starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Norse God of Butter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's a good report. Don't get discouraged. You are on your way.

Sorry about the nagging about coaching.

I look forward to following along your path

Your Doctor is quite a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Sorry about the nagging about coaching.
    Don't be sorry, it's good advice.

I've been running a large calorie deficit for someone trying to build strength, but despite that I did not want to eat today. Myfitnesspal.com was not my pal, it just sat there reminding me that I needed to eat. So I made myself eat.

This was a terrible idea. I spent the late afternoon with a terrible case of the runs and by the time early evening rolled around I'd had more than enough of squatting and contracting my abdominal muscles. I just flat out did not want to lift. So I did what I think any of you would do: I got out my daughter's art kit, painted "TREE OF WOE" on the side of my power rack and got inside.

Tonight's contemplations:

Squat:
    5x5
    25x5
    45x5
    65x5x3

My hips are less tight than last time, but they're still tight enough that they pull my knees in a little bit at full depth, so when I tried to bounce off the bottom and come up quick I tweaked something in my right knee. By the time I finished my deadlifts it was really sore (although it didn't hurt during the movements, just afterwards). Anyway, I'm going to skip HIIT tomorrow and just take a nice slow walk instead.

Bench:
    45x5
    90x5
    125x3
    165x2
    185x5x3

Deadlift:
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    265x5

I'm still almost 1000 calories below my target and, worse, 75g of protein, but I am not willing to risk it. I'm just going to have a couple of beers and go to bed.

Oh, and Carson, thanks for reminding me that I was in danger of running out of weights. Amazon had 9 45lb plates left in stock and 2 of them should be arriving before I run out.
    Last edited by Lardo McFatterson; 09-17-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Good report and Sorry about the tweak. Things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardo McFatterson View Post
    I am male and I can't perform a full squat.
    Fixed this for ya. I'm convinced no untrained male past the age of 7 can perform a legitimate full squat naturally. It's just not something we ever do in real life. My wife, as an adult right now, can squat down and sit her ass on the floor. I had to force myself into 1" below parallel squat until it became second nature.

You're doing good with the shoulder mobility practice and the squat mechanics practice. Just think "I have to sit back as far as I can." Like you're sitting way back down to a toilet you can't see. Like so far you're gonna fall backwards, but without falling backwards.

For your other lifts, nice presses and deadlifts. You're moving a lot of weight.

I went into my garage today and my six year old was in the cage trying to do barbell curls. I guess it's instinct. The rails were still in place from my bench, so he only had about 4" ROM, and he weighs the same as the empty bar, so he only got one rep before he dropped the bar and flexed at me.

He's not the only one to have failed to complete a set of 5 today. I had a hard time recovering due to my visit to Pooploma for the Running of the Bowels before the last session. I spent Friday being too sore and light-headed to be productive at work and today I still didn't feel 100%. I did nail my macros yesterday and today and I have two days to recover, so I'm feeling good about Tuesday.

Squat:
    5x5
    25x5
    45x3
    65x2
    85x5x3

My knee is a lot better. It only hurt a little bit if my knees got out of line with my toes. So I avoided doing that. Wife filmed me again and I was definitely hitting depth, but I still don't have a really good sense of where depth is.

Press:
    45x5
    75x5
    95x3
    115x2
    140x5, 140x3, 140x2

I failed my press. I had trouble getting tight before the initial lean-back, so I didn't really get the bow and arrow effect after the first rep of the first set. Form went to crap, bar speed dropped and I couldn't finish the last 2 sets. I have fractional plates, so I'm going to try for 138 next time. I'm also going to work out the next month's scheduling with the wife so I can get some in person coaching.

Deadlift:
    135x5
    165x3
    230x2
    275x5

Grip almost failed on the last rep.

On a positive note, I weighed in at 339 today, so I'm no longer immeasurably fat. I'm also up to a total of 3.5" off my belly and it hasn't even been a full 3 weeks yet. Body fat formula suggests I've dropped 10lbs of fat and gained 4lbs of lean mass.

Good progress, grats.

I put up a sign by my rack as well:

With great power comes great responsibility.

Yes I know it is a Spiderman reference. But it goes "past the sale", Suggesting you already have "great power".
    You're rack is more of a fountain of youth, than a tree of woe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    You're rack is more of a fountain of youth, than a tree of woe.
    For the first week it was simply a tool for making going down stairs even harder than going up them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardo McFatterson View Post
    My hips are less tight than last time, but they're still tight enough that they pull my knees in a little bit at full depth, so when I tried to bounce off the bottom and come up quick I tweaked something in my right knee.
    Page 21 of Starting Strength (top of page) has a picture of a warmup that helped me with this problem. Use a box it needed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Page 21 of Starting Strength (top of page) has a picture of a warmup that helped me with this problem. Use a box it needed.
    I think you mean location 589 in the kindle edition I had tried that a couple of times, but I'll try it regularly and see what happens.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast