• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    23 August 2021
    Weight - 212
    Squat - 345
    Bench - 187.5 (3,3,2), 185 (3,3)
    Back Extension - learning
    Chins - 6,5,5

Lots to unpack today. Over the weekend, I took a long and careful read through the blue and grey books. I made the decision to move my pulls to a more advanced novice progression for a couple reasons. First, I was probably overdue; the 'well-executed NLP' in the grey book added chins at the same deadlift weight I'm at now, and that was a younger, more athletic dude who had done football (i.e., had weight training history) and started much stronger than I did. I did have a couple setbacks which had me repeating the low 300s a lot, so perhaps that helped me move up a bit more, but I'm still probably close to the limit of 10 lb jumps every other workout. Second, I really need to get chins back in. Between time constraints and just being exhausted at the end of the normal lifts, I haven't been chinning. The heavier everything else gets, the harder it is to add chins. By modifying the pulls, I can program them in and treat them more like a core lift (which, honestly, I need to do).

I spent a lot of time figuring out a plan and settled on the following:
    - heavy squats on Monday/Friday, light squats on Wednesday. This will actually be 2 more heavy squat days per month than before.
    - continue alternating bench and press
    - back extension / chin on Monday, deadlift on Wednesday, cleans on Friday

This puts the light squats on deadlift day, which has worked very well for me so far. I have a day of chins guaranteed now, and can either add some in on Friday if time is available, or come in Saturday morning and get chins in. (This is why I put BE/chin on Monday; I can add that second day more readily.) Weights will continue to go up as programmed (5 lb on squats, 10 lb on deads for a little bit more, and 2.5 lb on presses). Very soon I'll back the deadlifts to 5 lb gains but I'd like to see if I can go for the fourth plate first.

On to the lifts:

Squat went well. After the first set, the Big Hairy DudesTM had stopped their conversation and were just staring at me. We get along well and they knew where I started, so I felt good to know the progression was that obvious.

The feelgoods lasted all the way up to the Bench. Warmups were fine, but the instant I unracked the work weight, it all felt completely different. I could get triples in but just had nothing beyond that and had to set a couple reps down on the safety rails. Lots of double-checking the weights (accurate), the setup (unchanged), and everything I could, but benching felt like a whole new animal, and behaved much like a kid not wanting to go to school. I pulled the microplates off to see if I could feel the difference - it was noticeable but not enough to matter. I now think I had low blood sugar. I'm not positive, but I'm going to up the pre-workout carbs and see if that helps. I've never had an experience like that before. I'll repeat the weight on Friday and triage from there.

The back extensions were actually fun. Getting into position was harder than the exercise itself. I did 2 sets of 5 and then a set of 10 and called it a first workout. I can now baseline and ramp up.

I did better on chins than expected for such a long layoff and for increased bodyweight. My right wrist hurt but I think it's from screwing up power cleans the last few weeks. Time to ramp them up.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 08-23-2021 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

Default NLP Week 36

25 August 2021
    Weight - 214
    Squat - 245 (light)
    Press - 135 (2,2,2,1,1), 125 (3,3,3)
    Deadlift - 395x4

I'm just not getting the initial launch on the press high enough. Once it's above the forehead, I can almost always grind it out, but I'm failing to get it there. There's no way I'm doing nine singles to count it a victory, so I dropped to where I could get triples in. I may try again on Monday at 135 and see if I can film myself. It's very possible my initial bar path isn't as good as I think it is. Plan B is to go ahead and do a back-off period to re-collect the sets.

I should have had the 5th deadlift. That was on me, mentally. I still worry too much about the time I hurt my back and I was slower on the pulls than I should have been. I also took a couple extra breaths after the 4th rep, and I should have just gone for it. Another inch or two more on the 5th rep and I could have locked it out. Lesson learned. I'll repeat the weight next week. It might be time to drop to 5 lb jumps, but that's probably going to wait until after 405.

Good thoughts on the pull programming. I've been mulling it over too while reading the books.

Looking back to this past Spring in the weeks leading up to my deadlift stall, I was following an HLM template, but not the one in the books. As you know, I wasn't pulling my heavy deadlift on my light squat day. Then I was doing cleans for my light day, which I would follow with my chins. My medium day was an intensity deadlift (a single of the next heavy deadlift), based off of an Andy Baker article on HLM programming. So naturally the deadlift stalled until I moved the deadlift to my light squat day.

Since then, I've done a fair bit of reading and realized that the typical template and examples in the books (both PPST3 and BBRx) would have me doing less than that (I have to keep reminding myself that, at 53, volume is not necessarily my friend). So next week I'll do the same as you, following that program of the well executed novice program, which is actually HLM programming for that novice, with deadlift (H), chins (L), and cleans (M).

Have fun with those back extensions; I always liked doing them. I'm assuming that you're using the back extension bench for those? They're easy to load up to 45lbs, but after that, it's a hassle to wrangle multiple plates while doing them. I never did them with barbells, but I imagine that's not much better. I scribbled notes in the PPST3 Advanced Novice example that these are also Good Mornings, Romanian Deadlifts, and Stiff Legged Deadlifts, but I didn't note where I found that information (probably in the articles here). Those would be more loadable than using the bench. Regardless, have fun with this new bit of variety.

BTW, great work! Especially getting the Big Hairy Dudes™ to stop and watch. That is one thing that is missing with my home gym, but it's not enough to give it up.

Thanks for the thoughts. As squats and pulls slowly morph into something resembling intermediate programming, I'm trying to follow the principle of tweaking only one thing at a time so I appreciate hearing past experiences. This was adding back extensions and chins, which necessitated a couple other adjustments to keep light squats / deadlifts together. Other than that, it's unchanged.

I've also been feeling a little less beat up this week, perhaps from doing a very easy back extension intro rather than plowing forward with deadlifts. I'll probably go for 3x15 on the BEs next time (IIRC it's the blue book that mentions higher volume, more specifically for GHRs but I assume it applies to both). From there I'll add weight. The gym has 25 kg plates, dumbbells, kettlebells, and even a few 100 lb plates (!!!) that go unused, so I could probably work myself up to quite a bit of weight before worrying about loading issues. I also assume that, by the time I run into that problem, I'll probably be doing BEs only once every other week or so, as my programming becomes truly intermediate.

And yes, it's a GHR bench. It's one with the rollers rather than fixed pads, unfortunately, but it does have a knee rest just below the rollers. I'm going to see if it suffices for GHRs as I'd really like to transition to those eventually.

I'm lucky to have a gym where pretty much everybody is cool and is there to work hard and heavy. I'd trade it, though, for a good home gym. I'm actually looking at finding a larger house next year sometime, so it might be in the works in the future.

Default NLP Week 36

27 August 2021
    Weight - 215
    Squat - 350
    Bench - 187.5(4), 185(4), 175(5)
    Clean - 140(x)

EDIT: 28 August 2021: Chins 7,5,6
    I took a longer rest between sets 2 and 3 and eked out another.

Squats don't lie. I pushed down a bit to make sure I was hitting depth. It made them quite tough, but still doable. No sticking on the way back up.

Bench was better than Monday, but I failed on the 5th rep of the first set. I backed the weight a tick and failed again on the 5th rep. One possibility is that I may be keeping the bar a bit forward of the shoulders at the top rather than directly above. Over time, I've slowly creeped up the bench in my setup. It helps unrack the bar, but I did click the rails a few times. When I adjusted down the bench a bit, it really strained my elbows to unrack the bar. Next time I bench I'll get a liftoff and have the guy check my alignment.

I got some cleans at 140, including a couple that were downright nice. But I just struggled on them. I need to get coaching so I'll see what I can do to convince the better half to let me travel amidst the Delta Delirium.

In other thoughts:

- I should up the protein. I've been targeting 200 g/day for a long while, and this week I failed all lifts except squats and back extensions (new). Deadlift failure was a different issue, but more protein can't hurt, and it's probably time to aim for 225 g/day minimum.

- I think it'll be wise to back off on both presses and bench. Press to 125 or so and get the sets built back up. Bench probably to 175, with a 5 lb jump or two, just to get the sets of five back in order. Since I cannot physically lock out the bar at the top of either press, I have to deal with time under tension from unracking all the way to racking. Getting sets of 5 really helps me with the endurance, so I don't want to switch to triples until it's absolutely necessary.

- Didn't get chins in today due to lack of time. I should be able to swing by the gym Saturday morning and get them in. Hence why my back extension / chin day is on Monday. I can flex chins on Friday/Saturday on power clean day. I'm really hoping chins help drive the presses upward.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 08-28-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Default NLP Week 37

30 August 2021
    Weight - 213
    Squat - 355
    Press - 125 (5,5,4,2)
    Back Extension - 15x3
    Chin - 7,6,5

Squat keeps feeling like I have more to go. I did float high on the first rep of the last set (first reps are the hardest for me to feel), but punished myself with a slow descent and rebound on the next. I generally allow one float in a day, so I don't mind moving up.

Dropping a bit of weight on the press was probably the right answer. I had a misgroove in the final set but don't know if it cost me the 5th rep or not. I'll use 2.5 lb increments from here. After the worksets, I also did a quick run-up of partial presses using Bill Starr's article at 135, 145, and 155 lb. Just popped the bar as high as it would go and held it there as long as reasonable for triples. Hoping it helps me with the start of the press as I move up again.

I forgot how sets of 15 felt. Now I remember the burn. I may do the same again next week, and possibly add a few lb to the middle set and see if I'm ready to work the weight up or not.

Same number of chins as last time, but they felt better at the start and dropped off more quickly. I think it was largely the fatigue, so I'm okay with the numbers. I need to figure out the best day of the week to consider using a band for volume. Until then, bodyweight AMRAPS will do.

End of month:

Lift Start Now August Gains Comments
    Squat 105 355 35 Great progression for a change.
    Press 46 125 0 Same weight due to backing off, but better sets.
    Bench 75 185 10* Got 10 lb, but going to back off due to last week's failures.
    Deadlift 155 385 30 Should have been 395. >:-( Still, solid progress.
    Clean 65 135 5 Still struggling at 140. Hoping to travel to coaching soon.
    Back Extension - BW - Just started. Still at bodyweight.
    Chins - 7,6,5 N/A Off and on, but now I'm getting serious about these.

No travels in September, except hopefully to visit a coach. Hoping to continue progress for another month.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 09-04-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Fixed the date.

Default NLP Week 37

01 September 2021
    Weight - 214
    Squat - 245 (light)
    Bench - 175 (back-off)
    Deadlift - 395

I backed off on the bench press as planned. 175 went well so I'll go to 180 next time. Still not sure why last week was such a dud, but 175 felt much like it should.

Got the 395 deadlift. Being more aggressive at the start helped tremendously. I just need to trust that I'm setting my back hard enough and go for it. I know I'm very near (or may be even at) the point of dropping to 5 lb jumps, but I just don't see how I don't try for 405 next week.

Good progress for the month, Hooper, all things considered. Now's the tough part, as you're flirting with that purgatory where folks tend to start program hopping, based on what I've watched over the last couple of years here.

Hopefully you can get in to see a coach this month. I'm looking at the same thing, still waiting to hear back.

Keep at it! And nail that 405!!!

Thanks, Bill!

I've really been starting to think about that. The grey book mentions that intermediate programming is a function of the person's goals (e.g., competitive lifting vs. sports), but I don't have my goals defined yet. My pulls are basically into intermediate programming now, and the squats probably aren't far behind. I'm really hoping to string out the press and bench on NLP for a while so I'm very much looking at a transitional phase where I don't really belong in either classification. For now, I'll just make the smallest tweaks I can to optimize progress.

The coaching is in flux at the moment. Events that would have made it easy to see coaching seem to be changing, so I'll probably have to plan it out more deliberately.

After I get that 405 I'll very likely cut the increments down to 5 lb. Deadlifts are really starting to take it out of me now.

Default NLP Week 37

starting strength coach development program
    03 September 2021
    Weight - 214
    Squat - 360
    Press - 127.5 (5,5,4,2)
    Clean - 135

Edit 04 Sep: Chins 7,6,6. Aaaallllmost had 8 and 7, respectively, on the first two sets. Chins are getting smoother too. Baby steps.

My right hamstring is still sore from deadlifts on Wednesday (light strain, maybe?) and it was talking to me throughout the squats. It wasn't be enough to suggest not squatting today, but it was a nuisance and made the reps move slower. Got it done but hopefully the soreness goes away over the weekend.

Press is moving so much better now. I should have had a shot at 5 on the last set, but had a couple misgrooves. I seem to throw the bar forward as I get tired. I did more partial presses up to 155 to close it out. I think holding a heavier bar helps with the perception of it but it's too early to be sure.

I held at 135 to continue to diagnose my clean issues. My cue went from "fast, jump, feet" to "ramp, jump, under". Now that the bar is moving faster at the start, I can focus on accelerating it smoothly. I also suspected that I wasn't really bending my knees during the catch and switched the cue to emphasize that. After a few attempts at 125, that really seemed to make a big improvement. I had pretty good sets at 135 with the bar coming down onto my shoulders much better than it had been. I still need coaching on cleans, but at least I feel like I made some progress today.

I ran out of time for chins, so they'll wait until Saturday. That's probably the norm.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 09-04-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast