starting strength gym

Thread: SSNLP for Weight Loss and Lower Back Pain: a Log

Default SSNLP for Weight Loss and Lower Back Pain: a Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    34 years old, 5' 9", 270lbs, >40%BF

I'm an untrained novice with no prior experience. I'm overweight, and have had lower back issues since experiencing a work-related injury in my early 20s, and constant sciatic nerve pain for the last 5 years, or so. I am in plumbing and HVAC, in a subtropical climate, and so spend many hours in hot attics and crawlspaces, hunched over or navigating through a maze of duct work and roofing trusses. No simple feat for a fat man. When my sciatic nerve becomes aggravated, it's virtually impossible for me to perform my job.

After a particularly bad summer this year, I made the decision to drop weight and strengthen my back in hopes of alleviating some of the pain, and reducing general wear and tear on my body while at work. I've been familiar with Rippetoe's novice program for some time now, and after recent renewed interest, was surprised to find that I created this account 7 years ago. Yeah. Time to cowboy up and DTFP.

After making the decision to start training, I was still in the middle of a sciatica episode, and was in too much pain to begin. I found a blog post Bill Starr had written about a friend with an injured back, where he had the guy do daily, high-rep, low-weight good mornings and HDLs. Followed that advice for about 3 weeks, until I felt that the pain had subsided enough that actual training was an option. Old habits die hard, and discipline is hard to cultivate, however and I've spent the last two weeks dicking around and familiarizing myself with the lifts. My back feels better than it has in a long time. While I obviously don't expect the program to fix a fucked up disc, I am optimistic it will improve quality of life and make the pain more manageable.

Currently I can complete 3 sets of 5 at the following weights:

Squat: 225

Press: 100

Bench: 140

Deadlift: 275 (for 1 set of 5)

Today is Saturday, and on Monday I will begin the linear progression as written while consuming roughly 2,700 calories and a minimum of 200g of protein per day.

Congratulations, or maybe condolences, if you actually read all of that. Follow along to find out whether or not I get strong or end up an obese paraplegic on disability!

Odds are you'll get strong!
    Congratulations on you for having the balls to start this

10/19/2020

Squat 230x3x5
    OHP 105x3x5
    Deadlift 280x1x4

Started too heavy. Form suffered in later reps, and I dropped the bar on my 5th DL rep. Mild localized disc pain in lower back. I've been sick for a few days and only slept two hours last night. Plan for the week is to study the blue book, and improve my sleeping habits. Will drop weights by 10 or 15% next workout and continue from there.

10/21/20

Squat: 185x3x5
    Bench: 135x3x5
    Deadlift: 225x5

Reduced weight. Today felt pretty good. Mild lower back pain persists. Will continue to read the book and improve form. Diet and sleep habits improving slowly.

If you follow the book and get some consults with an SS coach either in person or online you will get stronger.

What is your target weight? I'm 5'9" and weigh 225.

If your target weight is 220-230 you should plan on counting protein intake for each day. It should be 1 -1.2 grams per pound of body weight goal per day or around 220-240 grams per day.
    How many calories do you eat per day?
    For technique advice a Starting Strength Coach is invaluable. You can also post videos here or on the technique section of the forum.
    Best wishes from a 73 year old lifter.

Had been shooting for 2,700-2,800 calories per day, with 200-250 grams of protein. My typical fat intake was nearer to 100g per day, but I've reduced the fat and increased the carbohydrates after reading some of Santana's forum posts. Compliance is an issue, but I'm improving. I seem to get a lot of conflicting advice when it comes to diet, and feel like I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be. I think going forward I'm going to set a daily goal of 250g of protein, 60g of fat, and adjust carbs as needed to facilitate weight loss while making strength gains, starting at around 2,800 total calories per day and adjusting from there.

I have sought out a local coach, but there aren't any in my area. I am considering attending a squat and deadlift seminar in Orlando in the future, then obtaining online coaching when my financial situation soon allows.
    Last edited by hamartithian; 10-22-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Your ideas seem sound.

I did not know that there were Starting Strength coaches in Orlando. If we get a chance of escaping Michigan again to visit Orlando I must look him/her up.

Your ideas seem sound.

I did not know there were Starting Strength coaches. If we get a chance to travel to Orlando again I must look him or her up.

Lower back flared up at work this morning, and it's been pretty bad. Pretty decent constant lower back pain. Sneezing and coughing cause a sharp pain, and an immediate "oh shit, that's not right" kind of sensation, although this was the case prior to begining barbell training, so nothing new. Considerable pain at the bottom of the squat on my warmups, so I went light. Not sure if this was smart, or if I should've loaded up the correct weight and attempted to work through it.

Squat: 135x3x5

Bench: 115x3x5

Deadlift: 185x1x5

starting strength coach development program
    One consult with an SS coach could help clear this up, but losing weight will also help.