starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linear Progression Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    October 2, 2020
    Couldn't workout yesterday. That's two rest days.

Squat:
    320 x 5 x 3
    Felt Strong.

Press:
    160 x 5 x 3
    Strong. A little disappointed I didn't do 5x5 with how well these went.

Power Clean:
    185 x 2, 3
    190 x 3
    195 x 2, 0
    My power clean went backwards. I guess that means I'm retarded?? I might drive to a starting strength gym and get some coaching.

And some isolation exercises until the gym closed.

2 rest days coming up. And then Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will be workout days God willing. Diets going well, getting 4000 calories minimum and 300-400 grams of protein. I've probably put on 4 or 5 lbs since the start of this log.

October 5, 2020

Squat:
    325 x 5, 5
    During my first set, I felt something different happening on my left side, right under my ribcage. Like my organs were moving around. There was barely noticeable tenderness on my left side, and I was planning on putting this in my log. During my second set, I felt something happen on rep 3 or 4, and I quickly finished my 5th rep before it had time to interfere. It felt like a bruise that was increasing in pain over time. After 5 or so minutes, I could no longer bend over without wincing. After 10 minutes, I could not go prone on the bench. This injury feels like something I can sleep off, but it ruined my workout none the less. I'll keep my log updated with this, but I'm hoping that I'm back in the gym by Thursday at least.

I currently can't take deep breaths, or use my abs to lie down or sit up.

Damn. I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong under the bar?? I was wearing my belt.

Just got back from the ER. After some x-rays, the doctor said I don't have any rib fractures, and that I have a sprain of the ribs. I hope he's right, and not just guessing.

Sneezing causes excruciating pain. Ab use causes pain, so lying down hurts.

I'm not exactly sure how this happened, except that it happened while I was deep in the squat. Currently on painkillers - the doctor told me to 'take it easy' for a few days. This sucks, and I'm trying to figure out how this wont happen again. Perhaps this is what I get for wearing my belt a little too high?

Log will probably be quiet for a bit. I'll see where I'm at in a week.

Rib sprain is feeling better. Waiting around sucks and I decided to see exactly what my limitations are so...

October 8, 2020
    Learned a little about my belt. It's a 4 inch, 13mm Elite FTS belt, and according to Rip it's a "stiff and uncomfortable thing" which is true and will bruise me if I don't wear it properly. I had it too high, and now that I wear it lower I can actually workout. Except for the press, which my injury limits me from doing.

Squat:
    325 x 5 x 3
    Good.

Bench:
    255 x 5 x 3
    Rib injury dictated that I have a more 'flat' back than usual. I was able to bench none the less.

Deadlift:
    415 x 5
    I learned that I'm able to get into position with my 4 inch belt, now that I'm wearing it correctly. Felt strong.

Chins:
    10, 10, 10

Curls:
    50 x 15 x 3
    Ez Curl bar was all that was available. I'm not going to curl in the squat rack.

I'm glad my injury wasn't worse than it is. Being injured sucks.

October 12, 2020
    Squat:
    330 x 5, 1
    I was so tired I left the gym. Decided to come back tomorrow.

October 13, 2020
    Press:
    165 x 5 x 3
    I can press again. My rib still hurts when I sneeze.

Power Clean:
    185 x 3 x 5

October 14, 2020
    Sqwat:
    330 x 5 x 3

Bench:
    260 x 5 x 3
    Listened to a benching podcast by Rip and my forearms should be vertical when the bar touches my chest. I used to have a very narrow grip beforehand, It's still not vertical but there's alot more chest involved now I suppose. These became harder since the change, hopefully this changes with time. I also have a very narrow grip when pressing, I don't think I'll change that.

Deathlift:
    425 x 5

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do on Friday, since my squat may not be recovered. I might just have an extra rest day and try to squeeze in a workout on Saturday.

October 16, 2020
    Light Squat:
    265 x 5 x 3

Press:
    170 x 5 x 3
    I managed to tweak my neck muscles doing these. Sleeping that night was painful. I feel better already though. Getting closer and closer to my previous PRs, so that's exciting.

Chins:
    10, 10, 9

Two rest days coming up, then back at it for Monday, Wednesday, Friday again hopefully. I really should be doing more isolation exercises since I'm eating big. Everything except my squat are on track to hit previous PRs. Previous PRs are:

Press: 190 x 5 x 5
    Squat: 390 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 275 x 5 x 5
    Deadlift: 440 x 5
    Power Clean: 195 x 3 x 5

October 19, 2020
    Sqwat:
    335 x 5x 3
    Strong. I really like my belt when it doesn't bruise me.

Bench:
    265 x 5 x 3

Deadlift:
    435 x 5
    I haven't deadlifted in an absurdly long time, so I thought I would do them today. "The deadlift also serves as a way to train the mind to do things that are hard." These were ugly. These were so ugly I thought my bicep was going to rip apart. But I got them done.

Curls:
    60 x 15 x 3

October 21, 2020
    Light Squat:
    270 x 5 x 3

Press:
    175 x 5 x 5
    I have 4 or 5 days before I press again, so I thought I'd do them 5 x 5. 190 I'm coming for you

Curlz:
    70 x 12 x 3

October 23, 2020
    Slept and ate like shit yesterday and I am unrecovered. It's almost impossible for me to workout during the weekend, so I decided to go in today anyway.

Light Squat:
    270 x 5
    I really didn't feel like squatting. It's days like these that really make me think of how susceptible I am to not enough food and sleep. I need so much so that this doesn't happen.

Bench:
    270 x 5, 4, 4
    Call me crazy, but I think my bench was also effected by not eating and sleeping. I'm not worried, I think rest will fix this. I'm not sure if I'll do 270 or 275 next workout.

No power clean today. Someone was hogging the platform doing snatches.

starting strength coach development program
    October 26, 2020
    Squat:
    340 x 5 x 3

Press:
    180 x 4, 5, 4.9
    Tightened my belt after my first set and got stronger. Last rep of last set I almost had, but was claimed by poor technique. Ran out of time for additional sets or work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast