starting strength gym
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Carson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i shamed myself into it at 50 after, and i kid you not, throwing out my back while leaning over to toss a twinkie wrapper in the trash. 7 years later i am, well was until January, stronger than i have ever been, and enjoying the hell out of it. keep up the good, slow, steady work

Thanks Bingley

Default 60 yr old Day One

Today was my first workout of my second month of NLP, so I plan to summarize my monthly progress to make that easier to look back upon.

Squats were back to 135 without cheating!

Press was 5 lbs more than last time, but no face making this time. hmmm 5lbs more but easier than last time?

Deadlifts, I continue to work on my form, but since I'm not cheating, I keep adding weight.
    I'm trying hard to push my legs first and have my knees straight by the time the bar gets there.
    I can do it in the lighter warmups, and really feel the thighs working harder and the back easier - I like that.
    But at the working weight, old habits kick in and from the videos I can see my knees still out, some, as the bar passes.
    Still I think I'm getting better and I think I can feel less work on my back.
    My goal is to set my back/shoulders, pull (drag really) the bar against my legs, really set my back so that the bar just breaks the ground.
    Then push with my legs while just holding my back, while "pulling" the bar against my legs with my traps and triceps.
    And when the bar passes my knees... then... stand up proud.
    This seems easier and makes sense. Keep the bar as close to (or under) my hips which puts the least leverage on my back.
    Before when I did the opposite, pull with the back - out and over the bent knees... then... straighten my legs.
    I could really feel the weight with my back - makes sense, it was essentially dangling out in front of my bent knees...

Any way, my mind says "knees straight - then back straight", my body says "yup did that", then the camera says, "ha - not quite"
    But I can tell its better, I'll continue working that.

Month ago Summary
    2-18-21
    Body 210 (this might be more like 209 - looking at my notes I think I just wrote that down by memory)
    Fat 28.4
    Squat 75 (and this was cheating)
    Bench 85
    Press 45
    Deadlift 95

Today's summary
    Fri 3-19-21
    Body 212.3
    Fat 28
    Squat 135
    Bench 110 (prior workout)
    Press 75
    Deadlift 200
    No hillclimb, was raining
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 03-27-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Well today was my first “can’t” finish the set...

Started with 145 squats, 10lbs more than last time. Did that.
    Did my bench
    Time for my deadlifts at 210, 10lbs more than last time. Got 2 reps, let go of the third. (I’ve been working on my dead lifts to be legs first then back. I really feel the extra work from my legs and less on my back. But my legs were stalling and I could feel myself making it up with my back, starting to pull over my bent knees. This is my old bad habit. So I let go.)
    I stared at the bar for a moment, thought about trying to force three more reps... seemed like a recipe for bad form.
    So I pulled off 5lbs and did three reps at 205, without too much drama and form I can live with.

I was kind of disappointed that my 10lbs deadlift jumps may have come to an end.

But then the SS App said congratulations for deadlifting your weight (a very welcome white lie) you’re ready to start power cleans, and pull-ups.

I do wonder how my deadlifts are to stay ahead of my squats if I’m squatting every time but dead lifting every other time? Maybe with more recovery time I can keep the 10lbs jumps??

Summary
    Sun 3-21-21
    Body 212.0
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 145
    Bench 115
    Deadlift 210x2 + 205x3
    Hill climb none, too late, honey do’s

Last edited by Richard Durbin; 03-27-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Sully might be able to coach you deads into perfection...well, we are always learning...but into near perfection. Contact him and see.

Most people have little trouble in keeping their deads ahead of squats. I wouldn't worry about that.

Thanks Carson

Well today I couldn’t do my 5th on my first set of presses at 80. So I did 4,4,3,3,1 to get my 15 reps. Then I ordered some fractional plates from Amazon.

Also I did the same 145 for squats, I’ve been taking 5 or 6 big breaths between reps, about half of them motivational. That seemed like a bad habit, and I’m not sure it made it any easier. So I picked up the pace with just 2 or 3 breaths. I’ll try that going forward.

I set my deadlift today at 210 because last time I got 2 at 210, then 3 at 205. So 5 at 215 seemed greedy. I really did want to pull my weight today, but... I’ll do that next time.

Then I finished off with 3 x 10 pull-ups, but mine are just drag downs for now. I’ll get better.

Sent my faster squats and my deadlift in for the YouTube form check.

They did my squats from 3-9 this last Sunday. Pretty funny to watch myself doing all that motivational breathing with 105.

Summary
    Tue 3-23-21
    Body 215.3
    Fat 30.5
    Squat 145
    Press 80 but 4,4,3,3,1
    Deadlift 210
    Pull-ups 3x10 (drag downs)
    Hill climb nope, too late

Last edited by Richard Durbin; 03-27-2021 at 10:33 PM.

The more one tries to rest between heavy lifts the more you burn up energy. It really does not work. One exhale and one big inhale that fills your chest and stretches your belt and squat. You should try not to take more than one breath. This also goes for deads as well. Think of each set as one continuous action. One breath, squat or pull, then one breath and squat or pull...

Sully explains it as a candle. You have just so much wax and when you burn it out with dilly-dallying you can't continue. Try to get sets of 5 in within 30 seconds on both squat and dead.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow, I’m at 1:30 on squats, 2:30 on deadlifts. And that’s way faster than before.
    Yup, I’ve been asking myself if I really needed all that breathing. I shouldn’t really “need” to catch by breath. After all, I can run/walk 5k...

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast