starting strength gym
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Less weak than last week

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There's your 405! Right on! It will be a x5 soon enough.

re: deadlift and shoes - you're going the opposite direction from me. I used to take off my weightlifting shoes and put on my New Balance Minimus, which are as close to barefoot as you can get and still be in shoes (other than FiveFingers). After awhile, I just got lazy and quit swapping them out. But I haven't gone back to see how the setup differs for me. That might be a fun experiment later this year.

Keep at it, Hooper!

Default NLP Week 44

18 October 2021
    Weight - 212
    Squat - 380x5, 355x5x2
    Strict Press - 117.5x5x5
    Power Snatch - 85x3x5
    Chins (BW-30)x16,13,10

The squats went much better today. The groove was right and depth was there. I feel better about moving up next time.

Volume press felt good as well.

First actual worksets on the power snatch today. 85 is light enough that I was practically standing at the catch, but I've decided to start where I know I can do things right and play the long game with these. I feel them in the shoulders more than anything else, which makes me wonder if I should program them on a bench day rather than immediately after overhead work. Something for me to overthink.

Band-assisted chins are still doing nicely. I think a part of it is simply being more efficient with the movement and not having to fight the tendency to swing at the bottom. I almost want to start doing weighted chins on band-assisted days. Since the band goes slack at the top, I get a lot of emphasis on the lockout which seems to be really helping on bodyweight days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    First actual worksets on the power snatch today. 85 is light enough that I was practically standing at the catch, but I've decided to start where I know I can do things right and play the long game with these. I feel them in the shoulders more than anything else, which makes me wonder if I should program them on a bench day rather than immediately after overhead work. Something for me to overthink.
    I was glad to read that you're going for the long game on the snatches, then about spit out my coffee reading your last sentence.

I just may identify.

Hi Hooper! Thanks for your reply on rest times. In all honesty, I was trying to emulate you in my first NLP, too - 10lbs leaps on the deadlift well into the 300's is impressive! But something I definitely could not replicate

Thanks for the ego boost! One year ago, I could have NEVER believed anybody would attempt to emulate my lifting. In all fairness, I had a few resets along the way - mostly from injuries - that made it more of a sawtoothed run-up through the 300s. I probably should have switched to 5 lb jumps somewhere, but I never knew where that point was and just kept at 10s. I think once I get the 405 for 5, I'll switch.

So far as rest times, I err on the side of extra. I'd rather rest a minute long than lose a set to fatigue buildup. It makes for a long stay at the gym, though.

Speaking of - one thing I do is rest about 3 minutes or so between my last deadlift warmup and the work set. E.g., do a 365x1 for my final warmup, load the bar to the final weight, rest 3, then attempt my 405. I need every bit of energy I can tank up for a heavy set of 5.

Speaking of - one thing I do is rest about 3 minutes or so between my last deadlift warmup and the work set. E.g., do a 365x1 for my final warmup, load the bar to the final weight, rest 3, then attempt my 405. I need every bit of energy I can tank up for a heavy set of 5.
    Nuts!

10lb jumps this whole time, and on only 3 minutes of rest?

I can't remember when I switched to 8 minutes between the last warmup rep and the deadlift workset...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Nuts!

10lb jumps this whole time, and on only 3 minutes of rest?

I can't remember when I switched to 8 minutes between the last warmup rep and the deadlift workset...
    I wish I could sit down with you guys over preferred beverages and discuss workout habits now. This discussion on rest times is getting really interesting. I do generally rest between deadlift warmup sets too, but maybe I could rest more in my final pause and see if it helps. I've always been worried about waiting too long since there aren't any sets across.

I still think I'll back the weight down a touch this Wednesday, re-collect my FAHVE, and run up one last time. From there it's definitely 5 lb jumps and full intermediate programming. I bought a new notebook already. The old one is 3.5"x5.5" Moleskine. I can comfortably fit 3 days of NLP on a page with it, but it's too small for intermediate and I'm already getting creative fitting a week on a page. The new one is 4.5"x7" and I'll have a lot more room for notes and training complexity. I'll probably head over to the dark side and start an intermediate log at that time.

I wish I could sit down with you guys over preferred beverages and discuss workout habits now. This discussion on rest times is getting really interesting. I do generally rest between deadlift warmup sets too, but maybe I could rest more in my final pause and see if it helps. I've always been worried about waiting too long since there aren't any sets across.

I still think I'll back the weight down a touch this Wednesday, re-collect my FAHVE, and run up one last time. From there it's definitely 5 lb jumps and full intermediate programming. I bought a new notebook already. The old one is 3.5"x5.5" Moleskine. I can comfortably fit 3 days of NLP on a page with it, but it's too small for intermediate and I'm already getting creative fitting a week on a page. The new one is 4.5"x7" and I'll have a lot more room for notes and training complexity. I'll probably head over to the dark side and start an intermediate log at that time.
    Shit, I'll join you guys for some cognac and discussion of rest periods. I do my deadlift warmups with no rest, and then I rest five to seven minutes before the big set. That helps me catch my breath, slow down, and get in the right head space to focus on pulling heavy. On days when I'm deadlifting first, I do my squat warmup before my deadlift warmup.

I use the 3.5x5.5 Moleskine too! The black one with graph paper pages. I wish it were bigger, but I'm committed.

Cognac? I see that you, too, are a man of distinction.

Sounds like I should try bumping the deadlift rest time a bit and see what happens. I never considered the possibility I might not be rested enough.

Yep, black cover with graph paper. The new one is blue but still with graph paper. It'll be great for four-day weeks with additional notes.

Default NLP Week 44

starting strength coach development program
    20 October 2021
    Weight - 213
    Light Squat - 265x5x2/4
    Volume Bench - 167.5x5x5/5
    Deadlift - 385x5/5

I wasn't surprised at the uptick in weight today. Yesterday, I had already pretty well eaten my quota when we decided to head out for Vietnamese food. It's a well-known law that I absolutely must get - and finish - the large bowl of pho. I'm still feeling a bit bloated from it all. :-)

I'll post rest times for a little while. For lack of a standard notation I'm just using the forward slash (/) to designate it. Light squat had a 4 minute rest between the worksets, for example. The deadlift rest is the one before the workset.

Bench again went fine. I lowered the hooks a notch to avoid the unracking difficulties I've been having on intensity days and it felt comfortable enough. I lost track of sets so I might have done 6 sets instead of 5, but I'm pretty sure it was just 5. Normally, I use the lap counter on my phone's timer for 5-set exercises to avoid losing count. The number of completed laps equals the number of completed sets. I forgot to do that this time because I'm not used to doing it for the bench. Lesson learned.

I'm glad now that I backed the deadlift down. I needed to get a good set of five in, and the weight was good for it. Still tough and slowing down at the end, but a confidence-building set nonetheless. This will be my last run-up using 10 lb jumps. If I get to 405 I'll drop to 5s then. If not, I'll drop to 5s and move on.

Deadlift shoes are now on order. During warmups, I played with barefoot deads again and the setup feels much more secure with my heels on the ground. It reduces the temptation to drop my hips down as I set my back. To paraphrase Brody: I'm going to need a bigger bag.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 10-20-2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Fix light squat weight.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast