starting strength gym
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Legit Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    they look great (even with a very boring background LOL) but damn makes me nervous as hell you doing that kind of serious weight with no pins.
    Me too kinda, but I feel strong for now, and I will stop myself if I feel scared about the next rep and just do 5 reps total.
    Anyway, in a week I will be in Albania and train at a different crossfit gym, but I doubt they have safety pins over there. Their whole thing is dropping the bar on the floor

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Me too kinda, but I feel strong for now, and I will stop myself if I feel scared about the next rep and just do 5 reps total.
    Smart move, francesco. Just realize that by using that sub-standard equipment, you're now missing out on perhaps the most important part of this phase of your training - attempting that next rep even when you feel scared. See Nick's Learning To Grind. It's a game changer when you panic as you start to your rep, but keep tight, bounce, fight through The White Noise of Heavy, and get back to lockout.

Keep doing what you're doing, because you're working with what you have, but know for you and your future clients that this is an important part of the late novice stage.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Smart move, francesco. Just realize that by using that sub-standard equipment, you're now missing out on perhaps the most important part of this phase of your training - attempting that next rep even when you feel scared. See Nick's Learning To Grind. It's a game changer when you panic as you start to your rep, but keep tight, bounce, fight through The White Noise of Heavy, and get back to lockout.

Keep doing what you're doing, because you're working with what you have, but know for you and your future clients that this is an important part of the late novice stage.

Keep at it!
    Oh yes, I am perfectly aware.
    As of now I have not yet failed a squat rep, even when I did have safety pins (as far as I can remember at least)
    Obviously this is not something to look forward to, failing a rep I mean, it's something that should never happen with an hypothetical optimal programming and recovery, but that is probably going to anyway.
    I mean, there have been multiple times where I was scared of the weight and then realized I easily had 5 reps in me, and I have failed reps on my other lifts many times.
    Anyway, in one way or another, my goal is to go back to my (possibly improved) garage gym with my safety pins.
    Thanks for the input!

BW 94,1kg
    Squat - 131kg
    Bench - 100kg - YouTube 1x5 - 92kg 2x5
    Deadlift - 180kg - YouTube NEW PR
    Chins 3x7,6,6 NEW PR

SQUAT: still beltless, rest was 3-5 minutes

BENCH: I was sweaty and forgot to bring a 2nd shirt. Nontheless, a NEW PR! Rest was 5-6 minutes.

DEADLIFT: Heavy, but still better than 177,5kg, I did my fhaves,

those deads were smooth as silk, nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    those deads were smooth as silk, nicely done
    Thanks, man!
    It's amazing to me to find out how far my limits actually were compared to my expectations

BW 95,3kg
    Squat - 165kg - YouTube NEW PR 152kg 2x5
    Press - 71kg (4+1) - YouTube NEW PR
    Power Clean - 85kg - 3rd set - YouTube
    Power Clean - 85kg - 4th set - YouTube

SQUAT: definitely getting heavier, mabye I gotta widen my stance a tiny bit to ensure depth on all reps (I tried with my back-off sets and it looked better), but the end of LP is coming soon on the squat, despite my bw increasing. Rest was 8-10' before back-offs, and 5' between back-off sets.

PRESS: getting a bit too comfortable with that layback position. I had to do a 4+1 on my last set (only 20" rest). Trying to push the bar over my head and my body under it as fast as I can. Still, a new PR.

CLEAN: getting better for sure, still need to point my knees OUT when I land to get under the bar faster, while at the same time jumping TO the bar. Also, I shift to my heels for some reason Anyway, a new PR and more good reps. Rest was 4-5'.

BW 94,6kg
    Squat - 132kg
    Bench Press - 101kg - YouTube 1x5 NEW PR 93kg 2x5
    Deadlift - 182kg - 2nd set of 3 - YouTube
    Chins 3x6,5,5 rest 3'

SQUAT: beltless, I noticed the bar is slightly tilted on the left side and my left wrist keeps flexing.

BENCH: 101kg went up nicely, in fact I feel like I could probably still go for 3 sets accross, but without safety pins I just don't wanna risk it.
    Still working on technique. My touch point is too low and I feel like my elbows are not in front of the bar as they should be. I don't know if this is a consequence of the unoptimal set up or something else. Rest was 5/6'.

DEADLIFT: hook grip was painful today. I could manage only 3 reps so I switched to 2 sets of 3. I thought that going down to 2kg increments would ensure a continued progress, but I guess my recovery is simply not sufficient.
    I lost the footage of the first set 'cause my phone fell. Rest was 6'

This was the last PR workout for the next couple of weeks. I'm going to Albania and during my trip I will lose Thursday's session. Hopefully I'll be able to train on Saturday and I'm going to repeat my last Saturday session and then repeat today's session on the next Tuesday and hopefully go back to making linear progress.
    If I am particularly tired from the trip I will go back one further session and start from there.
    Honestly if I manage to even maintain my strength during my 1 month vacation, I'll be satisfied. If progress doesn't continue after that, I'll just switch to intermediate.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    DEADLIFT: hook grip was painful every day.
    fixed that for you lol

great work and enjoy your trip!

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 130kg w/belt
    Bench 90kg 3x5 rest 5'
    Deadlift 170kg

I couldn't train on Saturday cause the gym was closed. So I had to skip 2 workouts.
    Plus, the trip was pretty exhausting and I smoked a bit the last few days.
    Diet was good I think, I manage to have the same breakfast as usual, I ate a bunch of meat. Not a lot of calories but probably not too far from my usual diet.

So, today obviously felt a little heavy so I decided to take it easy, plus this gym sucks, so I'll have to look for a different one.

Squats looked weird in the video
    Bench was all jiggly, and of course no safety pins allowed, so I kept it relatively light.
    Deadlifts felt heavy and hook grip was painful, I only did 170kg.
    I guess my body forgets how to be strong pretty fast.
    Hopefully things will go back to normal in a couple of workouts

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast