• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    27 September 2021
    Weight - 212
    Bench - 185
    Squat - 375x(2*,5), 350x5x2
    Banded Chin (BW-30) 12, 10, 8
    GHR - (BW+25)x10x3

Tried the bench before the squat. It did feel more solid than doing it after heavy squats. Not sure if it's worth keeping as it screws up timing between the squat and GHR, though.

On the heavy squat, it felt very much like a misload so I re-racked the bar after two. Turns out I was probably just off-kilter under the bar. Rested a few and tried again, and it felt right. Hooray, bonus squats.

Did chins next to rest before GHRs after squats.

Upped the GHR to 25 lbs. I felt like the rollers (hey, I didn't buy the GHD) made it easy to cheat the motion, so I should redo them to be sure I was doing them correctly.

Lastly I'll have to watch if weight is in fact decreasing. I felt rather bloated today, for whatever that's worth. If I am losing fat I'll need to be sure it's not compromising strength progress.

Default NLP Week 41

29 September 2021
    Weight - 211
    Light Squat - 265
    Press - 137.5x2, 135x(3,3,2,2,2,1)
    Deadlift - 395

The bottom of the press just wasn't going fast enough at 137.5 to be feasible, so I did 135 again. It was just enough to allow triples. Since Friday is a bench day, I may do presses again on Saturday to get more frequency. I'm usually in for chins on Saturday anyhow.

Deadlift was solid. The last rep got slow and grindy at the end, but I've regained my 395. So far the hamstring isn't complaining at all, so hopefully the strain is history.

Weight has gone down 4 lb in the last week. Some has to be water weight, though I drink water like a fish and get plenty of salt. I'm pretty sure it's mostly the right kind of weight loss but I'll have to be careful about it.

End of month:

Lift Start Now September Gains Comments
    Squat 105 370 15 Slowed by hamstring strain.
    Press 46 135 10 Nick's Protocol is helping, but still very slow going.
    Bench 75 185 0 Had to back off, and then had a dumb misload.
    Deadlift 155 395 10 Did 395 at start, strained a hammy, and re-did 395 at end.
    Clean 65 140 5 Finally made progress with better technique.
    GHR - BW+25 - Switch BEs to GHRs for more hamstring work.
    Chins - 8,7,6 +1

Get to see a coach on October 8th. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    I also have permission from the better half to go travel to coaching, so I'll get that set up for October.
    Excellent! Well worth the time and money. I had my planned session with Adam Lauritzen last Friday and then was able to squeeze in another session on Monday. So many notes, so many things to think about.

Default NLP Week 41

01 October 2021
    Weight - 212
    Squat - 370x5, 350x5x2
    Bench - 187.5x(4,1)
    PC - X

Unmitigated disaster today. I was all ready to go to the gym when a last-minute video conference came up. Two hours later, I was finally heading out when I am normally devouring lunch. In hindsight, I should have taken care of the food issue better.

Misreading my log (turn the page, dummy!), I loaded 370 instead of 375 for squats. I'll have to do 375 again next week for that mistake.

Following squats, though, the tank was completely empty. On the first set of bench, the 4th rep was really grindy and I was a bit unsteady at the top. I didn't trust re-racking it so I just lowered it to the rails and went from there. After that, I had a searing pain I my left palm when I tried to bench. It felt like something was on the bar and digging into the palm. Aftr a few failed attempts, I tried to bench through the pain but it was bad enough to affect it, so I abandoned ship. I don't know what happened.

I had absolutely nothing on cleans. Even 135 was a failure, and the couple times I did get it, I was lightheaded at the top. I took that as a cue and left to eat. I'm still jittery from hunger, so I must have been depleted. I'll come in on Saturday for chins and see if I can salvage something else while I'm in.

Edit: Saturday, 2 October:
    Cleans - junky but worked on form
    Bench - 187.5 (4,4,3)
    Chins - 8,7,6

Things moved slow today, probably because of working out yesterday. Bench felt better but didn't have the 5th reps in me. The hand pain was still present but I found a way to grip that avoided it. I don't think that affected the press but I don't know.

Almost had the 9th chin, but no dice.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 10-02-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Default NLP Week 42

04 October 2021
    Weight - 212
    Squat - 375x5, 350x5x2
    Press - 137.5x2, 135x2x2, 125x5,4
    GHR - (BW+25)x12,12,15
    Chin - (BW-30)x14,11,9

Probably should have done 380 on the squat. I had it in me. I'll miss squats this Friday due to coaching, but I think I can go for 380 next Monday.

A couple bad launches at 135 kept me from triples on the press, so I backed down to where I knew I could get full sets and called it. After a lot of thinking last night and this morning on Bill Anders' switch from NLP and the 15-or-bust protocol to Nick's intermediate pressing, I think it's probably time to do the same. I've been beating my head against the wall on both presses for some time now. I just didn't want them to stall this light, but I did start at 45/75 on overhead/bench.

Better on the GHR. Getting my toes off the foot plate helps keep me honest during the back extension portion of the GHR, and removes the assistance from the rollers. As I get nearly horizontal, I then push the feet against the plate to finish the second half of the movement. I decided to go for 15 on the final set because I had it in me.

Better on the chins too.

I'll do normal bench work on Wednesday, but I'm preparing to switch to intermediate pressing next week. I'll discuss with the coach this Friday as an idiot check, but I'd rather get 2 lb/week of slow progress than 0 lb/week on rapid progress.

I'll do normal bench work on Wednesday, but I'm preparing to switch to intermediate pressing next week. I'll discuss with the coach this Friday as an idiot check, but I'd rather get 2 lb/week of slow progress than 0 lb/week on rapid progress.
    Exactly. I know that I was able to run up my doubles and singles, but really don't know how that would translate to heavier 5's than where I stalled. But then again, Nick's programming has Intensity singles, not 5s, so I suspect a x5 test every month or two would be in order. Or not. ETA: I had my realization about this process during today's Intensity session here.

Today will be that first Intensity Day for the presses. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Let the experiments begin.

And have fun with that coaching session!
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 10-04-2021 at 07:02 PM. Reason: ETA

I just didn't want them to stall this light, but I did start at 45/75 on overhead/bench.
    So you've pretty much tripled your Press capability and more than doubled your bench capability in these several months, all while holding down a job, living a life, and not being 18! That's pretty damn impressive!

... but I'd rather get 2 lb/week of slow progress than 0 lb/week on rapid progress.
    Exactly.

(NB: Introductory format plagiarized (no, plagiarized) shamelessly from readytheharpoon's stellar Starting Strength training log.)

Me. A 44-year old desk worker who avoided gyms largely due to the circular logic of having skinny arms.

My physical starting stats.
    - 5'9" tall
    - 177# starting weight

Why do I train.
    - Hate being weak.
    - Want to be physically capable for as long as possible.
    - Strength always appealed to me more than cardio.

My training history.
    - LOL
    - Did about 6 weeks of Starting Strength in 2016 before a few months of work/personal travel nuked my habit. I just never went back.

The pandemic.

Commence my Novice Linear Progression.

Yes, those press numbers are atrocious. A part of that is due to a deformed elbow (congenital dislocation of the radial head) which is missing about 30 degrees of extension (i.e., cannot straighten out by about 30 degrees). Grew up with a fear of hurting it with weights, but eventually decided it's worth the risk if I'm careful and keep a close watch on it. I can always titrate the progression if it becomes a fear, particularly for the deadlift. So far it hasn't.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 10-04-2021 at 07:22 PM. Reason: ETA your very first post, with important parts Bolded.

I guess I need a reality check every once in a while. :-)

You're dead on. The progress is actually something I can be proud of.I'm also 10 months into this. Were it not for a few setbacks along the way, I'd have ended NLP by now.I really shouldn't be surprised the press is done.

Once the squat runs out of improvements on the back-off sets, it'll be time to end the novice log.

Default NLP Week 42

06 October 2021
    Weight - 211
    Light Squat - 265
    Bench - 187.5
    Deadlift - 405x3

First set of bench was a 5, but then it went to triples. I'll start Nick's intermediate pressing next week.

I completely psyched myself out on the deadlift. I know it's just 10 lb more than last time, but the 4th plate was in my head - as was worry about hurting myself right before traveling for coaching. The first two pulls felt so solid that I got relieved and got sloppy. I dropped my hips on the third and made it harder than it needed to be. I was waaaaay off line with the 4th and had to set it down to regroup. From past experience, that kind of gaffe is the end of pulling for the day. I just don't recover fast enough to get another one in so I wrapped up. I'll get it next time. At least now I know I can pull 405. I just have to do it for a full set.

On to coaching!

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry to hear about the deadlift, but I completely understand. I get to certain points on that lift where I get into my head too much. My wife will even call me out on it before my work set; she's good like that, channeling her inner Rip to keep me moving. Also, I have that same experience when there's a hard grind mid-set - the next may or may not break the floor, not going very far, and that's it. Even a 20% reset will fight like hell. Always best to call it at that point.

You've got it. Perhaps some guidance from the coach on Friday will help.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast