starting strength gym
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I haven't read his book but that has got to be David Goggins. Ya know, I guess I'm weird but guys like him and Jocko Willink don't do a thing for me. That whole "Hoo-rah, give a million percent all the time, I'll sleep when I'm dead, you gotta make yourself miserable to make yourself tough" style of motivation is not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, they're some bad ass dudes and good for their success, I'm just not into it personally.
    That's it (I had the name Bloggins in mind). Never heard of that particular guy but I once came across a Jocko interview that I did enjoy (with Jordan Peterson, I think). I'm with you though... This "manosphere" stuff often comes across as quite phony, not to mention the cringy and the pathetic stuff. On that note, I have found the Jack Murphy meltdown very entertaining. You gotta watch Blaire White's take on it if you haven't already. Absolutely hilarious!

Intensity squat - 3 X 3 at 207.5 lbs (PR)

The depth was just right and my knees behaved quite well. Today's last set looks a lot better than last week's. My new clue is really working! I need to find this guy and buy him a drink.

If everything goes well, I will be able to squat my husband for reps pretty soon!

Volume press - 5 X 5 at 78 lbs

I added an extra lb to get to that 90% and this felt about right for a volume day. Still working on that press 2.0; I had a good set when I tried taking my breath at the top, but I am not sure how sustainable this practice would be. I'll have to look into it. Otherwise I find I spend too much time at the bottom; this is not a huge deal with a sub-maximal load, but on intensity day, I need to get through my reps more quickly.

Well, not quite sure how I feel about today's session.

It was probably not the best day to train. Working from home does not agree with me. I get all stiff from the lack of moving around. I am even considering doing some "cardio" to offset this.

Volume bench - 5 X 5 at 113 lbs

I adjusted the weight to 90% of my next intensity session and think this was the right call. This was doable but very challenging, while my previous volume bench sessions felt too easy. We shall see whether this will have a positive impact on intensity day.

Deadlift - 2 sets of 3 at 235 lbs (PR?)

I put the question mark in there because those sets look so awful that I wonder whether this counts as an actual PR. You tell me. On set 1, my grip failed on reps 2 and 3 (which was very distracting). I used the figure-8 straps for set 2. It helped with the grip but not much with the form. Setup took forever (original video is over 2 minutes long).

If I may ask again, shouldn't I consider a reset to work through my form issues? For reference, my last warm-up set at 205 lbs looks decent (I think). I sure wish my work sets looked like that.

On the bright side, I'll give myself credit for lifting the damn thing anyway and for doing that second set after seeing what set 1 looked liked. It takes some determination to keep pulling on this thing while I can already tell that my form has gone to shit as I am doing the lift.

Looks like a nice PR to me.

Congrats on your PR. I noticed you didn't use belt during the last warmup set. I recall Mark saying not to change anything between the last warmup and worksets. For me setup without the belt is easier so I think practicing it before the heavy set helps. Once again, well done!

Thanks, gentlemen. I can sure feel those reps in my back muscles today! I guess I'll keep pushing the weight up.

Good call about the belt, I didn't think about that. I'm not a fan of wearing it though I know that it's a must. I think I'll also wear the straps on every set for a while to get used to it and hopefully expedite my setup.

Hello! It looks like on a few of your work set reps that the bar is travelling forward of your shins. This has been a common issue for me as well. The blue book mentions step 4.5 of the deadlift, "before you start the pull, get your weight back off of your toes." Keeping this in mind, and gently rocking back off of my toes has helped significantly in keeping the bar in contact with my shins during the pull.

Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    Hello! It looks like on a few of your work set reps that the bar is travelling forward of your shins. This has been a common issue for me as well. The blue book mentions step 4.5 of the deadlift, "before you start the pull, get your weight back off of your toes." Keeping this in mind, and gently rocking back off of my toes has helped significantly in keeping the bar in contact with my shins during the pull.
    Thanks a lot for this Ryan, this is very helpful! I looked it up and this is definitely worth a try. Do you wear heeled lifters or flatter shoes? I recently switched back to heeled lifters but perhaps I should wear my flatter lifting shoes again.

I think that getting better with straps and faster with my setup should help too. My nerves have also been getting in my way since missing reps on December 28. I am so afraid to fail again that I get all worked up during the setup. Ridiculous, I know, but my confidence has taken a big hit. To be fair though, I probably don't have a whole lot of runway left on the deadlift, so things will only keep getting harder. I should just come to terms with that and embrace the new normal, as they say. While I am quite confident I can get to a sticker club squat (225) this year, I doubt a 315 deadlift is in the cards unless I get much heavier. And I don't see this happening. Going from 112 to 122 lbs has been quite the challenge despite being an unapologetic carbophile and starchivore!

Yes, I wear lifters that have an effective heel height of 15.5mm, so not too high. When I was trying to diagnose my own issue with the bar drifting away from my shins, I did consider using flat shoes or even no shoes at all. Then I came across step 4.5 of the deadlift and it has worked for me, lifters and all.

I think everyone fears failure, it's just a part of doing something really, really hard. Just remember there are modifications that can be made, such as running out your deadlift and cycling back again, or rotating the rep ranges. Things to keep it fun and interesting, and most importantly, continuing to make progress on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Congrats on your PR. I noticed you didn't use belt during the last warmup set. I recall Mark saying not to change anything between the last warmup and worksets. For me setup without the belt is easier so I think practicing it before the heavy set helps. Once again, well done!
    I concur with Adam. Rip's advice aside, during my last in-person coaching session the SSC explained "that last warmup is your dress rehearsal for your work set." That simple sentence changed my warmups, especially when heading into a PR.

Great work, tiny!

starting strength coach development program
    I should have listened to the little voice in my head that kept telling me I needed another day off before my next training session. Back was still sore from Tuesday's deadlift session. I know that soreness is not a huge deal in itself, but since it very rarely happens to me, it might actually mean something (like "extra day off needed").

But once again, I didn't listen. I also confess that I was excited about trying my brand new SS belt. It finally came in the mail today, after being held hostage by customs for nearly two weeks.

Intensity press - 5 sets of 3 at 87 lbs (PR)

Trying a new belt on such a sensitive movement was probably quite a dumb idea to begin with. Set 1 was just a series of misgrooved presses, and as I kept trying to fix it on the subsequent sets, things only got worse. I'm disappointed that I didn't get any sets of 4 or 5 in there, but this is still a PR. As far as I can tell, either one of two things happened here.

1) I just had a bad day, shit happens. I needed another day off but didn't take it, back was under-recovered and I can tell that it didn't like the press at all today. Introducing the new belt was dumb as well. Juggling between press 1.0 and 2.0 isn't helping either.

2) History is repeating itself. Last spring, I could hit set of 5 at 74 lbs, but by the time I got to 78 lbs, I could only do a mix of doubles and triples. I might be headed that way again, which is bound to happen sooner or later, but hopefully later.

For now I am going to assume I am dealing with the first situation. I'll go up 1 lb next time, try to do better and see what happens.

Volume squat - 5 X 5 at 187.5 lbs

Let's just say that I was quite apprehensive of this volume squat session with a planned increase of 2.5 lbs. After my disappointing go at the press, the little voice started with "should I even squat today?"

I ignored it and started the warm-up sets to get a better feel of the situation. At 105 lbs, my back was mildly protesting. I did the next two warm-up sets and it didn't get worse.

So I did set 1, with the little voice saying "there's no way I can do 5 reps". But I did.

I kept going with set 2 and 3, hearing "there's no way I can do 5 sets, maybe I'll just stop at 3". But then I did set 4 and set 5.

It was hard. I felt my squats "lacked conviction" throughout, if that even makes sense (it does in French). But after watching my videos (back and front), they all look just fine.

I should have taken today off, but I'm glad I pushed through those squats despite the fact that I didn't feel up for it physically and mentally. At least I was consistent in ignoring the little voice!

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast