starting strength gym
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    It looks like my new program is intended to increase my back strength. It's always been a weak spot of mine, so that totally makes sense.
    With just under 2x bodweight squat & deadlift, I suspect that your back isn't as weak a spot as you might think. But the change-up of programming sure does look fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    With just under 2x bodyweight squat & deadlift, I suspect that your back isn't as weak a spot as you might think. But the change-up of programming sure does look fun!
    I did my first workout yesterday, and "fun" is definitely not the word I would use... yet! But as promised, this will be very entertaining.

Basically the first weeks of the program are wave-based, and part of the intent is to assess where I'm at (apparently this can be tricky with trainees who have only been doing multiple sets across).

This week, I do the main lift of each workout for 1 set of 8 reps, followed by 2 back-off sets. Next week it's going down to sets of 6, and then to sets of 4. As the coach gets the results he will adjust the work sets accordingly. I already mentioned that he's being very optimistic, especially for the upper-body lifts. He thinks I can bench 130 and press 90 for a set of 8... I'll try and sure hope he's right, but I am extremely skeptical.

Anyhow, yesterday was squat day.

Squat
    195 X 8
    175 X 8, 8

I was not very confident that I could do a set of 8 at 195 lbs since I have only been doing sets of 5 at that weight (and this is a very recent achievement).

Not to mention that I had not done a set of 8 reps of anything in like... 12 years? Before SS, I had been doing SL 5 X 5 on and off since 2010 (with limited success).

So it was a bit like when I started doing 5s again in December, after months of doing nothing but 3s. There's definitely a conditioning aspect to this.

I swear that after the 7th rep at 195, I was certain I couldn't do another one. But I didn't want my coach to think I'm a pussy so I attempted the 8th rep anyway. If I puss out it's going to affect the reliability of his assessment and I'm going to get a pussy's program.

That 8th rep is scary to watch but it came back up. Here's the entire set.

The back-off sets were hard too, but mostly due to my lack of conditioning for that type of work. It should sort itself out just like it did when I reintroduced sets of 5 in December.

Front squat
    115 X 5
    120 X 5
    125 X 5

After I shared my experiment with the coach, he suggested starting at 100 lbs rather than 140. I replied that, when I tried 115 lbs, a set of 5 seemed possible, and that I could start from there and adjust up or down based on that first set.

So that's what I did. Unfortunately, I was able to complete the first set. No choice but to add another 5 lbs, right? When I completed that second set, I thought: sucks to be me! Now I have to do this again with 125! Noooo! Fuck my life!

Look, I'm not saying that any of those sets were pretty. But apparently the standard for a successful front squat if pretty low. If the bar stays on throughout the full ROM, it's good enough.

My front rack is definitely the weak point here, but given enough time and effort, it should improve. It took me months to narrow my grip on my low-bar squat, and to perform the movement to a decent standard. So I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do the same with the front squat. It won't happen overnight, but few things worth achieving ever do.

Now, the entertaining bit.

Lots has been said about the "press face". Well, I'd argue that my "front squat face" is quite something too. Kind of half-way between a press face and Jenna Marbles' leave-me-alone face.

Here's my gift to you: a montage of the last rep of each set.

DE Deadlift
    180 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Finally, some deadlift fun! It's been a while since I've been feeling that low deadlift frequency affords me too little opportunity for improving my form deficiencies. This felt very good, and it helped try some of the cues the coach gave me. He had mentioned that I was hyper-extending during my setup (yesterday, Rip posted an article that mentions this issue). I also played around with my stance a bit (width and feet orientation). Each set was better than the last. And it was fun.

After my training session, the coach came here to talk about the program and to give my husband his Deadlift 101 lesson. A miracle happened: my husband did a deadlift that looked like a deadlift (rather than something halfway between a good morning and a kettlebell swing).

The aftermath of the first session of my not-fun-yet program:
    - After the coach left, we had a late dinner. I ate 3 slices of a large pizza. Normally I cannot even eat 2 full slices.
    - Obviously I am sore all over the place, but it's not half as bad as I was expecting.
    - I slept for 10 hours.

Tomorrow is bench day. We shall see whether I can indeed bench 130 for a set of 8.
    Last edited by tiny&mighty; 04-01-2022 at 11:47 AM.

I did my first workout yesterday, and "fun" is definitely not the word I would use... yet! But as promised, this will be very entertaining.

Basically the first weeks of the program are wave-based, and part of the intent is to assess where I'm at (apparently this can be tricky with trainees who have only been doing multiple sets across).

This week, I do the main lift of each workout for 1 set of 8 reps, followed by 2 back-off sets. Next week it's going down to sets of 6, and then to sets of 4. As the coach gets the results he will adjust the work sets accordingly. I already mentioned that he's being very optimistic, especially for the upper-body lifts. He thinks I can bench 130 and press 90 for a set of 8... I'll try and sure hope he's right, but I am extremely skeptical.

Anyhow, yesterday was squat day.

Squat
    195 X 8
    175 X 8, 8

I was not very confident that I could do a set of 8 at 95 lbs since I have only been doing sets of 5 at that weight (and this is a very recent achievement).

Not to mention that I had not done a set of 8 reps of anything for like... 12 years? Before SS, I had been doing SL 5 X 5 on and off since 2010 (with limited success).

So it was a bit like when I started doing 5s again in December, after months of doing nothing but 3s. There's definitely a conditioning aspect to this.

I swear that after the 7th rep at 195, I was certain I couldn't do another one. But I didn't want my coach to think I'm a pussy so I attempted the 8th rep anyway. If I puss out it's going to affect the reliability of his assessment and I'm going to get a pussy's program.

That 8th rep is scary to watch but it came back up. Here's the entire set.

The back-off sets were hard too, but mostly due to my lack of conditioning for that type of work. It should sort itself out just like it did when I reintroduced sets of 5 in December.

Front squat
    115 X 5
    120 X 5
    125 X 5

After I shared my experiment with the coach, he suggested starting at 100 lbs rather than 140. I replied that, when I tried 115 lbs, a set of 5 seemed possible, and that I could start from there and adjust up or down based on that first set.

So that's what I did. Unfortunately, I was able to complete the first set. No choice but to add another 5 lbs, right? When I completed that second set, I thought: sucks to be me! Now I have to do this again with 125! Noooo! Fuck my life!

Look, I'm not saying that any of those sets were pretty. But apparently the standard for a successful front squat if pretty low. If the bar stays on throughout the full ROM, it's good enough.

My front rack is definitely the weak point here, but given enough time and effort, it should improve. It took me months to narrow my grip on my low-bar squat, and to perform the movement to a decent standard. So I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do the same with the front squat. It won't happen overnight, but few things worth achieving ever do.

Now, the entertaining bit.

Lots has been said about the "press face". Well, I'd argue that my "front squat face" is quite something too. Kind of half-way between a press face and Jenna Marbles' leave-me-alone face.

Here's my gift to you: a montage of the last reps of each set.

DE Deadlift
    180 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Finally, some deadlift fun! It's been a while since I've been feeling that low deadlift frequency affords me to little opportunity for improving my form deficiencies. This felt very good, and it helped try some of the cues the coach gave me. He had mentioned that I was hyper-extending during my setup (yesterday, Rip posted an article that mentions this issue). I also played around with my stance a bit (width and feet orientation). Each set was better than the last. And it was fun.

After my training session, the coach came here to talk about the program and to give my husband his Deadlift 101 lesson. A miracle happened: my husband did a deadlift that looked like a deadlift (rather than something halfway between a good morning and a kettlebell swing).

The aftermath of the first session of my not-fun-yet program:
    - After the coach left, we had a late dinner. I ate 3 slices of a large pizza. Normally I cannot even eat 2 full slices.
    - Obviously I am sore all over the place, but it's not half as bad as I was expecting.
    - I slept for 10 hours.

Tomorrow is bench say. We shall say whether I can indeed bench 130 for a set of 8.
    *clap* *clap* *clap*
    FWIW I think you can do 130 for 8.

Today was the bench day of my new program.

Bench press
    130 X 7
    115 X 8, 8

As much as I was hoping to prove Granny and my coach right, I didn't get that 8th rep. That said, I did try and gave it a fair shot.

Not the end of the world. I completed the next 2 sets, and found those harder than expected.

I experienced something new today: that "pump" thing that is so sought after by a certain crowd. As it turns out, I'm not a fan at all. By the end of third set, bending my arms at the elbow made me feel like I was either the Michelin Man, or that Synthol kid from Russia. I really don't get what the hype is all about. I prefer my arms flat, thank you very much.

DE press
    80 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

This was a bit awkward with the "pump" thing going on. I tried to shake it off but it took 2-3 sets for the press to feel natural again.

The nice thing about this is that I get do a whole set on a single breath. It was also a good opportunity to start breaking in my new SS belt. I haven't used it much yet as it seemed unwise to wear an unfamiliar belt during a heavy, challenging lift.

BB Curls
    35 X 8, 8, 8

Please don't judge me. I'm trying to be coachable. Since I've been complaining about the bench press beating up my arms, this is intended to add some meat (and tolerance) to them.

Next session on the program is deadlift day. Hopefully I will get to it on Sunday, but it might have to wait until Monday. I am attending a party out of town tomorrow for my best friend's birthday, and I might not be in my best shape the next day. My guess is that deadlift day will be pretty brutal, so I'll push it one day to the right if I have two. It's been about a month since I last had two days off in a row, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Today was the bench day of my new program.

Bench press
    130 X 7
    115 X 8, 8

As much as I was hoping to prove Granny and my coach right, I didn't get that 8th rep. That said, I did try and gave it a fair shot.

Not the end of the world. I completed the next 2 sets, and found those harder than expected.

I experienced something new today: that "pump" thing that is so sought after by a certain crowd. As it turns out, I'm not a fan at all. By the end of third set, bending my arms at the elbow made me feel like I was either the Michelin Man, or that Synthol kid from Russia. I really don't get what the hype is all about. I prefer my arms flat, thank you very much.

DE press
    80 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

This was a bit awkward with the "pump" thing going on. I tried to shake it off but it took 2-3 sets for the press to feel natural again.

The nice thing about this is that I get do a whole set on a single breath. It was also a good opportunity to start breaking in my new SS belt. I haven't used it much yet as it seemed unwise to wear an unfamiliar belt during a heavy, challenging lift.

BB Curls
    35 X 8, 8, 8

Please don't judge me. I'm trying to be coachable. Since I've been complaining about the bench press beating up my arms, this is intended to add some meat (and tolerance) to them.

Next session on the program is deadlift day. Hopefully I will get to it on Sunday, but it might have to wait until Monday. I am attending a party out of town tomorrow for my best friend's birthday, and I might not be in my best shape the next day. My guess is that deadlift day will be pretty brutal, so I'll push it one day to the right if I have two. It's been about a month since I last had two days off in a row, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
    My tris blow up too. Well the 134 looked so easy for you, and 7 is still great. Consistent bar speed til the very end. Doesn’t that give you an e1rm around 160??!! Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    My tris blow up too. Well the 134 looked so easy for you, and 7 is still great. Consistent bar speed til the very end. Doesn’t that give you an e1rm around 160??!! Awesome!!!
    Thanks Granny!

I have no clue what my 1RMs would be and, oddly enough, I'm not that interested in finding out. I have never used a 1RM calculator; I just know they exist because of all the guys bragging about their "estimated 1 RMs" around here and elsewhere.

I haven't been "counting" something as a PR unless I can do it for a bare minimum of 2 triples.

Fun fact: I've never tried to lift a weight that wasn't scheduled to be lifted that day. Like that 95 lbs press... I've thought about "trying it" before I actually reached that point in my program, but never did. I just stuck with 1-lb jumps until I got there. Same with the squat. I'd like to try 225 lbs, but I won't until my program takes me there. I'm not obsessed about the possibility of getting injured, but I do not want my ego to be the primary cause of an injury.

So I had to push deadlift day to Monday because that of my girl's night out on Saturday.

I will confess that I was dreading that session. When all your deadlift sets have been for triples for over a year, sets of 8 are fucking intimidating.

DE squats
    170 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

With my coach's permission, I decided to start with these. I often get light headed after deadlifting and towards the end of a squat set. It didn't seem wise to put myself under a relatively heavy bar after all the deadlifting scheduled in that session. This ended up being the right call.

Oddly enough, those squats were not much faster than my regular squats, but those are not particularly slow to begin with.

Andy Baker talks about paused box squats for DE, but given my lack of coordination and proprioception, having an object behind me during the squat sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Deadlift
    205 X 8
    185 X 8, 8

The idea of doing this kept me awake on Sunday night. 205 is lighter than 235, but I haven't reached the point where I would consider 200 light under any circumstances. Even a single set of 8 at 185 sounded like a stretch, let alone 2 after a that top set at 205!

Yet I did somehow it, even a weekend of abundant drinking and limited sleep... While those are not my prettiest deadlifts, they are not my ugliest by any measure. While there is some back flexion during the last reps of each set, I've had way worse reps on much shorter sets.

I think the slight changes to my setup have been helping: a slightly wider stance, and straighter feet.

Snatch grip deadlift
    145 X 5, 5, 5

I had no clue whether this would feel heavy or not, but 145 lbs was a reasonable place to start for a first attempt at this new lift.

I did the first set without straps, but holding the bar got difficult and distracting beyond rep 2. It also put quite a bit of pressure on my RA-inflamed little fingers, but straps then mitigated this issue. From now on, I will always wear straps to perform this left.

Two things I really liked:
    - It is easier to "push the floor away from the bar" in that position.
    - With the belly closer to the thighs, the cue "shove your belly down between your thighs" is very effective.

Hopefully this carries over to my regular deadlift. Today, my upper back is pretty sore, especially the back of the shoulders. Something definitely happened up there.

Tomorrow is press day. We shall see whether I can indeed press 90 lbs for a set of 8...

Today was press day, but not a very good one.

Press
    90 X 4, 4
    80 X 8, 7

The program called for 90 X 8 and then 80 X 8, 8. Obviously that didn't happen. I'm not surprised whatsoever given that my current PRs are 86 X 5 and 95 X 3. I've always been under the impression that my 1RM couldn't be much higher (no more than 5 lbs) than what I can lift for a set of 3.

After failing the first set, I gave it a second shot to ensure it was not just a bad set as it often happens with the press. I also wanted to get my target volume for the day.

Back-off sets were better, though I missed the last rep of the second set. Perhaps I should have rested longer between those sets; fatigue built in very quickly during the second one.

I sent my back brief to the coach; this should trigger an interesting change to the program.

DE Bench
    115 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Another instance of speed work that is not much faster than my regular work. So far I am not a huge fan of this method, though I like it with the press.

Note to self: I need to be more mindful when I load the bar. I had a misload during my last warm-up set at 105, with one side beside 2.5 lbs heavier than the other. My shoulder did not appreciate. This also happened 2 weeks ago during my press warm up. It has to stop or this won't end well.

Dumbbell rows
    35 X 8, 8, 8

Boring stuff. Oddly enough, right side felt much stronger than the left side. That's weird since my left arm looks way better!

Back with squat day on Friday! Hopefully I'll look prettier during those front squats.

Hello Tiny,

I have been looking for your posts but haven't seen one in a while. Hope you are not suffering an injury.

Bill

No injury to report, thankfully. I just came back from another trip to Forestville. My husband turned 60 last week, and I dragged his ass up there so his mother could be with him on this occasion. It had not happened since 1979!

It's interrupted my training, but I've completed Wave 2 since my last post.

Squat Day (08/04)

Squat
    205 X 5 (6 reps was the plan)
    185 X 6, 6

I think I should have been able to complete that first set of 6. Probably a combination of a bad squat day (Friday is never my strongest training day) and of being too slow between reps. I'm still not used to doing those longer sets, so conditioning remains a factor in adapting to this type of programming.

Front squat
    130 X 4
    127.5 X 5, 5

Going from 125 to 130 was probably too ambitious given that I'm still learning the lift. Coach told me to go down to 120 and build from there. I'm also doing a bunch of stretching to improve my front rack.

DE deadlift
    185 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Bench press day (10/04)

Bench press
    134 X 6
    120 X 6, 6

Very surprised I got my 6 reps during that first set! Here's proof. I think the back-off sets were a bit light, but I'm not sure how much this matters.

DE press
    85 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

In the DE department, the press is by far my favorite.

Deadlift day (12/4)

DE squat
    175 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

The montage I made for the coach is actually pretty cool. It's amazing how consistent my position is from from set to the next. If it weren't for the background music, one could barely tell that those are 5 different sets.

Deadlift
    217.5 X 6
    195 X 6, 6

Back angle was not *perfect* on that first set, but I had a strap malfunction during my setup and I think it affected my focus. The next 2 sets look pretty textbook, though there is some fatigue towards the end of the last set.

Snatch-grip deadlift
    150 X 5, 5, 5

Definitely a keeper. I think I will be able to add some serious weight to this one.

Then came the trip, affording me a 4-day break.

Press day (17/04)

Press
    85 X 6
    77 X 6, 6

I think the back-off sets were a bit light again.

DE bench press
    118 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Next is Wave 3, which is based on sets of 4 (yay!). I'm mostly worried about the bench press day, where I'm expected to do 142 X 4. I'm not even sure I can unrack this, let alone do 4 reps with that much weight. But I didn't think I could do 130 X 7 or 134 X 6 either, so I guess I'll have to try it and see what happens. Even if I spectacularly fail, this will provide good data for my coach.

Then I don't know what is next (yet). I'm sticking with this coaching thing for a minimum of 12-16 weeks. Though I would never use conjugate programming myself (I dislike variety, suck at learning new movements, and couldn't care less about my 1RMs), I've become a huge fan of Andy Baker's new podcast, and he's adamant that doing any program for less than 12 weeks is pretty much a waste of one's time. So unless the coach dumps me (I've been a bit of pain in his ass), I will give his program an honest run.

starting strength coach development program
    What I do is expend air at the top, breathe back in and drop into the next rep. I find the longer I hold the bar in the air, the more energy is saps from me.

April 17 2022 Texas Method Volume Day Squat 195lbs - YouTube

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast