starting strength gym
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Legit Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    From now on I'll be updating on a weekly basis, I figured it would be easier to see the progress that way.
    Anyway, this is the log after I came back from my 5 day vacation ( I was too tired to train on the 20th, so I waited till Friday to start back):

22/07
    Light Squat - 130kg
    Press - 65kg (5 sets of 3)
    Deadlift - 160kg x 4

25/07
    Squat - 147,5kg
    Bench - 90kg
    Power Clean - 70kg

27/07
    Light Squat 127,5kg (I deloaded because I want my light squat to be roughly 80% of my heavy squat)
    Press - 66kgx5,4,3,2,1 (15 reps total)
    Deadlift - 162,5kg x 3+2

29/07
    Squat - 150kg
    Bench - 92kg
    Power Clean - 72kg

NOTES:
    When I came back I had to do 4 night shifts in a row, I tried to sneak in a couple hours of sleep, but these were obviously detrimental to my training.
    I started taking 8-10g of creatine again on the 22nd, so it's been a week now.
    Bodyweight has been going up slightly; this morning I was still 91,5kg.
    Nothing much changed in my technique, I still have problems with my bench, it seems like I can't do a leg drive properly and I lose scapulae abduction, might have something to do with my back being sweaty. But I also feel asymmetrical.
    The big obstacles are the heat and my bodyweight. But mostly the heat. The sessions BEGIN with me drenched in sweat.
    It makes it easier for me to get dizzy and feel very drained towards the end of the workout.
    I drink ice cold water, I bring a towel with me, and I try to rest as much as I can to bring my temperature down a bit.
    I'm gonna start bringing a second T-shirt to put on mid-workout, and a bigger towel. That might help a little. But this next month is gonna be a bitch to get through. Now that I think about it, I've never trained all throughout the summer. And I will probably avoid it in the future, unless I have access to good equipment and constant air conditioning.

The plan, after having deloaded again, is to DO THE PROGRAM. I will add chin-ups starting next week. It is obvious that between my bodyweight going down and the heat, I can't progress as well as I did in April or May, so I should include chin-ups now and do the best I can to have a proper power clean technique. This should be enough to get me through August, especially if I can put on a couple kilos. If the squat gets too heavy I will do 1 top set and 2 back-off sets on my heavy day.

1/08
    BW 91,5kg (201lbs)
    Squat - 130kg
    Press - 66kg (rest 7/8')
    Deadlift - 165kg
    Great session, realized I accidentally did 67kg on the press last time so I did 66kg and managed to do 3x5 (3 sets of 5).
    I wanted to start with chin-ups today, but I felt good enough to try deadlifting, and it went well. Chin-ups are gonna start on Wednesday.

3/08
    BW 91,2kg (still low)
    Squat - 152kg
    Bench - 93kg
    Chin-ups 3x7,7,6

Squats felt good, no fear of the weight.
    I widened my grip about 1 finger width cause my left wrist has been acting up for a while, and the weight feels better on my shoulders actually.
    Bench Press was better. I try to do it as fast as I can to focus on executing the lift, and it seems to work. I also applied some chalk to the bench, which seems to improve leg drive a bit. I'll keep going 1kg at a time.
    I try to workout as early as I can to avoid the heat, but I can't seem to avoid the crossfitters, they are here at every hour of the day, yelling, gossiping, sex talking, stetching and foam rolling, basically doing anything but train, and they are distracting. But I will take it as a challenge.

5/08
    BW 92kg (202,5lbs)
    Squat - 131kg
    Press - 67kg
    Power Clean - 74kg

Squats were fine, rest was 3-4 minutes.
    Press: 2nd set was a 4+1. I see a fluctuation of technical problems. Mainly I have a hard time staying on mid-foot, whether it's because I swing my body back and forth or I push the barbell in front of the mid foot. I will ask for a form check on the forum and hopefully get some good advice. At the end of the day, I did my 15 reps in 3 sets. Rest was 8-10 minutes.

Cleans: left wrist is still in pain when in compression. So when I go to rack, since most of the times the bar lands between my fingers and my palm as well as my shoulders, I feel pain. The weight is not heavy, but this pain makes me lose confidence and distracts me. I'll try to use it as motivation to make the bar land entirely on my shoulders.. Hopefully since I don't seem to have problems with the other lifts, it's gonna go away. Otherwise I'll have to do a scan of it and see what's going on. Still, I did my 5 sets of 3.

I am tempted to switch to a T-T-S schedule because it would allow me to train in the morning when it's less hot. Otherwise I'm gonna have to workout in the afternoon for the next 2 weeks. I'll think about it.

09/08
    BW ~93kg
    Squat - 154kg
    Bench - 94kg
    Chins 3x8,7,5 (20)

Decided to wait till Tuesday and change my schedule to T-T-S, so that I could consistently train in the morning and avoid the hottest hours.
    Squats felt heavy enough. I noticed I was keeping my shins too vertical on the first 2 sets. On the 3rd set I gave myself the cue to throw the knees forward and the set looked better and felt smoother. I think I need to widen my stance just a tiny bit.
    I'm afraid that unless I start gaining weight really fast, I'm gonna need to switch to a single heavy set of 5 and 2 back-offs. It's taking a lot of energy to complete 3 sets. But we'll see what happens with 156kg on Friday.
    Rest was 10 minutes.

Bench went up nicely, the chalk on the bench helps a lot, especially with leg drive. My mistake was probably forgetting to adduct my scapulae properly. I was only retracting them.
    Rest was 8/10'
    Rest between chins was 3 minutes

11/08
    BW 92kg
    Squat - 131kg
    Press - 68kgx 3+2, 3+1, 3, 3 (15)
    Deadlift - 167,5kgx4+1

Squats were ok. Depth should be more consistent and I have to remember to throw my knees forward. Ironically thinking about staying vertical helps.
    Press felt heavy, 1st set was a 3+2, with a 30" rest. I keep throwing the bar in front of me.
    2nd set was 3+1. This is the same weight I got stuck at last time. I'm skinny.
    I did another 2 sets of 3 with less rest in between sets, to get a 15reps total.

Deadlift was 4 reps. I did the 5th one after a couple minutes of rest, just to get it in there.
    I believe this is just an energy problem. Gotta eat more.

13/08
    BW 93,5kg
    Squat - 156kg
    Bench - 95kg
    Chins 3x

Had to train in my garage today. Gym is closed until Wednesday, which means next workout will be in my garage as well. Only problem is I can't Press here, ceiling is too low. So I'm probably just gonna bench again.

Squat was real heavy. I think my plates are much more precise than the gym plates.
    Anyway, I managed 3 sets with 12-15 minutes of rest in between. Getting close to that plateau again.
    Technique was ok, although my left wrist keeps rolling forward, probably due to some asimmetry in my elbows, and I try to roll it back whenever I notice. Also I realized I extend my knees a little bit too early on the way up, making my shins almost vertical when I'm basically halfway up. So I tried to "use my quads", a little bit more.

Bench was heavy, I keep hitting my chest too low, creating an unnecessary moment arm. 2nd set was a 4+1. 3rd set was basically a fail.
    I blame my shitty bench as well.
    I will try again on Tuesday since I can't Press.

I skipped chin-ups. My rack is pretty short and I decided to call it a day.

I'm trying to only take creatine on my workout days to save some money, but it's probably not worth it, so I'll buy another pack of it and go back to taking it every day.
    Also I'm gonna buy new lifting shoes, these ones are not bad but they're pretty much worn out, after 3 years.

Tuesday 16/08 (garage)
    BW 93,9kg
    Squat - 132kg
    Bench - 95kg (2nd attempt),
    Cleans - 76kg - switched to DL 2x5@135kg

Garage was hot and dry (full of paper boxes).
    Got some new shoes (Adidas Powerlift 4), they're a little small, but not enough to be a problem. Mabye I'll order a bigger size.

SQUATS felt heavier than they should've, but I blame it on the heat. Still trying to get the perfect technique in. Rest was 4-5 minutes.
    BENCH was still a fail, on the 1st set (4 reps).
    Probably didn't recover from last workout.
    I increased the load by 1kg and did 2 sets of 3.
    Bar speed on the 2nd set looked fast enough. I attempted 5 reps on the 3rd set but didn't get them. Let's see what happens when I get back to the public gym.
    I did warm-ups for the CLEAN but my left wrist keeps acting up. Plus it's too hot and I'm not used to cleaning in my garage anymore.
    I switched to 2x5 deadlift at 80% (135kg)
    Grip was weak, I was sweating my balls off.
    Pretty frustrating workout. Hopefully next one will be better

18/08
    BW 94,3kg (207lbs)
    Squat - 158kg (PR)
    Press -68,5kg (PR)
    Chins 3x8,7,5 (3' rest) - I guess it's a PR because my BW went up

SQUAT: I was a little scared of the weight today, but I did it! New PR! Shins too vertical on the way up in some reps, I tend to shoot my hips back instead of up when I get fatigued. But depth was there and bar speed was good.
    Rest was 12-14 minutes

PRESS: bar path has definitely improved, laod feels lighter, probably due to my bw increase as well. New PR!!!
    Rest was 10-12 minutes

20/08
    BW 94kg
    Light Squat - 133kg
    Bench - 96kg
    Deadlift - 170kg

SQUAT: nothing to say
    BENCH: didn't feel great, but good enough to complete my sets. Rest was 10 minutes
    DEADLIFT: hook grip, 5 reps, nice bar speed
    Good session.

Looking at my training log I realized I've always kept my deadlift artificially low in the past, even lower than the squat sometimes, so I think I gotta kind of catch up on it. Mabye I'll try 175kg instead of 172,5kg on my next Deadlift session.
    And if I feel good enough I might try 80kg on the Clean. I know I have the strength for it, it's mostly a technical and psychological issues.
    Increments on the Squat will be 1kg

nice sq pr!

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Looking at my training log I realized I've always kept my deadlift artificially low in the past, even lower than the squat sometimes, so I think I gotta kind of catch up on it. Mabye I'll try 175kg instead of 172,5kg on my next Deadlift session.
    And if I feel good enough I might try 80kg on the Clean. I know I have the strength for it, it's mostly a technical and psychological issues.
    Increments on the Squat will be 1kg
    francesco - I've run into this issue a few times as my squat starts catching up to my deadlift. For me (54M) it ends up being a recovery issue, mainly in the lower back. I know that I'm in that territory when simple things like tying my shoes has me slowly standing up like I'm ancient, even during recovery days, then the deadlifts start to fail.

For me, deadlifts are my priority, for no reason other than I have made them so. I do know that if my deadlifts continue to go up, my squats will follow. So I'll typically do a modest reset of the squats while running the deadlifts up. Having said that, if your 175kg proves to be too large a jump, consider a modest (10%-ish) reset of your squat instead while sticking with your 2.5kg increases on the deadlift.

I know the thought of a reset on your squat right after rocking a PR is tough, but you'd catch that PR and set new ones soon, all while your deadlift continues to go up.

re: your cleans, just remember your advice to Roy about weight jumps on those.

Congrats on those PRs! Keep at it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    francesco - I've run into this issue a few times as my squat starts catching up to my deadlift. For me (54M) it ends up being a recovery issue, mainly in the lower back. I know that I'm in that territory when simple things like tying my shoes has me slowly standing up like I'm ancient, even during recovery days, then the deadlifts start to fail.

For me, deadlifts are my priority, for no reason other than I have made them so. I do know that if my deadlifts continue to go up, my squats will follow. So I'll typically do a modest reset of the squats while running the deadlifts up. Having said that, if your 175kg proves to be too large a jump, consider a modest (10%-ish) reset of your squat instead while sticking with your 2.5kg increases on the deadlift.

I know the thought of a reset on your squat right after rocking a PR is tough, but you'd catch that PR and set new ones soon, all while your deadlift continues to go up.

re: your cleans, just remember your advice to Roy about weight jumps on those.

Congrats on those PRs! Keep at it!!
    Thank you for your comment!
    Well the thing is I've already made a couple resets in the last few months, for various reasons.
    So on the Squat I am just now starting to make new PRs.
    I've already hit 80kg on my clean 2 months ago, I am basically stuck in the same weight range, so it's not really a strength problem, especially considering 80kg would still be less than 50% of my Deadlift.
    As far as my deadlift, me being 26/27 yo, I don't have the same recovery issues as someone in your age group (I know, lucky me).
    The reason for my previoua resets were basically me trying to cut weight and do muay thai 2x a week and changing training frequency, plus some vacation days. Now that I am eating more and gaining weight again and can recover properly, I feel I can push my LP a little more.
    But mabye I'll be proven wrong. I'm getting close anyway.
    Mabye I'm just build to Squat more than I am to Deadlift. But I thought this difference would show mostly on advanced lifters

Yep, you definitely won't have the recovery issues. Enjoy that!

I mostly put my comment up there for you to start considering different ways to approach the issue, given your desire to coach. No doubt that you'll run across it when you get older lifters in your gym.

Keep at it!

23/08
    I can't update weekly or each post is gonna be a mile long.

Squat - 160kg - YouTube 3x5 NEW PR
    Press - 69kg - YouTube 3x5 NEW PR
    Power Clean - 80kg - 1st set - YouTube
    Power Clean - 80kg - 5th set - YouTube 5x3 OLD PR

BW 93,7kg
    Change of plans, I'm going back to alternating Deadlift and Clean and I'm gonna do Chins on my Deadlift day. I kinda want to get it over with my LP and I think I can manage the Deadlift frequency if I keep eating enough and slowly gain weight and I need the Clean frequency to learn the movement correctly.
    I actually saw this on an old article by Rip, probably fron 2010, where he put Chins the same day as the pulls and not on a seperate one. We'll see what happens.
    I think I'm close enough to ending my LP that I'm just gonna have to see workout to workout how I react.

SQUAT: I knew I could still do 2kg increments. NEW PR! It won't last for long but I've decided to keep going until I can only do 1 top set of 5.
    Unfortunately I can't go to failure because my crossfit gym doesn't have safety pins, so I'm watching bar speed and rest time to be objective. So far it takes me about 3 seconds to get out of the bottom and complete the 5th rep. Rest was 12-13 minutes.

PRESS: 1st set was good, 5th rep was kinda slow so I rested more than 10'. I probably don't need that much, but I wanted to preserve energy for my cleans. 2nd set was pretty smooth, I was leaning to the right a bit too much. 3rd set was completed and we have a NEW PR!

CLEAN: Decided to go for 80kg. 1st set looked really fast. Rest was about 5-6 minutes. I don't think I should need more, plus the session is long enough as it is. My wrist is still acting up but no noticeable pain so far. Gotta stay on my mid foot, it looks to me like I swing back and forth from heel to toes during the rep. Should think about stomping my feet on the ground.
    3rd and 4th set were horrible, I was racking the bar on my chest and jumping forward. This causes pain in my left arm.
    I tried slowing down a little bit on the 5th rep
    Overall the weight is not heavy considering bar speed, it's just my technique that's shitty. And I get fatigued pretty quickly, I can notice the difference between set 1 and 5.

starting strength coach development program
    damn there were a lot of distractions in the background on that sq video lol

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast