starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back At It after a 9 month break.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    when i was able to squat i used to like to unrack a very heavy amount and just unrack it, hold it for a few seconds, then rack and do whatever weight. so if i was doing 315 i would load 365 on the bar, unrack that, not try to squat it but just feel the weight, then put 315 on the bar and squat it. made the 315 seem lighter
    I will give that a go.

I like Mr. Bingley's idea also. I must try that but I'm not quite ready to try it with 365. Maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I like Mr. Bingley's idea also. I must try that but I'm not quite ready to try it with 365. Maybe someday.
    Maybe 20% more than your scheduled lift would do the job.

I think I seem to recall your biggest issue with squats was shoulder mobility problems. Has that improved?

No. I stick with the safety squat bar. You should see my silly squats in competition with a straight bar. I wind up lifting them on my neck. Hence I keep the weights very low. I did set a PR with the safety bar in December before surgery. I haven't lifted since. The surgery had nothing to do with lifting but the healing takes time.

No. I stick with the safety squat bar. You should see my silly squats in competition with a straight bar. I wind up lifting them on my neck. Hence I keep the weights very low. I did set a PR with the safety bar in December before surgery. I haven't lifted since. The surgery had nothing to do with lifting but the healing takes time.

It's great the safety squar bar helps, at least with training.
    I think I will get one of these bars too once I finally get the chance to build up a home gym.
    If I can stay injury free I might even compete.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    It's great the safety squar bar helps, at least with training.
    I think I will get one of these bars too once I finally get the chance to build up a home gym.
    If I can stay injury free I might even compete.
    I really enjoy competitions...except for the squat. I'm encouraged by what I can do with the safety but my straight bar efforts are embarrassing and if I'm not careful, dangerous.

I really enjoy competitions...except for the squat. I'm encouraged by what I can do with the safety but my straight bar efforts are embarrassing and if I'm not careful, dangerous.
    I do shoulder stretches every time I take a hot shower, seems to be somewhat more effective with the increased temperature of the being in the shower.
    Also I do barbell pullovers but I don't go heavy, just the bar, using it as a stretching type of exercise.
    Exercise Index - Barbell Pullover - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    I do shoulder stretches every time I take a hot shower, seems to be somewhat more effective with the increased temperature of the being in the shower.
    Also I do barbell pullovers but I don't go heavy, just the bar, using it as a stretching type of exercise.
    Exercise Index - Barbell Pullover - YouTube
    I tried those a couple of times. I landed for two months in PT and did not lift weights during that time. That was 6 years ago.

That would have been a massive kick in the guts.
    A lot of people would have thrown in towel after an injury like that. Great to see you stuck with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 75kg, 5, 5, 5
    OHP: 42.5, 5, 5, 5
    Deadlift: 110kg, 5

Squat: 77.5kg, 5, 5, 5
    Bench: 67.5, 5, 5, 5
    Light Deadlift: 65kg, 15

Squat: 80kg, 5, 5, 5
    OHP: 45kg, 5, 5, 5
    Deadlift: 112.5kg, 5

Going to add chins now - actually it will be lat pulldowns and seated rows for about a month then I will add chins.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast