starting strength gym
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    I hate school work in teams and since this is all online, finding a partner is hit or miss. I totally missed this time around. Normally I just do the assignment right away, seek my teammates' concurrence and we basically end up submitting my work, all get A+ and everybody is happy. Effective and efficient.
    Totally agree with you. Since an individual grade is assigned, what choice do you have other than to do the work yourself for the grade you want--it doesn't reflect well on the thought processes of professors who assign group work.

Ah yes, the sign of a lazy and/or barely competent professor—group projects. Especially online. Good luck getting through that.

It's great to see that you kept pushing through, even if you weren't posting here. And congrats on getting through that 90lb Press barrier!

Thanks for sharing my hatred for group projects. I do not understand why some students like them and, as a former teacher myself, I was never lazy enough to rely on them.

I couldn't train this weekend due to my friend's visit.

Yesterday was a no-go as well. I had some GI issues with a very mild fever, but I happen to be extremely sensitive to fever. I got lots of sleep instead. Once I felt better in the evening, I started craving sugar and ate two (!) toasts with a thick layer (!!) of Grenache caramel spread (!!!). That is beyond weird...

Then I figured that I probably didn't eat enough carbs during my friend's visit. Doesn't sound like me, I know! But over the weekend, my husband cooked meals that were so heavy on meat (beef, bison, deer, elk, boar) that I never got to eating the sides he had prepared as well. After kindly reminding him that I am an unapologetic carbophile and starchivore, I am getting pasta tonight. Keeping up the gainzzzz!

Intensity squat - 2 sets of 3 at 210 lbs Felt horrible (last rep was a leap of faith), but looks alright to me.

Volume press - 5 X 5 at 81 lbs Given my struggles during the last two volume press sessions, I am quite pleased with today's workout. Very hard, but mission accomplished!

Chin ups - 6, 5, 5 Trying to increase frequency on this, just to see if it helps. Too soon to tell, more to follow.

I had a pretty good workout yesterday.

Volume bench - 5 X 5 at 117 lbs

Though the bench is my least favorite movement, being able to handle that kind of weight for 5 X 5 makes it less boring. I think I am getting that leg drive thingy... This comes much more easily by setting my feet wider apart.

Deadlift - 2 X 3 at 215 lbs

Obviously this is not as exciting as getting PRs, but seeing improvements in my form is much welcome. As far as I can tell, my bar path is straight on all reps, and though the back angle is not *perfect* on every rep, I think it's close enough to keep going up. The two main things I need to focus on are the "chest-up cue" and the "fold-bar-around-legs cue".

Here's is set 1 and set 2 and, for the sake of comparison, this is what my 220 lbs deadlift looked like in early December (that's when I started recording all my deadlift sets).

So I think it is safe to increase the weight by another 5 lbs next week and see how my form reacts.

Today was quite an interesting day. This is much welcome because what is happening across the river is both depressing and terrifying. In these trying times, would it make sense to say I am grateful I am training? Though I have never been good at being "zen", I find myself "counting my blessings" these days. But enough with that touchy-feely stuff.

Intensity press - 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 at 91 lbs (PR)

Very pleased with today's pressing session. Unlike last time, I was able to a one triple in (here's proof), and to complete my 15 reps in 2 fewer sets. Last week, I had to keep going for 9 sets in which I got 6 doubles and 3 singles. So I am very happy with that triple and for getting 6 doubles straight afterward. Of note, BZ to me for attempting that 3rd rep on every set.

Volume squat - 4, 4, 4, 3 at 197.5 lbs

Interesting occurrence here. I increased the weight by 2.5 lbs and the plan was to complete 3 sets of 5 today (and increase to 4 sets next week, and then to 5 a week later). Obviously that didn't happen, so I decided to stick with what volume I had planned (15 reps).

Thankfully again, my squats don't look half as bad as they "felt". From the front, I was expecting my knees to looks like candles in the wind during reps 3 and 4. However, though I've had better days in terms of "knee control", it's totally decent. Moreover, none of my reps "felt" deep enough, but most look lower than usual, and a bit low in comparison of the pictures in the Blue Book. Last set here.

Cardio got in the way too. I was unusually out of breath towards the end of each set, and a bit light headed.

Hypotheses:

1. Increased weight comes with increased difficulty. This is a normal reaction to the stimulus applied.

2. I did not eat enough today. I got up at 0900 and breakfast/lunch was 2 soft-boiled eggs, 1 pack of oatmeal, and a small glass of orange juice. Not enough food to fuel this training sessions which started at 1540.

3. With my press slowing down, training sessions at getting longer (85 minutes today, instead of 60-75). In light of point 2, that probably didn't help.

4. Here's the interesting point. Normally, each of my 4 training sessions has its specific outfit so that comparing videos is easier. I thought I was being a bit anal retentive about this, but today's squats suggest otherwise. My outfit for this particular session was still in the laundry, so I wore something else. Shorts, specifically, which I rarely wear. I think this might have contributed to my awkwardness and somewhat excessive depth on the squat. I could not feel my clothing stretching along the movement pattern as I normally do. From now on, I'll stick with my "designated outfit" habit, even if that makes me sound like a weirdo.

Chin ups - 7, 6, 5

Boring!

You'll get that "touchy-feely stuff" more in the coming decades as you keep up these shenanigans.

No doubt that you are already looking around and seeing family, friends, and just the general public in your age cohort who have resigned themselves to a slow circling of the drain because "I'm 40" (or 50 or whatever excuse they choose to use). You won't be able to convince them otherwise with your words, but perhaps your actions will reach one or two of the masses. That in itself can be quite frustrating if you focus on it. Instead, choose gratitude. You'll see plenty of examples in their 60's & 70's here.

I don't think I've ever been this excited to write about my bench.

You know, I'm a creature of habit. After I train, I take a hot bath. It feels goods and helps my arthritic fingers recover from the session. Then I get dressed, which includes picking a fragrance. I'm a fragrance enthusiast, and some fragrances are best worn after a good training session. Lalique Le Parfum is one of them. It has this beautiful tobacco vibe that makes it something ballsy to wear. No way the little lady Granny was taking about could wear that. But Granny would totally rock it.

So today is definitely a Lalique day.

Then I typically come here, write about my workout and sip on a gin tonic while my husband cooks dinner. When I was out shopping today, I came across this gin which comes from where my husband was born (Côte-Nord, QC). Just like my husband, that gin is a keeper. They make good stuff up there.

Intensity bench - 5 sets of 3 at 130 lbs (PR)

Just to recap, it's been a while since I have been able to get 5 triples in a row. Last time was on 14 Jan at 126 lbs. Then it looked like this:
    127 lbs - 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3
    128 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2
    129 lbs - 3, 3, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1

Had I trusted today's warm up, I would not have attempted that 130 lbs work set. Even my second warm-up set at 75 lbs felt oddly heavy.

And yet here we are. 5 triples in a row; very hard but not much grind. Here's set 5. I think I am getting finally getting that leg drive thing. And as far as I can tell, it looks like a 135-lb is officially in the cards for me.

Accessory row - 3 sets of 5 at 85 lbs

Still not sure I will keep these, but here a fun fact: back when I used to do SL 5 X 5, an 85-lb row was my PR. Today, this was easy. Adding another 5 lbs next time. But I had a funny feeling in my right shoulder while doing these today; if it happens again next week, I am ditching rows right away. I think they do help with "back angle mindfulness", which is the point of this. But if my shoulders don't agree, this is not worth it. I should be able to start cleaning again in April anyway.

Chin ups - 7, 6, 5

Woo!!! Congrats! You are on fire, excellent work here! Leg drive, the cue “chest up,” and the tighter everything is in general, help a LOT.

I don’t do many scents bc, as with bras, they cause migraines- but I’ll have to look into that one!

Not quite a Lalique day, but close. A Guerlain Samsara day is till a good day.

Intensity squat - 3 sets of 2 at 212.5 lbs (PR)

First attempt at this new weight. To be honest, I did not even attempt a third rep. I really doubt I would have completed it, and I was feeling a bit lazy. My husband was out and I didn't want to risk having to de-load the bar, rack it back and re-load it. Pretty silly given that I don't have anything better to do while I rest. Anyhow, the plan was to complete 2 or 3 doubles, and that's what I did. Next time I will attempt triples. This stretches my squat's progression while I am rebuilding my deadlift.

Form was not great today. Grip was a bit wider than usual because of a lack of wrist flexibility caused by my ganglion cyst (we've been an item for over a decade). Unfortunately, it is not big enough to smash it yet. I found this video we made last summer to demonstrate the procedure.

I was not very good at keeping my head down during set 2, and experienced quite a bit of knee flare on the last set. Depth-wise, I think they look a bit high, but maybe that's just because I have been going lower lately.

Volume press - 5 X 5 at 82 lbs

I had pretty low expectations about this one, due to the pain in my wrist, and because of the struggles I experienced during my two previous volume press sessions. To my pleasant surprise, this went oddly well. Only the very last rep was somewhat grindy. Bar path was unusually straight and consistent across all sets. I guess I had a "good groove" day!

Chin ups - 6

After seeing that I could not get to 7, I decided to end to workout there. Increased frequency is one thing, but 3 times per week might be a bit much.

starting strength coach development program
    I was a bit on the fence about training today. I was supposed to train, but I was not feeling very well. But with what's happening to Ukraine, I needed a small win to end this nasty week. The world has been such a cesspool lately; my gym is my haven.

Volume bench - 5 X 5 at 118 lbs

This went surprising well given the pain in my wrist (my stupid cyst is still pushing on something); I was concerned that I would have to cut this session short. It was uncomfortable but very bearable. I think my set up and form are quite good now; Granny was right about the "leg drive" and "chest up" cues. I just need to be more mindful of my grip width. I think it was a finger too narrow today, which my left elbow found mildly irritating (it's always been whiny, so I told it to file a hurt feelings report).

Deadlift - 2 sets of 3 at 220 lbs

I didn't properly push the record button before my first set, so I cannot tell how it looked. Not impressed with myself because that "felt" like a very good set. "Chest up" cue seems to be helping a lot.

Set 2 was definitely harder, but it went up with relative ease too. My shoulders were not forward enough on rep 1, but that's not a huge deal since this hardly ever happens, and I fixed it on the following reps. Bar path is über straight, back angle looks good enough to me. I'm getting so much better at keeping the bar on my legs; that must be what's driving the other improvements. Going up another 5 lbs next time. If I manage to keep this up, I should be back in PR territory in a month or so. Fingers crossed!

Of note, I need to be careful about how I grip the bar. With the new (bigger) bar and the straps, I tend to fold the (otherwise normal) callus in my hands.

Will be back on Sunday, hopefully for a big day! My press should reach the 0.75 X BW, which is the press standard to join Rip's army. Hopefully the cyst won't get in the way of this training milestone.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast