starting strength gym
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back in PR territory!

Intensity press - 3 sets of 5 reps at 85 lbs (PR)

This was a big day for me. Getting to 85 lbs on sets of 5 has been a dream of mine since reaching 65 lbs. I was listening to Robert Santana's last podcast yesterday and he talks about his girlfriend being all excited about putting a 10-lb plate on each side. I totally relate to that. But then you want to put two! I see it as a small person's version of a two-wheel press.

I start set 1 and it is going well, but by rep 4, rep 5 seems like wishful thinking. But it goes up. Grindingly so, but still.

Then comes set 2. The last two reps are very grindy this time.

I take a 5-minute rest. By the time my timer rings, I am all nervous like I am about to take a test. One set of fahve away from a dream come true.

So I get set 3 started. Rep 1 goes up so confidently that I get excited, forget to squeeze for rep 2 and end up being off balance at the top. I panic a little but keep going. Rep 3 is fine, rep 4 is a bit grindy, and then comes The Most Important Rep. I pushed on this thing for FOUR SECONDS to get it to the top! And for the second time, I got that shaky thingy that happened during my last deadlift session. I saw the same thing happen to a guy (or god?) who posted a 270-lb press video on the Network.

Though there are probably a dozen things wrong about my form, I could not be happier about today's pressing session. Had I gone RPE, I would have racked the thing after rep 4 on every set. And today's Most Important Rep definitely taught me something about grinding.

Volume squat - 5 X 5 at 182.5 lbs

This is a bit boring compared to the above, but I follow my training session's sequence. Obviously I was in a great mood for the squat, even dancing around between sets.

I pulled something in my right butt cheek during my third warm-up set (at 125 lbs), but it is not painful, just slightly annoying.

One interesting thing about today's squat session is that after every rep, I was under the impression that I had not gone deep enough. Yet when I watched the videos, my reps are either deep enough or too deep. So this misperception must be a side effect of using a lower weight on volume day. Having completed 5 X 5, I will raise the weight by 2.5 lbs next time.

Brava! That was a great Most Important Rep!!!

I get all shaky on those limit presses too, which are a looooooooong way from 270lbs. Regardless, like you, we just get under the bar and get it moving.

Keep at it!!

Thank you, Bill!

Before you know it you'll be slapping on the 25's! Now next week, show that deadlift what's up!

Thanks again, gentlemen!

Last training session of 2021, with one last PR.

Intensity bench - 5 sets of 3 at 124 lbs (PR)

This felt quite hard with my shoulders and arms quite beat up from yesterday epic pressing session, but hey, it worked. I might have to add a day of rest between those two pressing days at some point, but so far so good. Looking forward to hitting 125 lbs next week!

Having achieved another PR, I get to reward myself by wearing the new fragrance I bought today. It better be good.

Chin ups - 7, 5, 5, 4, 4

Got one extra rep in, but those are getting pretty hard on my finger joints, even with the padded bar.

Some experimentation with straps. I might need to get something more suitable to my small hands.

Tomorrow is a day off. I will attempt a 205 lbs squat on Sunday, take another day off, and reattempt that 232.5 lbs deadlift on Tuesday.

First, I must confess to feeling a bit guilty about today's workout. My husband tweaked his back during his deadlift yesterday. It was just a pinch at first, but this morning, he could barely move. I'm afraid he is unserviceable until further notice.

But selfish me nevertheless proceeded to hit a new PR in the basement while my husband was soaking in the tub.

Intensity squat - 3 X 3 at 205 lbs (PR)

Very tough, especially The Most Important Rep. The one you don't know that you can do? That one.

I'd even say that the last set as a whole was pretty terrifying. My nerves get in the way and that is probably not helping. By the time I manage to un-rack the bar, by heart is already racing.

Videos show that I am going too low but there are worse problems in life. I recorded the last two sets from the front as well to see what my knees were doing. The knee caving has improved quite a bit. Here is set 3 front and back.

I will wait to see what happens on my next squat volume session to decide what to do during next week's squat intensity session. If I can get my 5 X 5 at 185 lbs on my first attempt, I'll go up 2.5 lbs; if I don't, I'll keep the same weight until the following session.

Volume press - 5 X 5 at 76 lbs

This went well as I used this session to practice my press 2.0. Having very poor coordination and movement awareness, it seemed safer to reintroduce this on a lighter day before using it on a PR press. This went a lot better than I expected. My bar path is pretty straight, I think I just need to be a bit snappier about it and to get the timing right (and to keep thinking about the other things I need to be doing right, like squeezing the crap out of everything). Here is set 4 featuring a guest star.

Normally I would do my deadlift session tomorrow, but I am adding an extra day of rest this week just to be safe and ensure that under-recovery is not a factor for my second attempt.

nice job on those squats!!! I'm sure that last rep felt like a 20 second grind, but you powered through nicely

Thanks, Mr. Bingley!

It's funny how such reps feel a lot worse than they look... I was expecting a 20-second rep when I watched the video; yet it's only 1 or 2 seconds slower than the previous reps.

Am I glad to have listened to you guys? You bet!

Volume bench - 5 X 5 at 110 lbs

Still boring. I was not very focused when I performed those sets. For obvious reasons, I was already thinking about the next lift.

Deadlift - 2 sets of 3 at 232.5 lbs (PR)

And you were right. Under-recovery was probably the issue last week. I suspect my grip strength in particular was also under-recovered.

Something funny happened during my last warm-up set. I normally do this one lighter than I should so as to spare my grip strength for the work sets. Today I did a single at 205 lbs with a double-overhand grip. I had to lower the bar before lock out as it was coming out of my hands already. The video shows that shaky thingy happening again, even though the weight is relatively light. Interesting.

This occurrence made me even more nervous about the work sets. I was so afraid of failing again; I'm relieved I didn't.

Those two triples are neither my prettiest nor my ugliest deadlift sets. To be honest though, I don't really about my far-from-perfect form today. Though there appears to be a mild improvement from my previous deadlift sessions, I completed both triples and that is all what matters to me this week. I will keep working on my form, but I prefer to do this while still increasing the weight on the bar. Is a PR deadlift ever performed with perfect form?

Now I really need to get serious about using straps. I've ordered some materials to make my own, as well as the Rogue straps that I've seen in one of Nick's videos. The looped straps we have here are too bulky for my small hands and bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Straps are super cheap. Unless making straps is something you like doing, why not just buy some?

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast