starting strength gym
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Congratulations on getting that all done!

Bench day (April 30th)

Bench
    130 X 4, 4 (target was one set of 7+ reps)
    120 X 5, 5, 5

DE press
    62.5 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Deadlift day (May 2nd)

DE squat
    150 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Deadlift
    210 X 8 (target was 7+)
    195 X 5, 5, 5

Snatch-grip deadlift
    157.5 X 5, 5, 5

Those are the last two workouts of my very short coaching journey, which is already over. I am back on my own now, and here are the key takeaway from that experience.

Enjoying my program and my workouts matters a lot to me. Training brings me joy, and I now realize that I have come to value joy over performance. I would rather have a 235-lb deadlift forever than hate every minute I spend training or thinking about training.

High-volume, heavy deadlifts fry my lower back to an unprecedented extent. It is crippling for two full days and then keeps lingering for another two. I do not see the point of training for strength if it leaves me weak and useless for four days every week.

To benefit from a fresh lower back, I need as much rest as possible between deadlift sessions and press sessions.

My deadlift benefits from squatting with less frequency and volume. Murican Bill was right all along. Squatting twice a week, compressed TM style, and deadlifting on a third day was counter productive.

I can do squats and deadlifts during a single training session, provided I schedule enough recovery prior to and following that session.

I do enjoy learning new compound movements but cannot treat them like add-ons. Learning a new lift requires a lot of focus and effort from me; I cannot do this properly one hour into an intense workout, or after 3-4 grueling sets of low-bar squats.

My lack of interest in high-rep work, in lifting artificially light weights (I’m looking at you, DE press), and in “isolation” movements remains stable, at close to zero, since 2010.

That means that I am probably not a good candidate for coaching, and that is fine. You can’t always get what you wan-ant.

Today, I had my first self-programmed workout in 6 weeks, and the joy is back.

Front squat
    125 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Volume bench
    122 X 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Snatch
    35 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

My next program is not set in stone since I need to assess whether I have regressed, stalled, or progressed on each lift. My main concern is with the press, having not lifted anything heavier than 90 lbs in 6 weeks. I doubt that 95 PR still stands, but we shall see.

The next week will be a bit of a test, as I experiment with some sort of combination between a 3-day TM and a 4-day split. Today was somewhat equivalent to a TM light day.

My priority is to resume my progression on the press, squat, and bench. Should my deadlift remain uncooperative, so be it. I can make it a higher priority later.

So if I complain about my deadlift again, please call me out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    [B]Bench day (April 30th)
    Enjoying my program and my workouts matters a lot to me.
    I think you are on the right track. Have you read The Barbell Prescription?

High volume heavy deadlifts should not be done, (well, ok, maybe occasionally lol) and are not the Program. I want to see your double bodyweight dead dammit

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    I think you are on the right track. Have you read The Barbell Prescription?
    I haven't read it cover to cover but have gone over the programming section.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    High volume heavy deadlifts should not be done, (well, ok, maybe occasionally lol) and are not the Program. I want to see your double bodyweight dead dammit
    100% agree, but I guess it can work with a certain crowd. On the bright side, this has improved my form. Lots of practice!

I want a 2 X BW deadlift too, but not badly enough I guess. If I have to pick between a forever stalled deadlift and what I've been through over the last month, I'll take the 235 deadlift and savour every second of it.

Enjoying my program and my workouts matters a lot to me. Training brings me joy, and I now realize that I have come to value joy over performance. I would rather have a 235-lb deadlift forever than hate every minute I spend training or thinking about training.

High-volume, heavy deadlifts fry my lower back to an unprecedented extent. It is crippling for two full days and then keeps lingering for another two. I do not see the point of training for strength if it leaves me weak and useless for four days every week.

To benefit from a fresh lower back, I need as much rest as possible between deadlift sessions and press sessions.

My deadlift benefits from squatting with less frequency and volume. Murican Bill was right all along. Squatting twice a week, compressed TM style, and deadlifting on a third day was counter productive.
    Yep, that hobbling around for days and days while getting stronger seems quite counterproductive. I'm going to play with my thresholds for both once I return to my warm-weather standard programming in a few weeks time, but have chosen to keep driving my rack pull/deadlift up and expecting the squats to slowly follow along.

It has been interesting to watch your coaching experience to see which direction that you'd choose. Thanks for sharing!

Keep at it!

Thanks, Bill!

So what I have in mind for my next program is a mix of TM, HLM, 4-day split.

For the bench and the press, I would go back to what I was doing from December to March, basically a 4-day TM, where I either bench or press every other day, alternating volume (5 X 5) and intensity (5 triples) sessions. It has served me well so far and I like it. Both movements have been responding well to a high frequency, intensity, volume and tonnage (all things relative to my size, obviously). If it ain't broke, why fix it? Eventually I will probably start treating my bench like a squat, but I don't think I am quite there yet, and driving further progress on the bench is likely to help my press recover from its de-trained state.

For the squat and the deadlift, I am thinking of doing a HLML, if that makes any sense. Basically a 4-day HLM with 2 light days. Today was a trial of my "medium" day.

Intensity press
    95 X 2, 1, 1
    90 X 3
    91 X 2, 2
    90 X 3, 3, 3, 3

Today was dedicated to assessing where I should restart my intensity sessions. Having completed 5 triples at 90lbs, I will start adding 1lb per week from there.

Not sure what this means for my volume session. Back in March I had done 86lbs for 5 X 5, but based on today's session, I doubt this still stands. I don't think it will be necessary to go all the way down to 81lbs (which is what I was doing when my press was at 90lbs in February), so I'll have to test the waters on this one as well.

Volume squat
    197.5 X 5, 5, 5

This went really well. I used to cycle my volume in a TM fashion from 3 to 5 sets of 5 over a 3-week period, but I would like to try a HLM approach of 2-3 sets of 5 on medium days to see whether my recovery and my deadlift like that better. With no squatting on the second light day of my HLML, doing up to 3 sets should not kill me.

Snatch-grip deadlift
    160 X 5, 5, 5

This will be my medium pull as suggested in this article. I will be using conservative 2.5lb jumps and move to triples in the foreseeable future. That said I will have to see how my lower back responds to this. But with a second light day, I'm hoping to keep this one in.

Pretty good training session overall, though screwing around with my press took a long time. I guess I should be disappointed that it has regressed as much, but I was totally expecting that. It should be back to where it was in a month.

Second light day of my HLML trial, with a twist to make bench day less boring.

Under different circumstances, I would probably have taken today off. Yesterday was not quite a rest day. I reestablished the summer gym in the garage, which involved carrying a bunch of heavy stuff (stall mats, barbells, bumpers plates and rack) upstairs from the basement. The mats were the worst with their awkward size and my short limbs. My hands and arms were still sore from yesterday's relocation process.

But I wanted to train and, since the bench press is remains a pretty low priority, I figured that doing today's session in a not-so-optimal state of recovery was not a huge risk to take.

Intensity bench
    135 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (PR)

As with the press, I trialed the weight that I could last lift for a triple.

It is somewhat fascinating that all 5 sets were consistently limit sets. While some of that leg/hip movement might qualify as cheating, I do not care.

I am going to pretend that this was my first time benching with grown-up wheels. It has technically happened before, but it did not quite meet my expectations. Let's just say that the workout I did with 142, 138 and 135 was very anti-coital, as a friend of mine says to describe unsatisfying events.

By that standard, today was highly coital. There are some ugly, not-so-legit reps in there, but I did my 5 triples with the grown-up wheels. My lifetime goal for the bench used to be 95lbs...

Of note, that stupid pump thing came back, but I am going to assume that it is a temporary adaptation to going back to my good ol' pressin' program.

Power clean
    65 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

I wanted to do C&Js, but my arms were beat up at that point, so I stuck with the Cs. My first cleans of 2022.

I find it tricky to clean a light weight, but one has got to start somewhere, so 65lbs was that start. I cannot speak to my form yet (I still have to review my videos in depth), but the catch was sooo much better than it was last year's. I think the meat I have grown on my compressed TM is paying off! I did not smash my left clavicle once (as I always used to)! That will spare me a lot of awkward conversations with random coworkers (...is everything okay as home, honey?).

Now we shall see how my bunioned feet and shin-split-prone lower legs respond to that, but with all the precautions and measures I have taken in preparation for this, I am quite hopeful that I will be able to actually train the clean this time around.

Then I could tren hard, eat clen, anavar give up while identifying as a man who identifies as a woman, so as to compete with 10X as much testosterone as my fellow female competitors. How stunning and brave would that be?

starting strength coach development program

There are some ugly, not-so-legit reps in there, but I did my 5 triples with the grown-up wheels. My lifetime goal for the bench used to be 95lbs...
    While not competition qualifying, you got them done. Sometimes it will be like that, especially when pushing limit sets. Brava!

Then I could tren hard, eat clen, anavar give up while identifying as a man who identifies as a woman, so as to compete with 10X as much testosterone as my fellow female competitors. How stunning and brave would that be?
    Enjoy that wine!

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast