starting strength gym
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Legit Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Today I failed
    I didn't do what I planned (light squats).
    I wanted to do what the program says which is go on until you fail and THEN change the programming. So I said to myself I'll just do 133kg again, and see if I can get to proper depth. I waited until the afternoon to workout so I would have more calories in me. But something went wrong and I failed. Not the reps, but mentally. I stopped on the 4th rep of the first set. Rested a few minutes and tried again, stopped on the 2nd one which felt like shit. Tried to deload the bar to 120kg and see if I could get some light squats in and focus on technique, but it still felt like shit. Everything just felt wrong, I kept thinking about my technique and was so self aware about my knees and chest and back angle and the bar and my elbows, everything. I tend to really obsess over things that bother me, and I can't get over the idea that my squat is wrong. It's not awful, but it's not what it would be if I were to be coached, and I know I would lift more if an ssc coached me, so I know this is not about programming, my diet is ok, my sleep too and I probably rest more than I should between sets.
    I know this is not the right attitude, but what's the point in keeping the session going if you know you're gonna fail anyway. And I know Rip would tell me that I don't know if I don't try, but it's a pretty distinct feeling.
    I don't wanna be too negative about this.
    I'll just rest and train tomorrow and saturday instead of today and friday, and try to not overthink this, which is what I usually do.
    I started training for this exact reason, to learn the valuable lessons that I keep reading, about the metaphore that barbell training is for life.
    So I will never completely give up.
    But I also wanna do this right and have an obsessive personality which causes me to focus too much on things that I shouldn't focus on when I have 130kg on my back.
    I guess this is the negative side of self-coaching in your garage.

You know what, fuck it.
    Instead of depressing myself and blame myself like I always do, I went back in the garage and did my 3 sets of 5 with 120kg, did 3x5 on the bench with 84kg and 4x3 on the power clean with 60kg.
    I left my phone in my house, didn't record myself, cause today wasn't about technique, it was about finishing my goddamn workout, and I did. Probably messed up a lot of things, my shoulders hurt, mabye I arm pulled on the power clean, but it is way better than doing nothing and acting like it's not my responsibility to lift those weights.
    There will be time to fix technique, but there will never be time to give up with no excuses.

That being said I'll probably do a deload on the squat and go back to 125kg on friday and if I get stuck around 133kg again, I'll add a light day.
    Also I need to get a coach. There's a reason why very few people do this on their own.

Bodyweight 85,2kg

Squat - 125kg - 1st set - 20.11.20 - YouTube (right angle)
    Squat - 125kg - 2nd set - 20.11.20 - YouTube (left angle)
    Squat - 125kg - 3rd set - 20.11.20 - YouTube (side angle)
    Press - 55kg - 2nd set - 20.11.20 - YouTube
    Press - 55kg - 3rd set - 20.11.20 - YouTube
    https://youtu.be/DKi9Tosc3TM

Today I felt good, it was sunny and cool outside, so I trained with my garage doors open.

Squat felt ok, I even went too deep on my first set.
    Press felt light! Still some balance trouble on the last couple reps but overall improvement.
    Deadlift felt heavy again,even with straps on. Mabye it's time to go to phase 3 and add chin-ups. So I'll be deadlifting next Friday, hopefully go for 137,5kg.
    I know it looks like I didn't make progress at all in the last month, but I feel like I'm learning more anyway.
    Can't wait to get to 3 plates.

Bw 85,9kg

Squat - 127kg - 23.11.20 - YouTube
    Bench Press - 86kg - 23.11.20 - YouTube
    Power Clean - 65kg - 23.11.20 - YouTube

Squat felt ok
    Bench felt great, and it's a new PR!
    I overestimated my strength and tried 70kg on the power clean, 1st set was ok but I failed on the 2nd, so I went back down to 65kg for the last 3 sets.
    Technique felt really good during the warm up, but I guess the 1st set tired me too much so I lost it in the following sets.
    Overall not bad.

Bw 85,5kg

Squat - 129kg - 25.11.20 - YouTube
    Press - 56,5kg - 25.11.20 - YouTube
    SLDL - 65kg - 3 sets of 8
    Chins 3x6,6,6

Squat felt good, less knee travel
    Press felt good, way lighter than my last 56,5kg PR
    SLDL was light because new, will do 5kg jumps for the next sessions
    Chins are not optimal because of rack height but still doable.

Bw 86kg

Squat - 130kg - 27.11.20 - YouTube
    Bench Press - 87kg - 27.11.20 - YouTube
    Deadlift - 137,5kg - 27.11.20 - YouTube

Squats were good, form breaks at the hardest reps but didn't feel much fatigue.

Bench was good, new PR

Deadlift wasn't quite right although I managed to do all 5 reps.

Bw ~87kg

Squat - 131kg - 30.11.20 - YouTube
    Press - 57,5 kg - 30.11.20 - YouTube
    Chins 3x8,6,6
    SLDL 70kg 3x8

Squats felt good and quick will go up in 1kg increments and hopefully won't stall again.

Press was ok, not really that hard, new PR! Will go up to 58kg on Friday and then 1kg increments.

Bw 86,5kg

Squat - 132kg - 2.12.20 - YouTube
    Bench Press - 88kg - Fail - 2.12.20 - YouTube

Squat felt great, hopefully will be able to go up with 1kg increments for a while.
    Bench press didn't feel too heavy but was probably limited by the unracking being difficult and wasting a lot of energy, I probably could have rested a couple more minutes between sets. Will try again on Monday and see how it goes.
    Power cleans didn't feel heavy but technique is still an issue I think and also I was fatigued from the previous exercises.

Bw 87,5kg

Squat - 133kg - 4.12.20 - YouTube
    Press - 58kg - 4.12.20 - YouTube
    Chins 7,7,7
    SLDL 75kg 3x8

Squats felt great, hit depth on all reps I believe and it definetely did not feel as heavy as when I failed.

Press felt good, I could have done 58,5kg but wanted to be sure to get it. Will try 59kg on wednesday.

starting strength coach development program
    Bw 88kg

Squat - 134kg - 7.12.20 - YouTube
    Bench Press - 88kg - 7.12.20 - YouTube

Squat felt good, heavy enough.
    Bench setup was better and was able to do all sets and reps.
    I was supposed to do deadlifts with 137,5kg again after a form check from Barbell Medicine, but I didn't even do 5 reps. I should probably reset and focus on technique even tho I've been stuck with these numbers for months.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast