Thread: Legit Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat 132kg
    Bench - 97,5kg - YouTube
    Deadlift - 172,5kg - YouTube
    Chins 3x 7,7,6 (rest 3')

Started training at the new gym in Sicily.
    The only big difference is their barbells are 30mm thick, I think.

SQUAT: went well, nothing to say. Rest was 4/5'

BENCH: felt good so I attempted 100kg, could only do 4 reps. This bench is much better but I still feel asymmetrical. Went down to 97,5kg and did 2 sets. Elbows are flaring out on the way up, as always. I have no idea how to solve this, I feel like I'm doing everything right. Will ask for a form check. Rest was 7'

Sidenote rant: Jesus Christ, Crossfit chicks NEVER shut up, it's so goddamn distracting. They're either screaming like monkeys or gossiping. Oh I forgot, apparently SINGING too.
    Crossfit really is a clown show.

DEADLIFT: kind of a grind but it went up

Squat - 157,5kg - YouTube (346,5lbs)
    Press - 70kg - YouTube (154lbs)
    Clean - 80kg - YouTube (176lbs)

SQUAT: felt pretty heavy, but looked ok.
    Rest was 9/10'.

PRESS: felt confident enough to go for 70kg
    Bar path was a little off balance. Rest was 7/8'.

CLEAN: 80kg moved fast, coordination was better, still jumping forward too much on some reps, but it's getting better.
    Rest was 4/5'

Squat 133kg
    Bench 100kg fail
    Deadlift 175kg
    Chins 3x7,5,5 (again, I really suck at these)

SQUAT: felt good, 3/4' rest

BENCH: 1st set was 4 reps, 2nd set was only 2. Felt really heavy and unstable. Technique really doesn't seem that bad. So I'm guessing it's just a lack of recovery. I am not eating tons of food and I did a night shift, although I managed to sleep a few hours in the night and a couple in the morning.
    Went down to 90kg and did 2 sets of 5 to get some good reps in.
    I can't believe that I have issues with the easiest barbell exercise.

DEADLIFT: 4+1, 40" break, satisfied, considering my lack of recovery

Squat - 160kg - YouTube (352lbs)
    Press - 71kg - YouTube (156lbs)
    Clean - 82kg - YouTube (180,5lbs)

SQUAT: 160kg went ok on the 1st set, I probably have cut depth on the last rep.
    On the 2nd set I visibly hit depth on all reps.
    3rd set was definitely harder, on the last rep the bar rolled slightly up, but I still hit depth.
    Rest was 10'.

PRESS: 1st set done, layback getting more frequent
    2nd set went well. 3rd set was more grindy, but completed.
    Last time I did 71kg was 3 months ago, I was heavier and I did a 4+1. So progress was made.
    I will continue with 1kg increments.
    Rest was 7/8'.

CLEAN: technique is getting better, most reps were good. Gotta find a way to stay over the mid-foot all throughout the movement. I go on my heels a little bit before jumping.
    Rest was 4/5'.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeah View Post
    Yes. Absolutely.
    Took me 2 years, but you were right. Ahaha

Squat 134kg (295lbs) (83,75% of Monday's load)
    Bench 98kg (215,5lbs)
    Deadlift 177,5kg (390,5lbs)
    Chins 3x6,5,5 (rest 2', very tired)

Didn't sleep much last night, had to sleep through the day, tried to eat a bunch of protein and came to train around 5pm. Don't expect much from this session.

SQUAT: messed around with technique a little bit (knee position, bending over). Recorded from the back I realized the bar was a little to the left on my back, and I kneed to keep my knees out on the way up.

BENCH: decided to go for an easier load. Working on my form check corrections. 1st set was decent. Recorded the 2nd set from the side, looked like shit to me.
    Rest was 8'.

DEADLIFT: I was definitely energy depleted. Could only do 2 reps in a row. I rested about 1 minute in between reps to get 5 total. Will try again on Monday.

Squat - 162kg (x3) - YouTube (356,4 lbs)
    Press - 72kg (158,4 lbs) NEW PR
    Clean - 84kg (184,8 lbs)
    I trained in the afternoon again because of my night shift. I tried to rest and eat as much as I could.

SQUAT: technique looked solid but the barbell slowed down right away on the 1st set, and since there are no safety pins, I had to stop. I decided to to 3 sets of 3 and keep the intensity up. Rest was 8/10'.
    Next time I'll shoot for 1 set of 5 and then back-off. Too bad, last time I did 162kg I managed 3 sets of 5, but hey, close enough I guess.

PRESS: warm-ups felt good. Work-set felt pretty heavy but manageable. NEW PR. Last set was a 4+1. Goddamn crossfit music distracted me. Rest was 8'

CLEAN: pretty heavy, Most sets I had to take some break between reps. Sometimes I hit my neck. These were not terrible, I just have a hard time following Rip's advice of jumping back. Kind of a new PR.

Light Squat - 132,5kg
    Bench - 95kg
    Deadlift - 172,5kg

So, I caught the flu on Sunday night, I had to skip Monday's workout. Tried to rest as much as possible and eat as much as I could while being sick. Today I wasn't 100% back, but was able to train.

SQUAT: was pretty fast. I thought I was gonna be out of breath but I wasn't. Rest was around 5'.

BENCH: definitely felt heavier so I went with 95kg. Doesn't look too bad. Trying to concentrate on squeezing the lats and using more leg drive. Rest was 6'.

DEADLIFT: breathing was pretty hard to maintain due to the pressure on my sinuses, couldn't really push hard. Did only 3 reps. I'm sure I'll do better as soon as I'm back to 100%.

Couldn't do chin-ups, I was late for work.
    I'm just happy I did something.

Squat - 160kg
    Press - 72kg
    Clean - 84kg

Still not 100% back, I have kind of a sore throat, very awful taste in my mouth all the time, and still sweat when I sleep. Also not a lot of appetite, I have visibly lost some weight.

SQUAT: 1st set was 3 reps only. Warm-ups felt good but I just feel like I can't properly push on the bar and stay focused, and I can't risk it without safety pins (thank you Crossfit). Did 3 sets of 3, better than nothing I guess. Technique wasn't bad. Rest was 6/7'.

PRESS: inspite of the squat performance I decided to see how 72kg would go.
    1st set was a 3+1+1. Rested for 5'.
    2nd set was also 3+1+1. Rested 7'.
    3rd set was 2+1+1+1.

CLEAN: warmed up but I was too tired and to pissed off to keep going.

This was obviously an under-recovery issue.
    Next session will be on Tuesday because of the holidays.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 160kg (352lbs) x3 150kg 2x5, 4+1
    Press 70kg (154lbs) 5, 4+1, 4+1
    Clean 70kg (154lbs) 5x3

I felt fully recovered from my sickness.
    But apparently I am not, I just felt like I didn't have enough oxygen to do 5 heavy reps. Technique looks good on the squat. I an sticking my elbows out on the press, I think my forearms are just too long for them to be straight, the bar would be higher than my chin. I tried widening the grip a bit. Didn't really help. Rest was 6/7'.
    Cleans also felt heavy and I was pretty out of breath. Only did 70kg to get 15 good reps in. Rest was 3/4'.

Anyway, I will book a private session with Steve in Brussels for January. I have never had someone coach me, I think it's about time.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast