Default NLP Week 47

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    13 November 2021
    Bench - 192.5x3x5|5
    Chin - 9,8,7|6
    Elliptical - 120-130 BPM for 30 minutes

The gym was frigid this morning. They've just expanded, and the barbell spaces are not yet heated or insulated. They have space heaters in there, but Saturday morning workouts are going to be interesting for a few weeks.

The bench was slow but solid. I'd blame the temperature for the sluggishness, but whatever. Onward.

Chins were also slow - partly to control swinging. I don't know why I've started struggling with that, but here we are.

I finished with elliptical to encourage bloodflow and recovery. It's boring, but it seems to work well for me when I have the time for it.

Default NLP Week 48

15 November 2021
    Weight - 214
    Volume Squat - 335x5x5|5
    Strict Press - 127.5x5x5|5
    Power Snatch - 95x3x5|4
    Banded Chin - (BW-30+10)x12,11,10

Weight is creeping a bit. Not sure how much is lean and how much is fat.

Added 10 lb to the volume squat because Friday went so well. I'm still not quite sure where the balance is since Friday isn't true TM, but I don't think I'm far off.

Strict press went really well again. So glad to be unstuck.

Power snatch is still relatively light, but I'm getting better at the movement in general. I'm tempted to sneak a 5 lb jump in next week. We'll see.

I'm sure it looks goofy to be using a band and a dip belt on chins, but it's definitely working the upper end of the motion. Really hoping to get that set of 10 soon.

Default NLP Week 48

17 November 2021
    Weight - 214
    Light Squat - 275x5x2|2
    Volume Bench - 177.5x5x5|5
    Deadlift - 420x1

Work schedule changes forced me to move my workout to immediately after lunch. That did not end well.

I hurried the squats a bit to make sure I could get the good bench while it was open, hence the 2-minute rest. The volume bench went fine. When I did deadlifts, though, things were sluggish and it was clear I was still digesting. I pulled the first workset rep, but I could feel lunch starting to move in the wrong direction so I stopped before things could go seriously wrong.

I don't have the option of working out Thursday, so I couldn't have simply waited a day. I took my shot and missed. Disappointing, but it is what it is. I'll get it next time.

Default NLP Week 48

19 November 2021
    Weight - 212
    Squat - 400x5, 365x5x2|7
    Press - 140x3x5|5
    Clean - 135x3x5|4

The squats were grindy today. That 4th plate is now one week away. That's also going to be my one-year mark and the last full week of this log, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Press was grindy, too. Maybe it was just the theme of the day. Every 3rd rep wanted to really slow down at the midpoint so I had to keep really sharp focus on form.

Cleans are still going much better. For me, the big thing is to keep my jump vertical and tight, almost like how the press has to be kept in tight. I did have one rep that I felt the old back extension thing creep in, and one where I didn't get under properly. I'm still de-training the old gremlins, but much better off than before.

Great work, Hooper. I look forward to your squatting 4 plates next week!

Not gonna lie: if the only thing I succeed at next week is 405x5x1, I'll call it a success. I really, really want to go from 105 to 405 in one year. This is the last week I can do it.

That's the spirit!

That is an incredible NLP run. Even though you can probably look back and realize that the 105 was probably too light of a starting point. But no matter. That number doesn't matter. The 405 does.

Get it!

It was probably too light, but not by a whole lot. On the first day, I deadlifted 199 lb on accident, thinking the plates were in lb, not in kg (i.e., 45 lb bar + 70 kg plates). It took all I had and gave me DOMS for about 4 days. When I got back, I started deadlifts at 155 lb. The squat probably could have started around 135, but I was keen on not overdoing it at the start.

105 was where the squat started to feel 'heavy' on that day, not having an understanding of what 'heavy' really feels like.

I really was a very weak guy a year ago.

Default NLP Week 49

20 November 2021
    Bench - 195x3x5|5
    Chins - BWx9,9,7|6
    Elliptical - 25 min at 120-130 BPM

The barbell rooms are still freaking cold on Saturday morning. Can't wait until they finish the reno and get insulation and heat in there.

The bench was legitimately grindy today, with the last reps on the 4th and 5th sets getting into force-of-will territory. I actually missed the rack on the last set: the bench has extra wide hooks (a 'competition' bench that evidently lets the bench-only guys use maximum width) which means there's very little room between the collars and the hooks. I tend to drift the bar to the left a bit when I rack, and this time I clanged the collar against the hook and ended up having to lower the right side to the safety rail. I got the set, but perhaps it's time for my first adjustment to intensity day - lowering the weight a touch on the first two set and ramping into a 3x3.

Still not quite enough gas on chins for a 10-rep set. I'll give it one more go next week to round out the year. If it's still 9, I'll just move to weighted chins.

One more week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    It was probably too light, but not by a whole lot. On the first day, I deadlifted 199 lb on accident, thinking the plates were in lb, not in kg (i.e., 45 lb bar + 70 kg plates). It took all I had and gave me DOMS for about 4 days. When I got back, I started deadlifts at 155 lb. The squat probably could have started around 135, but I was keen on not overdoing it at the start.

105 was where the squat started to feel 'heavy' on that day, not having an understanding of what 'heavy' really feels like.
    I just went back and looked at my "season openers" for 2017 and 2018 (without maintenance seasons between) and they were right there with you (95lb Squat; 115lb Deadlift) and for the same reason, not wanting to overdo it. That's even after my pre-log days, right after I ran across Rip's article in T-Nation, when I started everything with an empty bar and slowly added weight.

I think the gist of my comment last night was more along the lines of now, if we had to coach someone from scratch, recognizing that it was probably too light (maybe not by much) and that we're probably a bit stronger than however weak we felt at that time.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 11-20-2021 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added parenthetical portion

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast