starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slavic Strength LP [22y/o M]

Default Slavic Strength LP [22y/o M]

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone, I've decided to start recording my weekly training log in this thread (mostly as a diary for myself).
    Since the beggining of this year I've lost about 8kg of weight and did almost zero resistance training- mostly cycling, long power walks (up to 15km) and sometimes dumbells at home.
    Male, 22y/o, height: 185cm (6'1''), starting weight: 71,2kg (157lbs)- perfect picture of praying mantis physique.

Previous expirence: years wasted in the gym not following any decent strength program- mostly some bro-ish push/pull/legs routines.
    All the gyms in my country are locked down, but I do have access to a private gym (cool place, gym set up in old barn in the middle of the forrest, 20km from my town, deadly Covid-19 can't get me there). I just hope that horrible Polish government won't lock us down at homes, so I wouldn't be able to drive there.

I have read the book two times- in English and in Polish (decided to buy a physical copy in my mother tounge). Only modification I'm planning to do is swapping power cleans with barbell rows (yeah I know, NDTP).
    Never did NLP. Goals are to get stronger and healthier (both physically and mentally), gain weight. I'm a university student, studying Automation Engineering. This semester we're studying remotely so I don't have much stress in terms of rushing for the classes, dealing with professors, taking the trains, running late etc. I can easly get 8-9 hours of sleep every day. Money isn't the issue since I'm getting nice scholarship and saved some money from summer jobs, so I can afford good quality and quantity of food. If I do f**k up any of the recovery aspect then it's only my fault and I can't blame any outer circumstances.

I'm training Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and I'll be posting weekly updates on my lifts and subjective feelings (appetite, sleep, any other things that come to mind).

Starting stats: Squat: 50kg 3x5; Bench Press 40kg 3x5; Deadlift 60kg x5; Press 30kg 3x5.
    Calories: 3000kcal+, 200g+ protein, more carbs on training days, little less carbs and more fats on rest days. I'm amining to gain 0,5kg+ per week, will adjust calories accordingly.

END OF THE WEEK #1:
    Squat 60kg 3x5 : Went really smooth, I can probably get away with 2-3 more 5kg jumps.
    Bench 45kg 3x5: Felt light, took one 5kg jump, I'll take 2,5kg from now.
    Deadlift 70kg x6 (miscounted) Felt light, miscounted reps, probably need to squeeze the chest out more and keep the lockout tighter.

Sleep has been great this week, food is coming in nicely and easy- already seeing appetite improvements, 3000kcal is going like nothing- lots of good quality carbs, veggies, healthy fats and nice meats (tracked my calories for a few days before I started my NLP, just to see how much I was consuming already and they were at 1900-2100kcal per day, mostly from protein and veggies and I just couldn't crush more).
    Last edited by Macieg; 11-09-2020 at 02:32 AM.

welcome! it's great you've read The Book several times in 2 languages...how'd the translators do? keep eating and do the program as best you can, it really pays dividends

oh and keep eating

I'd say that Polish translation is really accurate, all of the anatomical and form aspects are well presented. As far as keeping Rip's sense of humour and expression style it's also really good. I'd highly reccomend it to someone who doesn't speak English and cannot understand original book or online articles/videos. There is also translation of PPFST which I'm planning to get and read probably next month.
    Last edited by Macieg; 11-08-2020 at 09:11 AM.

END OF THE WEEK #2:
    Body weight: 72,4kg/159,6lbs (+1,2kg/2.6lbs)- Food at 3000kcal+ every day with 200g protein+.
    Squat: 75kg 3x5- last set recorded (sorry for the quality, send by a friend over facebook): All sets went smooth, bar didn't slow down, just had to squeeze a bit harder on the last rep. Friend made me wear his knee slevees because of my crancky knees, he couldn't stand the noise and sleeves reduced it. They weren't too tight, didn't feel any additional bounce at the bottom, just made my knees warm and comfy. If someone could suggest if I should go for one more 5kg jump depending on the form and bar speed or just go for 2,5kg from now on I'd be grateful.
    Bench: 50kg 3x5. Took just one another 5kg jump as 45kg went really light. 50kg felt good but I will take just 2,5kg increments from now on
    Press: 35kg 3x5. Took two 2,5kg jumps, both went good, no grinding at all, just need to practise hip usage more (as described in the book, now my press is more strict-ish).
    Deadlift: 85kg x5. Seems to be going just right, 85kg felt pretty much the same as 80 and 75.

General conclusions: Appetite is good, maybe on my rest days I do feel bit too full, probably because of too much fiber (veggies overkill), need to monitor it. Sleep is all right- getting 8-9 hours every day. I'd like too keep gaining weight with this pace (0,5kg+ per week on average). On my rest days I just do a couple of brisk walks after my meals (20-30mins 3x per day) or just one longer walk (45min-60min)- just to keep my appetite high and be able to hit calorie goals. So far so good, will post another update on next Saturday.
    Last edited by Macieg; 11-14-2020 at 12:27 PM.

END OF THE WEEK #3:
    Body weight: 72,3kg/159,6lbs (-0,1kg since week #2)- Despite increasing calories to 3200kcal+ I've dropped weight (stayed at 72,3kg for 4 days in a row, so it's not one day error)... I guess that whole milk/kefir and peanut butter will become my friends for a little while now. I will keep diary drinks out of calorie count and just hit pint with my breakfast and supper hoping that weight will catch up.
    Squat: 82,5kg 3x5 - decided to go for 2,5kg jumps since beggining of week #3 as my weight didn't go up. Squats are still going really good, bar speed, form and depth are pretty much the same workout to workout. Got my own cheap knee sleeves to keep the joint warm (crancky noisy knees since I can remember).
    Bench: 55kg 3x5
    Press: 37,5kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 95kg x5 - this Saturday's deadlift got really heavy and last rep was grindy and probably ugly as hell. Will probably repeat this weight one time to improve the form and make sure I'm getting stronger in proper movement pattern, without back rounding
    Row: 50kg 3x5- decided to add lighter pulling day, started with easy rows executed as described in the book. Chin-ups: did two sets to failure, just to check if I'm able to do any (never trained chins before), managed to get sets of 6 and 5.

General conclusions: Sleep is all right, still getting at least 8-9 hours every night. Need to add more food which shouldn't be a problem as my appetite is still quite good, I may be even little hungry on training days. I should be squatting in the 200lbs+ range really soon, so I can't stay below 160lbs bodyweight if I want it to happen.
    Last edited by Macieg; 11-22-2020 at 08:45 AM.

END OF THE WEEK #4:
    Body weight: 73,1kg (161,2 lbs)- weight has caught up where it should be and I'm fine with this tempo. 4lbs of bodyweight in month isn't maybe some outstanding number but it's still progress and most of it is "good" weight, already can feel some changes how my clothes fits. Food is still at around 3200kcal+.
    Squat: 90kg 3x5 - first time squatting with belt, felt quite good despite it isn't easier- I can brace harder and feel if I'm losing tightness so I can correct myself instantly/next rep. 40kg/88lbs added to squat in one month? Hell yeah I'll take that.
    Bench: 57,5kg 3x5
    Press: 41kg 3x5 - decided to start microloading (0.5kg plates) as 40kg pressing session got really grindy.
    Deadlift: 97,5kg x5 - I've repeat 95kg deadlift once to improve my form and today's heavier deadlift went better. Two plates deadlift next week, yay.
    Row: 52,5kg 3x6 ; Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure: 6x5x4

General conclusions: First full month of NLP went quite well, only had 1-2 "weak" days (feeling quite beaten up on rest days). University studies, quality sleep, food, gym and mental health are priorities. Appetite is good, food is pleasure again. Im quite active outside the gym, really enjoing forrest walks with my friends, hitting around 10-13k steps each day despite that harsh slavic winter is coming. So far so good, hoping to make some nice progress during next month.
    Last edited by Macieg; 11-28-2020 at 09:29 AM.

nice progress! 2 plates is a nice milestone

Why no power cleans? IMO, the most fun exercise of SS. Much better than squats. And, imo, the only one that increases speed significantly.

Btw, I admire your level of English. Maybe in Poland people speak it more than in your neighbouring Czech Republic, where I was living in for a while a few years back.

END OF THE WEEK #5:
    Bodyweight: 72,9kg (160,7lbs). Again, weight has come down slightly despite being quite strict with my caloric intake. I guess that 3200-3300kcal per day has become my maintenance now, so I just need to increase calories and work on lifting the fork and spoon for more reps lol.
    Squat: 97,5kg 3sets x 5reps. No recording this week. Squats are becoming really heavy, that's more I've ever squatted for sets of 5 at such low bodyweight (I might have squatted 100kg x5 for one set at 85kg BW in 2017 if I can recall correctly).
    Bench: 62,5kg 5x5x4. Failed to get last rep on my last bench session, spotter had to take it out as it moved back onto my chest. I guess I just got to greedy with 5lbs+ increases without significant gain in bodyweight, so I'll try to complete 3x5 at this weight next session and start microloading.
    Press: 41kg 5x4x5. Felt really weak that day, I've already felt my press not increasing while warming up (30kg felt heavy and crancky), so I tried to repeat previous session weight with better form but that failed also. Man gotta eat.
    Deadlift: 100kg x5. Two plates, thats kinda cool. I've found out that steel plates at my gym are not of standard diameter, so I'm pulling from a deficit (adding lifting shoes).

General conclusions: This week has been really stressful. Lot's of university work crunch, family problems and minor fights, sometimes life just happens and thats all right. I need to eat up more to not stall on LP so quickly.

starting strength coach development program
    congrats on 2 plates, and great work despite all that life throws at you. i find that lifting, especially deads lol, helps me get through just about everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast