• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    12 May 2021
    Weight - 204
    Squat - 295
    Press - 110 (5,5,4,2)
    Clean - 130*

Squat went well. I felt my back where I tweaked it, but it didn't complain. I think I have one more 10 lb jump and can resume normal LP.

Press went far better today than before. I was really, really close to getting that 5th rep on the final set, too. Maybe my back was slowing it down? I have no idea. I've also been trying to improve shoulder flexibility the last few days and will keep doing so. My shoulders are stiff enough I could very well be binding up.

Cleans went well. I got three sets in. The first couple sets were fine, but things started turning to mud in the third. I think I should probably back down 5 lb and make sure I get five clean sets in. I also think my back tweak was affecting things as I can still feel it even though I stopped lifting about two hours ago. I should also be prudent in my increase on the deadlift on Friday. I'm still not 100% and don't need to set myself back out of impatience.

Default NLP Week 23

14 May 2021
    Weight - 203
    Squat - 245 (light day)
    Bench - 170
    Deadlift - 295*

Squat went well, as a light day should. I didn't feel any issue with my back injury this time.

I was worried about not making the bench, in part because of a stressful week and in part because the first two sets weren't great. I think I had a couple bad bar paths in each of those sets that ended up fatiguing me more than they should have. The third set was much more secure, though, and felt like a third set should.

The deadlift felt fine at 275, which was an improvement over last week. I added 20 lbs and the back injury started talking a bit, so I called it there. It's getting better, but healing is slow and I'm trying not to get impatient over it. All in all, though, I think today was good progress.

It's good you're taking it slow. I lost about two months to a series of back tweaks from being impatient.

Default NLP Week 24

17 May 2021
    Weight - 205
    Squat - 305
    Press - 110
    Clean - 125

The back felt a lot better throughout this weekend, and I think it showed today. The squat was solid and I never felt any complaint. Much as I want to get that third plate back, it's probably best to resume 5 lb jumps now that I'm back to my (good form) squat PR.

Got the press. :-D Actually all three sets felt really solid - almost like how sets felt when I could make 5 lb jumps. I'm not going to be that aggressive, though. I'll take my 2.5 lb jump and like it.

Dropped the clean to 125 just to be sure I could get 5 sets of 3 in and get it back on track. It also went really well. I need to get better at slamming my elbows forward. Otherwise, everything felt normal again. The back didn't turn to mush and the jumps were much sharper. I'm feeling much better about going for 315 on deadlifts on Wednesday and getting everything back on track.

Nikola: thanks for the encouragement! Sometimes I really do need to be reminded not to be an idiot.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 05-17-2021 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

Good run, Hooper! No need to feel like you're being an idiot during this, your second, run through NLP. We all learn a bit more each time. I think that's better than rushing into an intermediate program.

Looking back, this is an extension of my fourth year running a NLP (I've restarted every year except this one), and it wasn't until this cycle that I've figured out the back injury/progression cycle that works for me to keep lifting. Surprisingly, not far off of what's recommended elsewhere on this site.

Keep at it!

Thanks Bill!

Believe me, I want to keep on NLP as long as humanly possible. I was this --><-- close, however, to adding one of Nick's tweaks from that video you linked on tiny's log. I would have gone to 112.5 and dealt with the 5,4,4,1,1 or whatever progression. Now I have the three sets and can move up on normal NLP. :-) I just have to accept that a 225 lb press isn't happening for me for a very long time. (Still keeping that goal though!)

I'd be all ears for hearing what you've learned w.r.t. injury/progression; i mostly tried to gauge mine based on the grey book and how things felt at more conservative weights but I would love to have more points of view for the future.

I'm with you on trying to squeeze every last drop out of the NLP. I didn't take my normal winter off from lifting, so now I'm much closer to intermediate than I've ever been, but I'm still trying to run out the NLP as far as I can for each lift.

re: press - Last Wednesday was my 3rd attempt at 132.5x5x3 for the Press, which I didn't make for the 3rd time in a row, so I was going to step up to 135x3x5 today. It wasn't until Friday that I ran across Nick's video, right before my bench workout, which is right near the same situation (I had to crawl out from under the bar for of all 3x5s), so that lift may soon follow Nick's plan. Today's press will still be attempts to 5x3, but we'll see.

re: injury/progression - pretty much everything that's been said here on the site. Keep working through it and modify only what's necessary. For my last back tweak, I realized, at 53, that I didn't need to keep squatting heavy 2x/week + deadlifting heavy 2x/week; the volume was beating me up. So, in that case, I kept pushing the weight up with each workout, but changed to a HLM program for my pulls so that I'm only pulling heavy across 1x/week (Monday) [I'm continuing to progress, tweak-free, using Andy's example for Client #2]. Squatting and pulling heavy with a back tweak, for me, is fine. It's just when I get out from under or put the bar down that I have to grab the rack for a minute; tying shoes can be interesting, too. But now I know that after a week or two, it settles down and I can get back to normal. Every once in awhile I can feel it a bit as I get under or get set to pull the bar, but that just reminds me to keep everything tight through the whole movement.

I almost feel like there needs to be a support group for getting stuck at 132.5. That first plate is RIGHT. THERE. :-/ Good luck with it!

Thanks for the info. I'll keep all of that in mind. I've already switched squats to a heavy/light alternation where the light day is deadlift day and the heavy day is clean day. That really helped me out by not having both heavy squats and deads so close together.

Haha. There probably should be. It's almost as if the mental hurdle of switching to a single plate introduces interesting form drifts that slow that progress.

I had to laugh getting ready for my workout. As soon as I entered my comment above, I tied on my lifting shoes. I haven't felt any back tweaks in a while, but lo and behold, what was there when I stood up? I did a fair bit of work in the forest over the weekend, so that might have contributed.

And unfortunately, a clean 135x5x3 was not to be mine today. I mis-grooved my third rep of the first set, which set the tone for the rest of the lifts, although I did get up to a x4 on my 4th try (2, 3, 3, 4, 3). But I'll keep pressing like Nick said, getting as many reps as possible each time without a failure.

Default NLP Week 24

starting strength coach development program
    19 May 2021
    Weight - 205
    Squat - 235 (light day)
    Bench - 172.5 (5,5,4)
    Deadlift - 315

Light day on squats again. I took 10 lb off since the last light day because I wanted to go beltless. Usually I belt up for anything over 225, so it seemed prudent. I may continue doing that for light days to force myself to focus on stability a bit more.

Bench failed on the last rep. I had a feeling that would happen after the second set, which became a real struggle to finish.

Deadlift went well. I could feel it in the back, but not in a complaint sort of way. I don't know yet if another 20 lb jump is in the cards next time. If the back continues to get better, maybe, but it might also be prudent to use 15 or 10 lb jumps now. Either way, once I'm at 335 I really should go back to 10 lb jumps. It's been a while since I've done that weight so I'm sure I've regressed a bit. My deadlifts are not canonically 50-100 lb ahead of my squats, but that's because the two injuries set me back more on the deads than on the squats.Separating heavy squat and deadlift days is keeping them from interfering, so I should be fine.

Bill: sorry to hear about the tweak!

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast