starting strength gym
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtg100 View Post
    Just popped back into this thread and wanted to say I wasn't critizing your set/rep decision, I was just interested. I didn't intend to stir any disagreement. Do what you're doing, your numbers are quite impressive!
    No worries man! Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks for your input! I have considered straps, but since I still have a long way to go on the deadlift, I am trying to postpone using straps as much as I possibly can. I am afraid that if I use straps too early, I will get stuck later with no way out...

Whatever you do w.r.t. deadlift grip, please keep posting updates. I hope one day to get my better half into lifting and she has AI-induced grip issues also (although milder than yours). I'm silently trying to learn so i can offer valid suggestions if that day ever comes.

Very Impressed! I'm older, but lifting for several years and never had a 110% BW Dead lift for reps. Nice.

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen!

New numbers...

Squat - 3 X 5 @ 140
    Press - 3 X 5 @ 65
    Bench - 5 X 3 @ 93.5
    Deadlift - 3 X 3 @ 162.5

1 lbs increments are working very well on the press. Slow progress is still progress.

A coworker has built temporary safeties for my squat stand (before and after pictures attached). Those will do the trick until I move this summer, assuming that I am unlikely to squat 200 lbs by July. Then I will have the space to upgrade to a power rack. My new safeties will also work for the bench. Now that I can be braver with those two lifts, my progress might speed up a little bit.

For the deadlift, I am experimenting with two back off (minus 20 lbs) sets of 5 to further work my grip. It seems to be helping so far.

Next addition will be a... 25 mm woman's bar. I ordered one from Rogue this weekend. This bar's circumference will be about 1 cm smaller than my current bar's; this should really help me hold on to the bar during the deadlift, and hopefully take me to the next level. I would also like to try the hook grip, which is impossible with my 28.5 mm bar. I also intend to power clean and do some olympic lifting once I have the proper space and set up to do so; that woman's bar will be handy at that point. Can't wait to move!

20210314_154136.jpg

20210315_161317.jpg

Great update!

Hopefully you have a better experience, but it took me a solid couple of weeks to figure out the hook grip. I still have to futz for a solid 5-10 seconds to get the thumb up under the first two fingers enough, but once it's locked in it's amazing how much stronger it is over a double overhand.

good thoughtful commentary and great work and progress. I love the deadlift, and I've found that grip strength is a fickle mistress. I tried alt grip but wasn't happy with the rotational twisting of my shoulders. I tried hook grip but I actually like my thumbs so that didn't work out. I then came to the conclusion that as I'm well past the age where I might need to crush someone's hand during a shake I just use straps when I need to. I use DOH for as long as I can on my warm up sets and then use straps after that, guilt free. Oh and I use those figure-8 ones, as I could never figure out the other kind.

Grip for deadlift is weird. I've never been what I'd call very strong with my best pull having been 530 but I've never had a problem with hanging onto it despite my child size hands. I'm serious, my wedding ring is like a 7 3/4 despite being an otherwise normal size person. But like they say, if you haven't lost your grip deadlifting it just means you're not strong enough to lift enough to lose your grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for your feedback and encouraging words! I find myself looking forward to posting something here!

Here is another update. Nothing groundbreaking but still progressing.

BW 116 lbs - I credit my LOMAD diet for this. And Subway's tuna sandwich - a daily occurrence lately.

Squat - 3 X 5 @ 145
    Press - 3 X 5 @ 66
    Bench - 5 X 3 @ 96.5
    Deadlift - 3 X 3 @ 170

Still repeating squat workouts unless I hit 3 X 5. Sometimes this happens on my first attempt at a new weight, sometimes it takes 2 to 3 workouts. This improves my bar speed quite a bit and it keeps my squat lower than my deadlift. The squat has always been my strongest movement. After almost 3 months, I am 5 lbs away from a Cat. IV squat according to the Starting Strength standards (intended for a 1 RM).

No change in the press. Still going one pound at a time. My last press warm up felt like crap, but the work set was epic. I really enjoy this particular movement. I made a mistake, though. I decided to attend my unit's optional PT session last Wednesday. There was pressing on the menu (sets of max reps for 30 sec), so I just grabbed a 45 lbs barbell to show off a little - most guys twice my size were using a loaded barbell amounting to 65 lbs. The PT session earned me some bragging rights but cost me an extra day of rest on my NLP. Silly me!

The bench is my least favorite movement. I do it because it is in the program, but I do not draw much satisfaction or pride from it. I have been down to 5 sets of 3 for a while, and I am still using 1.5 lbs increments. I might switch to 1 lbs in the foreseeable future. I find I have to play quite a bit with grip width from workout to workout. Lately I have been using a grip where with the pinky and ring fingers on the knurling, and the index and middle finger on the shiny part. Today that grip was just making my tiny weeny pecs burn like hell. I played around with it and ended up doing my work sets with only the index finger on the shiny part. That worked out pretty well; I even got three sets of 4 in there (second, third and fourth set).

Deadlift. Two game changers here. First, I received my lady barbell from Rogue on Friiiday and this is indeed a lot easier to hold on to. The knurling is also less aggressive than that of my el cheapo standard barbell, so it does not dig into my calluses as much. This was well worth the price and wait.

The other game changer comes with a confession. I currently rent a semi-detached house on the military base where I work. Those houses are old and pretty flimsy. Mine neither has a basement nor a garage. There is a shed, but this is not a year-round option when you hate the cold as much as I do. I am your stereotypical woman; for me, 22 C/72 F sets the minimum standard of acceptable temperature.

So my home gym is in a bedroom on the second floor, with my neighbours' bedroom right across the wall, and their living room underneath. I have to lower my deadlift very slowly and delicately to avoid damage to the room and to my relationship with my lovely neighbours.

This has not helped with my progress on the deadlift, but I did not know to what extent until today. Over the past few days, we have had unusually clement weather over here. So I decided to drag my stuff outside (a workout in an of itself) to deadlift on sturdier grounds. My latest RA flare-up also appears to be backing off, which I see as an opportunity to "keep up the gainz", to quote my coworkers.

Holy molly! That was awesome! The warm-up sets went so well that I opted for a 5 lbs jump from last workout. Greedy me, but now I wish I had gone to 175 lbs. My last set of three was pretty grindy, but not nearly as much as when I do this upstairs (where all sets are grindy, with dubious form). Seriously, I have to be so delicate when I lower the barbell that I might as well be carrying Snow White to a bed of roses.

Yes, it is a pain in the ass to carry out my stuff from the upstairs bedroom to my driveway, but I will do this every single time the weather cooperates. This is another reason to look forward to my move in July - garage, here I come! In the meantime, though, I can start training my power clean, since doing this in the upstairs bedroom was never an option.

Here is a picture of today's setup.

VideoCapture_20210322-205532.jpg

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast