starting strength gym
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just came here to brag

Default Just came here to brag

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Adult human female, age 39, 5-foot short, 112 lbs.

Six weeks into SS, I just needed to tell someone about my achievements so far. Yes, I am actually quite proud of those numbers, even though my progress has started to slow down:

- down to 1 lb increments on the press;

- switched to triples on the squat: it became very grindy upon reaching 1 X BW (no safeties, spotter not always available);

- struggling to hold the bar during DL: grip has always been an issue, opening jars is a constant struggle (compounded by carpal tunnel syndrome and RA flare-up in both ring fingers). I am contemplating the possibility of using straps.

Squat - 117.5, 5 X 3

Press - 58, 3 X 5

Bench - 85, 3 X 5

DL - 125, 3 X 5

That is all. Please pretend you are impressed. Thank you.

An impressive start. Actually, all who start are impressive. All who finish are superstars. It is particularly impressive that you are working through carpal tunnel and RA. Keep up the good work.

Why don't you have safeties for the Squat? You probably don't need a spotter but you should have safety bars. A spotter for bench is more valuable than safeties.

I'll be fascinated to see how you progress with the physical limitations. Maybe you will want to get a t-shirt that says "I take iron for RA" or "I take iron for Carpal Tunnel". I have one that says "I take iron for Diabetes". It has a picture of me lifting 375 on the DL.

nice start. What is the lift you enjoy doing the most ? ( variations included )

The proper deadlift, not the sumo silliness.
    I'm beginning to enjoy the Squat and Bench.
    Press is still a challenge.
    How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Darkness View Post
    nice start. What is the lift you enjoy doing the most ? ( variations included )
    The Press!!!

Home gym in a small apartment bedroom (second floor). No room left for an actual squat rack (just using a simple stand for the time being). I am expecting to move this summer (military) and to get a better setup.

"Working toward a bodyweight press is a laudable goal. It provides an appreciation of, and a connection with, an important part of the history of weight training, a time when equipment was simple and training was straightforward... When you press, you train much more than the shoulders and arms. You train the soul of the sport of barbell exercise."

Consider me impressed! You're going to get that bodyweight press before me, at that rate.

The straps aren't a bad idea imo. Autoimmune is no joke (source: my better half is AI, though not RA) and I don't see the need to let that limit the deadlift artificially. That's way outside my lane, though, so don't take my word for it.

Glorious update - with BW fluctuating between 112 and 114 lbs

Squat - 125, 3 X 5

Press - 60, 3 X 5 (sharing the joy: 60 lbs Press PR - YouTube)

Bench - 87.5, 3 X 4 + 2 X 3 (will reattempt 3 X 5)

DL - 140, 5 X 3 (form needs some love)

starting strength coach development program
    BW is up to 114-115.

Hit another psychological milestones with a 135 lbs squat for 5 X 3. On the previous workout, I was somehow able to do 3 X 5 at 132.5 lbs. 2.5 lbs later that was not an option.

Press going well with 1 lbs increments, because slow and steady wins the race. Now at 62 lbs for 3 X 5.

Bench (boring): 89 lbs for 5 X 3. Using 1.5 lbs increments.

Deadlift... that's complicated. Two workouts ago, I had no issue doing 5 X 3 at 150 lbs. The next workout, I added 2.5 lbs and was only able to get 3 X 1. I assumed I was just having a bad day and reattempted yesterday. I successfully completed 3 X 3 at 152.5 lbs, but my hands could not take more sets afterwards. Maybe 15 reps is too much at this point, especially when deadlifting every workout. I will keep shooting for more weight for 3 X 3 and see how that goes for another week. Then I might reassess or seek guidance from somebody who actually knows what they're doing.
    Last edited by tiny&mighty; 02-28-2021 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast