starting strength gym
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Less weak than last week

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Great work on those cleans! Similarly, when I first started them a few years back, I would barely soften my knees, which meant that I would catch the bar with my collarbones. That didn't feel good, nor did my lower back. It has taken me a while to get comfortable enough dropping low enough to get under it, but that sure helps. Nice cues!

BTW, our discussion about back extensions. I was doing some searching here on the forums on figuring out starting weights for RDLs and found a discussion from a few years ago that set off the run down the rabbit trail. A mention was made of Bill Starr articles on RDLs, SLDLs, etc., that were over on another site. For reference for you for later, should you decide to branch out from the back extension bench — Bill Starr's Bulletproof Lower Back Part 1. Part 2 is linked at the bottom of the article.

Looking forward to seeing you pull that 405!

Default NLP Week 38

06 September 2021
    Weight - 212
    Squat
    Bench
    GHR - BWx10, (BW+10)X(10,10)
    Chin - 7,6,4

Reason #327 I want my own home gym. I get to the gym all ready to go, and find out they're closing in 30 minutes for Labor Day. They posted it on Facebook, but I'm not on Facebook, so...

There was no way to get the squats or bench done in time, so I decided to punt on those. I did a very rapid warmup on the elliptical, and headed straight to the GHD. I tried a glute/ham raise for the first time and actually found it quite doable. I paused at the back extension at first so I could be sure and get the hip/knee transition right. After a few learning reps and then a bodyweight set of 10, I grabbed a 10 lb bumper and hugged it for two more sets of 10. It's probably the same difficulty with my arms in front of my chest rather than unweighted over my head, but it's a start. I'll just add a bit of weight as I can, making a linear progression out of it. I may also try to use sets of 15 at the start and let it slowly drop to sets of 10 once it's legitimately heavy.

Due to time, I hurriedly squeezed in the chins between GHR sets. They didn't go particularly well because I was sucking wind pretty quickly, but it was that or nothing at all. Maybe I need to find a way to add conditioning in. I have the Prowler article saved and the gym has Torque Tanks, so I could maybe do it a couple times a week.

I'm going to stick with Wednesday as my light squats/deadlift day and Friday as heavy squats/cleans. The light squats will let me groove back into it after a small break, and hopefully I'm rested and ready for the deads. (My hamstring is still tender. It worked just fine for GHRs but if it's bothersome during deadlift warmups, the 405 may have to wait. It'll be a game day decision at this point.) I hope the presses don't suffer too much, but honestly a small break won't hurt. I've been beat up the last few weeks. This seems a good time to take advantage of the situation as best as I can.

Bill: Thanks for that link! I read through it and have it bookmarked as I'm sure I'll come back to it. Bill Starr didn't program deadlifts, so it makes sense that he'd have to add good mornings or deadlift variations to get the lower back work in. I can see the value to something like that for intermediate programming, however, especially if/when deadlifts get programmed to every other week. For now I'll keep the GHRs in place and see what they do for me.

Boo! That is a very good reason to have your own home gym. I haven't looked back at the old gym since I built mine, well, other than the fact that I pull into one of the parking spaces while dropping the bride off at her work (which is right next door). But the unplanned break may work in your favor, having an extra bit of recovery on your road to that 405.

I am amazed at how many businesses/interests only post on FB, especially considering the press that FB has rightfully received over the past few years. I've mentioned that to a few volunteer organizations that I'm interested in and their response is typically "eh, we do OK."

Agreed. Hoping to buy a larger house next year. The current one is too small to fit a gym. We'll be in a good spot to make a move next summer and I'm already starting to scope out the gym purchases so I know what my expenses will look like. I may very well need five sets of 45s by then, which is just blowing my mind.

I kinda get the FB thing because it seems so easy for them to post updates. Recently, though, it seems it's harder to see the updates without a login. Still, they did the same thing on Memorial Day so I should have guessed at it. Note to self: check hours before all holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    Agreed. Hoping to buy a larger house next year. The current one is too small to fit a gym. We'll be in a good spot to make a move next summer and I'm already starting to scope out the gym purchases so I know what my expenses will look like. I may very well need five sets of 45s by then, which is just blowing my mind.
    While you're looking, I highly recommend Grant's gear over at The Strength Co.. A Starting Strength Coach in Southern CA, he started, then ramped up production of gym equipment last year during the all of the lockdowns. Everything is US-made and quality. I was impressed enough that I convinced my son to stay away from the Amazon racks and bite the bullet on the pricier rack. He abuses the hell out of it in ways that I don't understand, but hey, that's his thing. He's quite pleased with it.

Grant's plates are also very high quality; you need to compare his prices to the other steel calibrated plates, since that's what he sells. Every single one of mine, from the 2.5s to the 45s, are well within the already tight tolerance. Last year, during the first production runs, I put my order in and topped out at 4 plates, figuring that with the additional smaller plates and bar totaling 518.5lbs that I would be good. But as I sneak up to 405 (maybe by the end of the year, but probably not) I've thought the same thing about needing to order another pair of 45s. Even more so as I consider switching to rack pulls during my winter maintenance season. Either that or a pair of his new 100lb-ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Either that or a pair of his new 100lb-ers.
    Haha! The gym I frequent has 100-lb plates on the monolift. I have yet to see anybody even consider using them. Maybe I should use them on a busy day, just to see if anybody notices. Perhaps when I can overhead press 245 lb.

That's the spirit!

Default NLP Week 38

08 September 2021
    Weight - 214
    Squat - 255 (light)
    Bench 180 190 (2,2,3), 175 185 (4,4)
    Deadlift - X
    Power Clean - 135 for a few
    Chins - 7,6,5

Well, that was a day.

It turns out that loading a pair of 45s and a pair of 25s makes the bar 185 lbs, not 175. Why in the world did I think it was 175? I thought I was doing 180 when it was 190, etc. No wonder it was a pile of garbage. I wonder if I did the same thing when I missed 187.5 a while back? I didn't even realize the mistake until the end, when chatting with another guy and complaining about struggling at '175'. He looked at the bar with a puzzled look and said, "but that's 185". I'm an idiot.

I warmed up for the deadlift, but the hamstring was still talking to me. I got to 315 and the talking suddenly got a lot louder, so I aborted the attempt. I'm pretty sure it's a mild strain and I don't really know what's workable and what's a bigger injury waiting to happen. I went to power cleans for a bit to work on cues, then closed out with chins.

The chins are getting better but the number isn't going up yet. If I stay stagnant a couple more weeks I may introduce a volume day with a band.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 09-09-2021 at 06:13 AM. Reason: errata

I've never done anything like that. Nope. Never.

Default NLP Week 38

starting strength coach development program
    10 September 2021
    Weight - 214
    Squat - 360
    Press - 127.5 (4,3,3,3,2)
    Clean - TBD 140 (3,3,3,2)*
    Chins - TBD (BW-30) (11,10,8)

I repeated the squat weight from last Friday due to missing heavy squats this Monday. They were more unsteady than usual, with longer rest times and a couple extra breaths mid-set (see press).

I also repeated the press from last week, with fewer reps per set than before. Things were just sluggish. I had forgotten that I had helped out the local curling club last night with a lot of stone moving and on-ice assistance. Having spent the better part of 3 hours trekking stones across the building, standing/walking on ice, and doing Scottish upright rows (one curling stone in each hand at 20 kg per stone) to get them over the boards for about 30 reps, I had probably burned up my legs and shoulders more than I thought. I remembered this about halfway through the presses, so I don't feel too bad about the results today. I'll see how things go next week.

On account of this, I decided to move cleans to Saturday morning and will fill them in once I have them done. I'll also get the chins in during that time as well.

Edit - Added Cleans and Chins

Cleans went much better. The RAMP,JUMP,UNDER cue is definitely helping. As I fatigue, the old habits creep in, so I do have some relearning/recalibration to do. The asterisk in the numbers is because I banged my right kneecap very hard on the last rep of the 4th set. It hurt enough that I decided to call it a day on the cleans. It's doing alright but I'm sure I'll have a pretty bruise for it. Chalk that up to fatigue, I think. I'll have to monitor bar path in later sets. Either way, I'll do 140 again next week.

I went with banded chins today, using a 30-lb band to allow more reps. I forgot that it doesn't do much at the top of the rep, though that's a good thing. I usually fail at the top, not the bottom.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 09-11-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast