• starting strength seminar february 2022
    13 September 2021
    Weight - 215
    Squat - 360
    Bench - 180
    (Deadlift - 385x1)
    GHR - BW+15 (12, 12, 12)
    Chin - 6,6,5

I repeated the squat weight because I didn't feel comfortable with how the squats went on Friday. They were unsteady, which means a high likelihood of floating high to compensate. Today felt much better so I can move on up.

Bench went well. What a difference a properly loaded bar makes. I'll move up by 2.5 lb increments now.

I wanted to test my hamstring, so I added in a run-up of deadlifts. 315x2 felt okay and didn't have the hamstring complaints that it did last week. 365x1 was a little talkative, but I felt comfortable adding 20 lb more for a single. Now we'll see how it feels tonight and tomorrow. I honestly don't know if it's a soreness that's workable or something more serious. If I'm good to go on Wednesday, I'll repeat 395.

GHRs went, but were probably tougher than necessary due to deadlifts. The next weight up is 20 kg (if I stick with single weight plates) so next week will be more telling.

I was gassed by chins. Not surprised they regressed a bit. They'll also be better diagnosed next week.

Default NLP Week 39

15 September 2021
    Weight - 214
    Squat - 255 (light)
    Press - 130 (4,4,3,3,3)
    Deadlift - 395x2*

Press continues to be better than before. Again, very close to the 4th rep on the third set, but I had definitely misgrooved the 3rd one. That bought me an extra set of three as punishment.

I ran deadlifts up to 395 to see how the hammy would fare. (Aside, it feels like the semitendinosus is strained.) 315 had no issue but at 365 I could feel it. I got the first two at 395 just fine, but the hamstring kept talking louder and louder. Halfway up the third, it got to the point of concern so I bailed out. I'm trying very hard not to be impatient about it. I assume it'll be fine by next week, so long as I don't do something stupid before then. The question will be whether to repeat 395 or do 385. Either way, my squats are creeping up on my deads yet again.

Default NLP Week 39

17 September 2021
    Weight - 215
    Squat - 365
    Bench - 182.5 (5,4,4)
    Clean - TBD
    Chin - TBD

First set of squats felt surprisingly strong and crisp. Fatigue made quick work of that, but all three sets were solid as usual. The hamstring didn't speak to me during the sets so I'm optimistic about deadlifts next week.

I wonder, though, if I'm carrying squat fatigue into the other lifts. I was still really gassed through the bench press warmups despite taking a bit of an extra break. I don't know if that was the reason for the bench failure, but it seems reasonable. I'll repeat on Wednesday after light squats and see how it goes.

I was doing alright-ish on cleans. Had it working at 140, but I had one that landed really awkwardly on the shoulders and jarred me pretty good. It was painful enough that the next attempt was all out of sorts, so I'll come back in the morning on Saturday to try them again. (The shoulders are feeling better now, about an hour afterwards.) The catch is definitely my make/break point right now. If I get UNDER correctly, I catch it. I still have some re-training in my brain on that, but it's slowly getting better. Slowly.

Chins on Saturday too.

As a side note, I saw this weekend that the well-executed novice started modifying the squats at around this weight by adding the back-off reduction. It may be time to start looking at advanced novice modifications to squats. I'll have to think long and hard about that this weekend. I kinda don't want to modify it; I like the struggle of the squats.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    I was doing alright-ish on cleans. Had it working at 140, but I had one that landed really awkwardly on the shoulders and jarred me pretty good. It was painful enough that the next attempt was all out of sorts, so I'll come back in the morning on Saturday to try them again. (The shoulders are feeling better now, about an hour afterwards.) The catch is definitely my make/break point right now. If I get UNDER correctly, I catch it. I still have some re-training in my brain on that, but it's slowly getting better. Slowly.

Chins on Saturday too.

As a side note, I saw this weekend that the well-executed novice started modifying the squats at around this weight by adding the back-off reduction. It may be time to start looking at advanced novice modifications to squats. I'll have to think long and hard about that this weekend. I kinda don't want to modify it; I like the struggle of the squats.
    Embrace, nay, squeeze the hell out of that UNDER cue. Not so much that you end up doing a squat clean, but drop those hips quickly as soon as your feet (or heels) return to the platform (depending on how much of a jump you are getting now). Now that I've tied my 5x3 PR, I'm noticing that I really need to focus on that part of the cue, especially as I got tired for the last few sets. It's a very good thing that these are 5x3s, not 3x5s like the rest of the lifts (except DL).

re: squat back-offs - I hear ya. Just know what the tradeoffs are if you keep running 3x5 at your full work set weight. It looks like you found it today.

Keep at it!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516