starting strength gym
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Legit Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    at these kind of weights on the squats you *must* start using the safety pins. Everyone has a fail, and you do NOT want it to happen with no pins when you have 130kg on your back.

Keep making the good progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    at these kind of weights on the squats you *must* start using the safety pins. Everyone has a fail, and you do NOT want it to happen with no pins when you have 130kg on your back.

Keep making the good progress!
    Thanks for the advice, unfortunately that's the only way I can properly film myself in this gym. I still haven't felt a rep being so hard that I was afraid to fail it. I usually do my first set with the pins and if it feels good I take one out so I can record myself, of course I would use the pins if I had any doubt about the lift. Same reason why I started asking for a spotter on the bench, cause I don't feel 100% confident I can make that 5th rep so I call someone because there are no safety pins.

Bodyweight: 83,5kg
    workout:
    Squat - 132kg - 1st set - 23.10.20 - YouTube
    Squat - 132kg - 3rd set - 23.10.20 - YouTube
    Press - 56,5kg - 1st set - 23.10.20 - YouTube
    Press - 56,5kg - 2nd set - 23.10.20 - YouTube
    Press - 56,5kg - 3rd set - 23.10.20 - YouTube
    Deadlift
    -138,5kg - 23.10.20 - Youtube

Notes
    1st set of squats was bad, I was trying to not look at the mirror and bent over way too much and my low back definitely did all the work on that last rep.
    2nd and 3rd set I looked more up and it was better, I'm pretty sure I didn't hit proper depth on the 4th rep of the last set and probably a couple others as well. I hope that the weekend's recovery will solve that.Rest was 8-9 minutes. Belt was higher on 2nd and 3rd set and it felt better

The press is progressing very slowly, increments are 0.5kg. Tried the belt again, a little bit higher and it felt good. I feel like technique is improving although slowly. Rest was 7 minutes

Only 1kg increment on the deadlift, form wasn't perfect but I'm still happy cause I didn't use any straps, only chalk, and the bar didn't slip except for the last 2 reps a little bit, so I consider that progress since I had never lifted more than 120kg without the bar slipping out of my hands. Will have to still work on technique while making small jumps.
    Used the belt here too, higher than before just like in the squat and press, and surprisingly I did not feel light headed once during the heavy set.

Overall good session, took 60g of maltodextrins, protein milkshake and creatine pre-workout. I think I'm starting to feel the effects of creatine now cause I didn't feel as tired at the end of the session as I did 10 days ago.

Finally went back to training aftet gyms were shut down here in Italy last Monday, overall skipped only 3 workouts.
    I made my home gym, not finished yet but was able to get a workout in with the plates I had (only 15kg plates)

Since I'll get the real plates on wednesday today I only did tempo squats to work on technique, press and 3 singles on the deadlift.
    Starting from wednesday I'll go back to a regular recovery from lay off.

Tempo Squats - 110kg - 2.11.20 - YouTube
    Press - 50kg - 2.11.20 - YouTube
    Deadlift - 140kg - 2.11.20 - YouTube

Bodyweight: about 84kg

Workout

Squat - 120kg - 3.11.20 - YouTube
    Floor Press - 70kg - 3.11.20 - YouTube
    Power Clean - 55kg - 3.11.20 - YouTube

Chose the right weight for the squat, will do 125kg on Friday and go back to my last pr of 132kg next week. Technique felt good, I'm still trying hard to unlock knees and hips together and it seems like i'm getting there, probably too much depth and consequent knee slide.

Don't have a bench yet, so replaced it with floor presses which were a little awkward but felt really good. I kept it light at 70kg, and noticed on the first set how I was sliding my left elbow back at the bottom, so I concentrated on keeping the left elbow close to the body. I will address this on my bench press as well.

Power cleans weren't that good, probably rushed the warm up. The weight didn't feel heavy but technique wasn't there so will work on that tomorrow. Also I'll do some weighted dips just to add a little bit more pressing work with a longer rom, since i'm not doing the bench press for another week probably.

Bodyweight this morning: 84,5kg

workout
    Squat - 125kg - 6.11.20 - YouTube
    Press - 52,5kg - 6.11.20 - YouTube
    Deadlift - 130kg - 6.11.20 - YouTube

Squat felt a bit heavy,, probably because of the 5kg jump, but I managed to get through it. I think technique is improving, especially considering I'm in a totally different environment and using different equipment.

Press is still a problem, I'm trying to fix my technique, focusing on keeping my head straight and looking forward, pushing the bar up instead of back, and keeping elbows tight so they don't drop when I thrust my hips forward. Mabye there's something I'm not noticing.

Deadlift is getting better, still not using the straps, I have changed my stance by bending my knees a little bit more so I can actually use knee extension to start the movement and it feels better, I can keep the bar closer to the shins.

Bodyweight 85kg

workout

Squat - 127kg - 9.11.20 - YouTube
    Bench Press - 80kg - 9.11.20 - YouTube
    Power Clean - 60kg - 9.11.20 - YouTube

Squat felt ok, still getting used to bending knees and hips together and not sliding knees forward at the bottom.

Bench weight felt good, I still have that left elbow sliding back problem which might be causing stress on my rotator cuff(?) and discomfort on shoulder and elbow when I do PCs

I decided to finally hit 60kg because I know it's still light weight, technique wasn't too bad, I jump a little backwards, asymmetrically, and rack the bar in 2 steps sometimes.

Bw is going up so I'm happy about that.

Squat - 129kg - 11.11.20 - YouTube
    Press - 54kg - 11.11.20 - YouTube
    Deadlift - 132,5kg - 11.11.20 - YouTube

Squat felt heavy, I was trying to keep my knees from sliding forward but kept rounding my low back at the bottom and losing tension. I did the last set with a little bit of knee slide and felt better.

I think I figured out how to properly hold my breath and avoid almost passing out when pressing. Weight was still unbelievably heavy, which is weird since I have gained weight and also have been stuck with these numbers for a while. I must be messing up the technique.

Deadlift didn't feel too bad, grip was ok, mabye dropped my hips 1 extra inch but I still felt pretty tight, except a little thoracic flexion.

Bodyweight stabilizing around 85kg

Bodyweight 84,5kg

Squat - 131kg - 13.11.20 - YouTube
    Bench Press - 82kg - 13.11.20 - YouTube
    Power Clean - 65kg - 13.11.20 - YouTube

Squat felt good, still knee sliding but hitting depth.

Accidentally loaded 84kg on the first set. Still elbow sliding but no discomfort this time.

Power cleans didn't feel too heavy alrhough some reps sucked

starting strength coach development program
    Bw 86kg

Squat - 133kg - 16.11.20 - YouTube
    Press - 55kg - 16.11.20 - YouTube
    Deadlift - 135kg - 16.11.20 - YouTube

Hard time hitting depth on the squat, I will start adding a light day on wednesday so I can focus on technique and recover for the next heavy workout and keep a correct form.

Press was pretty shitty, I'll try 55kg again on Friday and if I can't finish the reps I'll start doing back-off sets next week.

Deadlift felt really heavy, mabye I took a bigger jump than I should've. I'll do 135kg again on Friday and start doing chins and RDL(substitution for back ext.) next week.

I thought I was gonna progress on the lifts a little bit longer, especially considering I'm still gaining weight, but I think I need to do some modifications to keep going (light squat day, back-off sets on press, add chins/rdl)

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast