starting strength gym
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a few years behind you (53 this year) and had always struggled with chinups. At my high point at about 35 when I thought I was "in shape", I managed to eke out 3. Then the pandemic lockdowns happened. Several months of using the doorway bar really helped get me to the point that even after a heavy squat/deadlift workout, I can do 3x10 at bodyweight. One technique to try, without the band, is negatives. After your band-assisted chinups, step up to the bar (using your bench or whatever) and hold yourself in the top of the chinup position as long as you can, then slowly lower yourself, fighting gravity. Perhaps 3x5. You'll progress quicker than if you were doing the bands alone.

Great progress all around, Richard. Keep at it!

Thanks Bill, I bet I haven’t been able to do a single proper chin-up in adulthood. Last I remember was as a teenager, maybe for doubles.

Good advice on the negatives, however I can’t even hold at the top, all I can do is slow the plummet. After two months the plummet is slower, but still “uncontrolled”.

I’m hoping the band at hole 6, then hole 5, etc. will prove more progressive.

But per your advice I’ll keep an eye on negatives and maybe add them on alternate days as soon as I can control the decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. My negatives were, for a long time, barely slowed gravity drops. I haven't done any in quite awhile, but I suspect if I were to walk out and do one right now, it would barely be controlled. But they sure seemed to help when I started doing them consistently.

Slept in the bed last night, kept waking every two hours. Didn’t feel pain, just kept waking up. I’ll sleep in the recliner tonight. Maybe it was just dinner...

Today brought my squats and deadlifts within 10lbs of a 70% reset, so I’m slowing to 10lbs jumps for those and think I’ll slow back to my prior 5lb jumps at 85%.

Funny, my favorite recliner makes my injury ache a bit, but my sleeping recliner doesn’t. Anyway feeling much better, good as new mostly.

Still doing super wide grip low bar squats. Was too close got my finger on the hook coming up with an empty bar. Thank god. Lesson learned.

Summary
    Tue 6-1-21
    Body forgot
    Fat forgot
    Squat 125
    Bench 65
    Deadlift 145
    Chin-ups 3x12 w/rubber band on hole 6

I tried 1 on hole 5, so moving to that next.

Default 60 yr old Day One

Back to the recliner, not for pain but I’m getting better sleep. Better than in the bed before the injury. I’ll have to figure that out, but for now, sleep is king.

Lowered the press jumps to 5lbs today as I’m at 70%.
    Also moved my grip narrower by two fingers each side. This is more exactly shoulder width. Seemed ok. That small change let’s my 10lb tiny bit smaller bumper plates bump the ceiling. I’ll have to get some cast iron 25lbs, or press on the lawn - not.

Summary
    Thu 6-3-21
    Body 219
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 135
    Press 70
    Deadlift 155
    Chin-ups 3x9 w/rubber band on hole 5
    Hill climb, pass

Last edited by Richard Durbin; 06-04-2021 at 05:42 PM.

sleep is good

Default 60 yr old Day One

Still feeling good. Tiny bit of dull aching if I sit just right, or lean on my elbows heavy.

I should note that my assisted chin-ups are still not real chin-ups. Flat footed my upper arms are at 45 degrees and I’m not hanging. If I raise my rack high enough to hang, my head will hit the ceiling with the bar at my eyes.
    I did try using the rubber band on my knees, but that was very awkward for some reason.
    So I’ll do these flat footed chins until I don’t need assistance, then raise my rack and do assisted hanging chins to eye height. Upper and lower partials, so to speak. When I can do both without assistance, I should be all set for real honest to god chins with my legs bent for the hang.

I want to put some 6x6 timbers under my rack anyway, the top is too low for pin presses (I presume I’ll do some some day) and the 4inch hole spacing is exactly too high/too low for my low bar squat rack/unrack. A 6inch lift will split that difference.

Sent squats for a YouTube form check

Summary
    Sat 6-5-21
    Body 216.5
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 145
    Bench 75
    Deadlift 165
    Chin-ups 3x10 w/rubber band on hole 5
    Hill climb, raining.

Last edited by Richard Durbin; 06-08-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    I did try using the rubber band on my knees, but that was very awkward for some reason.
    lol it sounds like you were on the rack in Torquemada's basement!

I’ll confess I had to google that…

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast