starting strength gym
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a big fan of singles for intensity day Tiny, and as much rest as I feel I need between reps.

Back in '21 I was on heavy bench and press on same day and it was pretty tough on my old shoulders. Much better for me to split those up.

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    I am a big fan of singles for intensity day Tiny, and as much rest as I feel I need between reps.

Back in '21 I was on heavy bench and press on same day and it was pretty tough on my old shoulders. Much better for me to split those up.
    If you don't mind me asking, do you remember how much rest you'd typically need between press singles?

One of the reasons why I decided to introduce this into my program was to do a bit of a recce for my husband. He cannot bench at the moment, but pressing 3 times per week in a NLP fashion doesn't seem to do the trick for him anymore. I'm exploring his options for a change in programming. Given that you two are the roughly the same age and size, I'd be curious to know how much rest I should recommend as a starting point for him (he tends to not rest enough between sets).

I think a change in programming would also help with his compliance. While I enjoy doing always the same stuff in the gym, he has a thing for variety and often throws random sets after his planned work sets (and sometimes, in lieu of). I figure we might as well take advantage of that enthusiasm for variety but structure it properly. Timing is good now that the garage gym is up and serviceable for the summer. He won't have to worry about hitting the beams of the basement's ceiling anymore, which should help him make further progress.

My rest periods for intensity day varies. I used to try and keep it to a fixed time, like 5 minutes, but now I go more by feel. I stopped trying to stay within a fixed time frame. I can go as high as 10 minutes some days. I honestly don't have the energy to push harder and keep numbers going in the right direction.

I gave myself an extra day off before today's session. I had not slept much on Tuesday and Wednesday night, and noticed a few occurrences of light-headedness at the office during the day, suggesting I was not well hydrated. While my blood pressure is ridiculously low most of the time, I only get symptoms when I'm not careful about getting enough fluid. I should have clued in first thing Thursday morning when I weighed myself. Anyhow, I treated myself with two bottles of Pedialyte last night (I need to get myself some shares in that company) and it was all good today.

Squat
    217.5 X 3, 3

This was my last PR before the coaching experiment. However, both sets were pretty ugly back then. I think today's were much better. I am quite proud of my depth, and my knees behaved themselves pretty well throughout. Going up for a new PR next time, and getting closer to a two-plate squat.

Volume press
    82 X 5 X 5

Nothing special to report here; my press appears to respond well to the resumption of my previous program.

Deadlift
    230 X 2, 2, 2

For the foreseeable future, I'm going for 3 doubles. I recently reached out to a credible aspiring SSC, and this was his recommendation based on my training history: "Do three doubles at 230. Keep adding 5lbs to your doubles on a weekly basis. Let me know when this stops working." So this is the plan until further notice.

An advantage is that I got 5 good looking reps instead of 4. With 2 triples the last rep is always ugly, whereas only my very last rep falls into that category today. And I think it's because I got distracted when my husband pulled into the driveway during the set.

I'm still trying to figure out an effective setup to record those in the garage. I got some usable footage today but adjusting the setup between every reps was annoying, and watching the video with the tripod falling after the first rep gives me motion sickness (I get sea sickness from snorkeling!). I'll experiment some more during my snatch-grip deadlift session on Tuesday.

Quick update before tonight's guest shows up.

Front squat
    130 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Volume bench
    124 X 5, 5, 5

I'm cutting down bench press sets from 5 X 5 to 3 X 5 and from 5 X 3 to 3 X 3. We shall see whether I can get away with this.

Snatch
    45 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

I haven't carefully reviewed my videos yet, but I think I got a few pretty good reps. Can't wait to get to 55lbs so I can start with the bar sitting on the floor. Hopefully I will get there in 2 weeks.

A medium day that went rea[insert Swedish accent here]lly well, despite the odds not being in my favour.

First, I went for another bike ride yesterday. I treat biking as leisure rather than as sports/training, but my neighbourhood is somewhat hilly and there is just no way around climbing those hills. The plan was to squat for 3 sets of 5 at 200lbs, but activating CONPLAN 15 REPS was in the back of my mind before I even got started.

Then I got some unexpected news. Long story short, a legit investigation has finally been launched into the ill-treatment of a subordinate of mine 5 years ago. Finally. So my mind has been racing all day and this was not optimal for keeping my groove during the press.

Finally, my former work husband called between the squat and the snatch-grip deadlift. Since he's been going through some hardship lately, I decided to take the call anyway (normally, I wouldn't have). So there was a 50 minute break between my squat sets and my deadlifts'.

Intensity press
    92 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

This went well despite the fact that I was very distracted by today's announcement. I am quite confident that I am on track to return to PR territory in 4 weeks.

Volume squat
    200 X 5, 5, 5

When I started this program, my goal was a 135lbs squat. Then it became a 150lbs squat. After that it went to 175, 185 and 200. Today I did a volume session of 3 sets of 5 at a weight that was a lifetime goal a few months ago. This is the beauty of Starting Strength: it turns lifetime goals into light weights.

Okay, the 15th rep is a bit shallow. But I forgive myself; this felt like a leap-of-faith rep (it clearly wasn't, though).

Snatch-grip deadlift
    165 X 5, 5, 5

Despite the disruption caused by my former work husband's phone call, those went pretty well. I further adjusted my grip based on the snatches I did on Sunday, which led to a strap mishap on set 2 (pinching my RA-inflamed thumb joint). Besides that, there is room for adding weight to the bar for the foreseeable future, and I'm already at 70% of the heaviest weight I've ever deadlifted for a triple.

Fun fact, I feel like those hit my pecs pretty hard. I don't even feel the bench press in my pecs! Am I some kind of weirdo?

On a last note, my odd HLML 4-day split seems to be working very well so far. My lower-back always feels fresh now and, besides my regression on the press, I'm quite happy with my numbers and progress.

Pretty glorious day for a light day.

Intensity bench
    137 X 3, 3, 3 (PR)

I had a a bit of a misgroove on set 2; I think the first rep touched too low on the chest or something to that effect. At least it didn't keep me from completing the set. My grinding skills are definitely improving.

Press singles
    97 X 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 (PR)

With my husband having mandatory fun with his colleagues tonight, Darius got bored and decided to volunteer unsolicited feedback through my pressing session.

While another misgroove occurred on set 2, I somehow managed to realign the damn thing. It's too early to tell whether the addition of singles is helping so far, but pushing through my sticking point felt easier today. This might just be a coincidence though.

Power clean
    80 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Oddly enough, this was the highlight of today's session. I think I am finally getting somewhere with my form. Since I couldn't spot an arm pull even if my life depended on it, I might request a form check to find out whether I am indeed headed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    Since I couldn't spot an arm pull even if my life depended on it, I might request a form check to find out whether I am indeed headed in the right direction.
    re: arm pull - typically it will show as a slowing of the bar just as the bar passes the knees. At least, that's what an SSC told me when I did some in-person coaching last year. Perhaps your very last rep of the video showed a little bit of it, but I'm not certain. One solution is to rotate your elbows forward right before you initiate the pull off the ground. That will lock things in place.

But yes, definitely ask for a form check. It's never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post

Power clean
    80 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Oddly enough, this was the highlight of today's session. I think I am finally getting somewhere with my form. Since I couldn't spot an arm pull even if my life depended on it, I might request a form check to find out whether I am indeed headed in the right direction.
    PCln looks REALLY really good, MUCH improved, you're a natural!!

With a grain of salt:
    I think you may be the slightest bit early. Hard to see without sideways view but the bar winds up forward and crashes on you (light for you).
    Look straight ahead not down (pick a wall spot in front of you to look at), try to lead with your chest.

You could try staying over it longer (raise your torso slower but keep the bar moving the way you are, excellent job keeping it close to your leg).
    You could try no-feet powercleans so you see where the acceleration comes from (no feet - you make a conscious effort to NOT move your feet, NOT jump, you'll have to zing the bar with your hips and your heels will still lift if you're doing it right)
    You may also find that you're just one of those lifters who clean/snatch with a slight arm bend - but it works for you.

Bill is correct, but what he's describing is horrible very early arm bend - you, you don't have that problem.
    Last edited by granny; 05-27-2022 at 05:24 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks to you both for the feedback on my power clean! This is getting more exciting. The coach I reached out to also recommended increasing my speed, so I need to keep adding weight somewhat aggressively to make that happen.

Today was my heavy day. I was a bit apprehensive because I woke up with hip pain yesterday morning. It was even causing a bit of a limp that persisted until the afternoon. It wasn't there this morning, but I could tell that something was still off down there.

Squat
    220 X 2, 2, 1 (PR)

This was my first attempt at a new weight on the squat since March 20th. The warm-up sets went well, with no hip pain to report, but I got very nervous when I unracked the bar for the first work set. New weights are scary!

Obviously the ultimate goal is to do this for 2 triples, but even in optimal circumstances, this was unlikely to happen today on a first attempt. Before the coaching experiment, it would normally take me 2 to 3 sessions to progress from 3 doubles to 2 triples on the squat. So I am not disappointed by today's numbers. Here's the first set.

The hip was fine during the first 2 sets, but I felt a sharp pain on my way up from the first rep of set 3. After hesitating to attempt the last rep, I decided to give it a shot. The pain came back on the way up, so I didn't push this further and called it a day.

Volume press
    83 X 5 X 5

Nothing particularly interesting happened here, but I am quite please with the consistency of my bar path throughout.

Deadlift
    235 X 2, 2, 2

Neither my best nor my worst deadlifts. The back holds during the first rep, but not so much during the second. Maybe an issue here is that I tend to rush to the next rep. Maybe I should take more time to setup properly. I also forgot to focus on my neck position, which probably didn't help with keeping my back set.

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast