starting strength gym

Thread: Home Gym NLPish

Default Home Gym NLPish

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well after what has essentially been a nine month, government mandated layoff, my girlfriend and I managed to put together the funds for a home gym. I've lost ~20 lbs and am weak as a kitten now, but it's time to get back to business. However, I have a few limitations that preclude a to the letter NLP.

-I live in a one bedroom apartment, so standing presses are out, and I have to be very careful setting down my deadlifts. So far I've experimented with kneeling presses, seated presses on a bench, and I'm going to try pressing seated on the floor. I'll run with whichever I like most. Suggestions welcome.

-I have concrete plates and a shitty bar. That's right, concrete plates. They're called Caveman Weights if you're curious. The company sells the molds, and you pour them yourself. I found a guy that was making and selling them. Weird, but it was the only way to get an appreciable amount of weight immediately for a very reasonable price. About $1/pound vs. the $4/pound some people are charging. Durability is a concern, but they seem pretty solid so far. At least they've let me get back to training.

-The concrete plates, shitty bar, and downstairs neighbours mean power cleans may not be in the cards. Not an issue yet, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm planning to order some crash pads to address this and the deadlift issue, but Olympic lifts are TBD.

-I also don't have any 5lbs plates yet, which may require some odd weight jumps and/or rep progressions at times.

-I also just enjoying fucking about with a couple of sets of chin/pull-up variants at the end of each workout. Not technically the program, but sue me.

The workouts so far:

12/22/20
    BW 198
    Squats 225x5x2
    Kneeling press 95x5x2
    Chins BWx7x2

12/24/20
    Bench 155x5x3
    DL 275x5x1
    Chins BWx8,7,7

These were basically just to find some decent starting weights and minimize DOMS. The starting weights felt about right. The DOMS was not even remotely minimized.

12/27/20
    BW 202.4
    Squats 230x5x3
    Seated press 100x5x3
    DL 285x5x1
    Close neutral chins BWx7x2

First real workout. Squats felt better than the other day, but I'm not going to push the jumps too hard. Not sure which pressing variant I preferred, but they both moved pretty easily. Probably a few more 5 lbs jumps there before I have to think about microloading. I'm trying to follow Santana's advice of getting the deadlift way out ahead of the squat before reducing frequency, so I took a 10 lbs jump there. Still not all that challenging, as I was able to set the bar down gently enough to not bother my sleeping husky, let alone the downstairs neighbours. Going to take two days of rest before my next workout, as I anticipate more DOMS, and would like to get onto a MWF schedule.

It's good to be back!
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 12-27-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot today's BW

12/30/20
    BW 200
    Squats 235x5x3
    Bench 160x5x3
    DL 295x5x1

Not a ton to report. Didn't have much in the way of DOMS after last workout. Could have worked out yesterday, but now I'm onto the MWF schedule I'd like to stick with going forward. Everything today was pretty smooth. Form continues to feel better with each workout.

1/2/21
    BW 197
    Squats 240x5x3
    Kneeling press 105x5x3
    DL 305x5x1

Who was I kidding? A New Year's Day workout was never going to happen. Banged it out today instead. Everything still moving nicely, except my body weight. I attribute it to vacation. I sleep in, so tend to eat brunch instead of breakfast, amounting to two real meals per day. I'll get it moving in the right direction once I get back into the usual routine next week. I find it easier to stick to a regular diet while I'm working. Also, I think I'm going to stick with the kneeling press for the time being. It feels most similar to a standing press so far.

1/4/21
    Squats 245x5x3
    Bench 165x5x3
    DL 315x5x1
    Chins BWx8x2

Made it up to my goal of reattaining a three plate deadlift, so I'm going to slow that one down. 5 lbs jumps, and perhaps adding in a lighter pull on B workouts. I'll experiment with power cleans, but I'm not sure I trust my equipment. Might go with snatch grip deads, or even just a light deadlift, instead.

1/6/21
    Light Squats 225x5x3
    Kneeling Press 110x5x3
    Hang PC 95x5x3

So I introduced the light squats today. Probably earlier than I had to, but I wasn't feeling particularly recovered from Monday, despite eating and sleeping pretty well, and something in the groin area was bothering me a bit. Still is in fact. Nothing major I'm sure. I'm happy with slow and steady on this run of LP. I only have so many plates! Also started relearning power cleans. Kept them nice and light, and since my 25s aren't bumpers, they were hang cleans. I did the first rep right from the jumping position, the second from the knees, and the third from mid-shin, hopefully roughly where they'd be on the floor with 45s on.

yeah, we've all had to get creative this year! have you tried working in some pendleys or other row variations? i don't have a rack, just steel plates and a bar, so it's been all deads and rows for me

Not yet, but they're under consideration! I have some dampeners coming some time this month, so I'm going to wait for those before I do anything like Pendlays where I set them down pretty hard. I've considered "bodybuilder" style rows as well. I actually like explosive type lifts though, even though I kind of suck at them. So if I can clean I will. I just don't know how much to trust my shitty equipment haha.

starting strength coach development program
    i got a couple of those foamy interlocking floor pads at Lowes, they dampen the sound a little but not probably to the extent you're looking for. and i also have steel plates, which ring like a damn church bell compared to iron lol