• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    30 June 2021
    Weight - 205
    Squat - 255
    Bench - 160
    Deadlift - 275

Legs are finally feeling close to normal. The squat didn't bother me this time, so I added 30 lb and called it good for today. I'll keep moving it up and dialing back the jumps until I need to re-introduce the light day again. This is probably the weight I should have done when returning from vacation, rather than killing my legs over 295 lb.

Adding 15 to the bench was plenty. Solid, but heavy enough to feel like work. I'll back this down to 5 lb jumps now.

I had planned on 255 for the deadlift, but it felt so easy at that weight that I stopped after 2 reps and bumped up to 275. That's 50 lb up from Monday. On Friday, I'll add either 20 or 30 lb (depending on how recovery goes) and probably dial back to 10 lb jumps after that. I'll probably add the cleans back in once the deadlift is up to 325 or so, depending in part on how much gap I have between deads and squats.

I'm starting to ramp calories back up in my diet, now that lifting is approaching work levels again.

There's no point in a monthly progress table since it was a vacation month. I don't really even know where my strength is right now.

Default NLP Week 28

2 July 2021
    Weight - 207
    Squat - 275
    Press - 112.5 (5,5,4,3)
    Deadlift - 295

Added 20 lb to the squat again, perhaps for the last time in this re-introduction. It's starting to get hard again, and 10 lb jumps are quite sufficient. We'll see how things feel on Monday, but likely I should dial it back now.

Press went well. I probably could have had a clean 3x5 but realized I forgot my belt on the third set. Likely it was no more than just a mental issue, but still. I AMRAP'd the makeup set and got a couple extra, so I feel good about 115 next time.

Deadlift went fine. I feel I can tolerate at least one more 20 lb jump before I have to decide whether to drop back. I'm also getting close to the point where heavy squats and deads on the same day will be counterproductive. I think I'll be alright on Monday with the two-day break, but power cleans and light squats are likely to return soon after that.

Default NLP Week 29

5 July 2021
    Weight - 207
    Squat - 285
    Bench - 165
    Deadlift - 315

I dialed back the jumps on squats to 10 lb. Given that I haven't been at 325 (my max before vacation) for a full month, I'm sure I've lost some strength. I just don't know how much, so it's time to ease the jumps. I probably could have done 295 just fine, but 285 was definitely a good step up.

Bench is also approaching NLP again. I will need to decide whether to do another 5 lb jump on Friday, or go back to 2.5 lb jumps from here.

This might also be my last 20 lb deadlift jump too. It went fine, but 20 more would be 335 lb, and I was at 345 a month ago. That might be a bit aggressive. Either way, it's probably about time to separate the heavy squats and deadlifts again. I was definitely feeling the squats while pulling. This will allow me to bring back the power cleans as well. I've been doing a couple sets as part of the deadlift warmups, but I've obviously lost a bit of progress on them so I'll have to dial them back too.

All in all, a good day. Getting back to NLP after having screwed up my post-vacation re-entry.

Default NLP Week 29

7 July 2021
    Weight - 207
    Squat - 295
    Press - 115 (4,4,3,2,2)
    Clean - 125

Squat went well. I could probably do one more 10 lb jump before settling back to normal 5 lb increments.

Press was really mushy on the first set, to the point that the 4th rep was very grindy. The second set was much sharper and I almost got the 5th rep on that, but I think I was soft on it and couldn't get it. From there, things went down. I'll see on Monday how Nick Delgadillo's press protocol treats me, as I think today was a matter of missing the groove but I don't know if that will slow progress.

Clean was surprisingly crisp, and I felt the transition from first pull to second pull better than ever. I had thought I would be at 120 lb today, but it was easy enough that I pushed work sets to 125. I had one miss in the 4th set but made up for it. (It was just bad technique. I knew it as I jumped.)

Great to find this log, it seems like we started at just about the same age/weight/experience, and it's very encouraging to read about your results 29(!!) weeks later.

You'd mentioned an injury in one of these latest postings - what happened and when?

Hi! Skimming through your log, it does seem like we're in similar lanes. I wouldn't be surprised to see you pass me on presses, though. You had a much better starting point.

Thanks for the review of my progress. I often get frustrated at taking two steps forward and one step back.

As for the injury - back on February 18th, I cracked a rib while warming up on deadlifts. (Here.) I had a 3" belt on order and was using one of the gym's 4" belts. The buckle got up under a rib on the very first warmup pull while using the thing, and I felt/heard the crack about halfway up. It took me three weeks to fully recover, but I think that keeping at it helped the recovery.

There was another on deadlifts where I didn't back off enough after coming back from a cold. I tried redoing my last weight rather than taking a lighter day and ramping back. I got the set of 5, but tweaked my lower back halfway up the final rep (likely a herniated disc, but I never had it evaluated).

Recently I got DOMS from coming back too aggressively on squats after vacation. Again, I got the 3x5 in, but my ability to lift was exceeding my ability to recover. I have a tendency to be overly aggressive after breaks, and I'm slowly learning the hard way.

Default NLP Week 29

9 July 2021
    Weight - 208
    Squat - 225 (light)
    Bench - 167.5
    Deadlift - 325

Nothing to report on light squats.

Bench went well. Maybe 170 would have been fine? I can never quite tell. Either way, I'm back on NLP.

Deadlift also went well. I probably could have had 335 for one last 20 lb jump, but it was work enough that I'm okay with it. 10 lb jumps are definitely the order from here on. I did do a few power cleans during warmup to try to reinforce technique, but nothing exhaustive.

Good to see you back, Hooper. And it's good to read how you're handing your return from vacation.

I'm about to do the same thing (in a few minutes). I've been off for 2.5 weeks, so now it's time for a proper reset, although I have just 8 days before I'm off again for 1.5 weeks. So it's more of a maintenance week where I need to keep the intensity a bit high. DOMS here I come!

Default NLP Week 30

12 July 2021
    Weight - 209
    Squat - 305
    Press - 117.5 (4,4,3,3,2)
    Clean - 130

Much of the recent weight gain is body fat. I can see that difference. I'm at a level where I need to be mindful of it.

Squat actually went better than I thought. Even the last rep never really got grindy. One more 10 lb jump might be in the works. We'll see how things feel on Friday, as 5 lb isn't a shame either. It's just so obnoxious to load 310 on the bar.

Trying Nick Delgadillo's protocol of getting 15 reps at all cost. It was technically better than last time, but still couldn't get 5 reps in a set. Still, up to 120 on Friday.

Cleans went mostly alright, but I think I warmed up too close to the work set. I did some at 125 lb just to feel the weight. By the final set, I was really struggling and had a couple drops. I might repeat the weight on Friday. After that, I might drop to 2.5 lb jumps. I finally saw in the grey book, page 87, where it mentions 2.5 lb jumps for cleans. (Before, I had only caught on to the well-executed NLP example in the grey book, and that dude never jumped less than 5 lbs.)
    Last edited by David Hooper; 07-12-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Fixed reps on press.

Default NLP Week 30

starting strength coach development program
    14 July 2021
    Weight - 208
    Squat - 235 (light)
    Bench - 170
    Deadlift - 335

Focused on cueing a tight back on light squats this time. I hadn't revisited that in a bit so it seemed prudent.

Bench went well. The grind was starting to come back, which seems right, given the time off and de-load.

Deadlift also went well. Another gym rat said my back was rigid throughout, so there's that.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast