going to repeat the weight one more time on Friday and see what happens. If it happens again I'm going to stop my calorie deficit and go into maintainance/surplus. Sleep was good, rest times were good, and I had made a 5 lb jump from my last deadlift. The only thing of note is my calorie intake, although my protein intake is still 1g/lb.

Warm-up sets before each top set: empty bar 2x5 (135 lbs 1x5 for deadlifts), ~40%x5, ~60%x3, ~80x2
    Squat: 230x5x3
    OHP: 105x5x3
    Deadlift: 320x4

Edit: also, my weight/BF% was virtually unchanged from last week. I think I am going to just increase my caloric intake for now to maintenance and see what happens Friday.
    Last edited by Ethan Bynon; 08-11-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Power cleans are getting way better. Each set was getting better than the previous in terms of form. I'm feeling comfortable enough to try a 10 lbs jump to 95 lbs next Monday.

Warm-up sets before each top set: empty bar 2x5, ~40%x5, ~60%x3, ~80x2
    Squat: 235x5x3
    Bench: 175x5x3
    Power Clean: 85x3x5

starting strength coach development program
    Numbers are moving up! Keep at it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast