starting strength gym
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Less weak than last week

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Oh, agreed. My perception of hard was very different back then. I was much more brain-limited.

Congratulations on an impressive NLP, Hooper! You've had an incredible run and I've really enjoyed keeping up with your progress over the past 6 months. Your log is probably the one I consulted with the most as I was beginning my own run, so thank you for providing the data and feedback, warts and all.

Default NLP Week 49

22 November 2021
    Weight - 211
    Squat - 335x5x5|5
    Strict Press - 130x5x5|5
    Snatch - 97.5x3x5|4, 105x1
    Chin - (BW+10)x7,6,6

One of the gym bros kindly let me know I was high on one squat. (I've asked him to do that before.) I was trying to be more explosive at the bottom and probably just went too fast. Otherwise, squats were fine.

25 strict presses. Remember when I had to run out singles to get 15 reps at 130? Pepperidge Farm remembers. The last one was really tough, but otherwise it was a surprisingly solid lift today.

I'm still catching the snatches in basically a full lockout, so I did one at the end with a few more pounds. I can probably go ahead and ramp up the weight a bit faster. I'm more consistent with snatches than cleans, honestly.

Lastly, I decided to ditch the band and just do weighted chins. There were a couple more available if I had been moving at a more consistent pace, so I'll probably add 5 lb next time.

Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    Congratulations on an impressive NLP, Hooper! You've had an incredible run and I've really enjoyed keeping up with your progress over the past 6 months. Your log is probably the one I consulted with the most as I was beginning my own run, so thank you for providing the data and feedback, warts and all.
    Glad it was useful! I was mostly writing to get things out of my head and more organized, but I'm thrilled it's been a help. The warts just gave the NLP run some character, rather than being this boring old ascent to intermediate. ;-)

Default NLP Week 49

24 November 2021
    Weight - 211
    Bench - 180x5x5|5
    Elliptical - 120-130 BPM for 20-30 minutes

It just wouldn't be the end of my run without one more curveball. I've been dealing with joint soreness and inflammation the last few weeks, managing it with ibuprofen, rest, low impact ROM activity, etc. Yesterday, I got the covid booster shot. While I knew I'd have side effects, I didn't expect it to compound my joint inflammation as badly as it did. I haven't had pain like this in a long time.

I could tolerate the bench press so I did that. The squat and deadlift were right out. My hip had too much pain to tolerate the movements so I didn't push it. After the bench, I used the elliptical for a while for blood flow and healing.

Perhaps the rest will help with intensity squats, assuming I'm over the side effects in two days.

It wouldn't be life if there weren't a few curveballs thrown in from time to time.

Haha nope. It's okay, though. December has so much travel coming up I'm going to be on the Bill Anders intermediate intermittent program for a bit anyhow. I'll figure out my best path for keeping as strong as possible while enjoying the rest. :-)

Haha, you mean the "NLP/HLM/Modified TM training salad that hopefully helps you keep from losing too much strength" program? It's pretty effective for that.

Yes, enjoy that rest when it comes. Our bodies do better in the long run with a bit of that, something that did not exist in my mindset until about 10 years ago.

Default NLP Week 49

26 November 2021
    Weight - 214
    Squat - 405x5, 315x5x2|7
    Press - 142.5x3x3,2x2, 135x3|5
    Clean - 137.5x3x5|4

Got the 4th plate. On the second rep, I went down too far, felt the hamstrings lighten up, and had to really fight it back up. For the remainder, I took extra breaths at the top and traded rhythm for time. By the time the set was done I was just exhausted, so I lowered the back-off sets to 315 and went with more of a 'dynamic effort' approach.

I probably should have switched to ramped worksets this week. the doubles were a problem with form and getting the bar too far forward, but that's often a sign of fatigue for me. I did do one back-off at 135 and it went well, so I'll move up using a ramped weight scheme. After 145, I may also reduce jumps to 2 lb (really, 3 jumps for a net 5 lb in a 2, 2, 1 fashion).

Cleans went mostly alright. I was still tired from the squat and had a couple drops from sluggish jumps. I also felt the arm pull wanting to return, but reminding myself to stay over the bar seemed to help with that.

starting strength coach development program
    Excellent! Congratulations on that 4-plate workset, Hooper!

re: cleans - staying over the bar. What a difference that makes, eh? I kept reminding myself of that the other day on each of the cleans and the bar path was much more reasonably in the groove each time.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast