starting strength gym

Thread: NLP, 25, 5'7'', 136lbs

Default NLP, 25, 5'7'', 136lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone! First post here, mostly for accountability.
    I did 4 weeks of 5x5, starting from empty bar on all lifts, except deadlift which started at 95lbs. Then I switched to Starting Strength LP, skipping stage one and going straight to alternating DLs and PCs, and have been doing that a little over 3 weeks. I’m 25, 5’7’’, 136lbs guy (only a couple pounds heavier than when I started, which isn't ideal)

Weights when I switched from 5x5 to SS (basically just meant doing 3 sets across instead of 5, and subbing PCs for Barbell rows)
    Squat 125*3*5
    Bench 85*3*5
    PC 75*5*3
    Press 75*3*5
    Deadlift 155*1*5

3 weeks later:
    Squat 170*3*5
    Bench 105*3*5
    PC 110*5*3
    Press 82*3*5
    Deadlift 185*1*5

I think I increased weight too fast on power clean, so repeated the same weight last workout. All other lifts feeling manageable (RPE 8ish). Increasing 5lbs/workout on squat and bench, 10 on deadlift, and 2lbs on PCs and Press. Definitely know I have a lot left in my LP, but will need to eat to support.

Let me know if you have any thoughts! Will try to update semi-weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglander View Post
    Hi everyone! First post here, mostly for accountability.

. . .

I’m 25, 5’7’’, 136lbs guy (only a couple pounds heavier than when I started, which isn't ideal)

. . .

Definitely know I have a lot left in my LP, but will need to eat to support.
    There's a lot of stuff on this site emphasizing that eating to support recovery is a part of the program--from the beginning and not just at some future time. Here's a go-to reference for your consideration:

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    There's a lot of stuff on this site emphasizing that eating to support recovery is a part of the program--from the beginning and not just at some future time. Here's a go-to reference for your consideration:

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe
    Thanks! I know that currently i'm in YNDTP land when it comes to calories, going to work on that the next couple weeks. Doing pretty well with protein though!
    Last edited by newenglander; 12-22-2020 at 08:59 AM.

12/22/20 update

Eating more than I was, and more protein. I’m ovo-lacto vegetarian, so that looks like a protein-powder in my oatmeal, soy (seitan/tofu/edamame), eggs, half-gallon of milk a day, nuts, and lentils/quinoa/chickpeas/beans as the basis for most dinners.
    I went from 134lbs on 12/4 to 137.8lbs on 12/22, shooting to maintain 1-2 pounds per week. Eating more than that and I just feel terrible, and compliance becomes an issue.

Friday
    Squat 185*3*5
    Bench Press 115*3*5 (failed my last rep of last set, so going to repeat this weight next time)
    Power Clean 110*5*3 (I took weight off the bar to work on form, and it feels much better)

Monday
    Squat 190*3*5
    OHP 88*3*5 (failed my last rep of last set, so going to repeat this weight next time)
    Deadlift 225*1*5 (took some bigger jumps on DLs because it felt like the RPE was too low, not a problem anymore lol)