starting strength gym
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Keep at it, Richard! You're already enjoying the benefits, and there are many more to come. The fun part, if you wish, is to drag family and friends along, although most won't want to because it is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    Bench 130 (slooow last rep, time lapse photography slow)
    Doesn't matter. It was a successful rep, right? That's how it's done, sometimes fast, sometimes slow.

One thing to not let enter your mind right now is a reset, especially based on what you perceive to be a slow rep during one workout. There are many reasons why that happened that you may or may not be aware of. Give Rori Alter's article on The Reset a read, which will help you decide when a reset is really necessary, and when it's time to switch that lift to intermediate programming.

Thanks Bill!

It's great to read about the benifits your getting from training. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Jerry!

Default 60 yr old Day One

Good workout day
    Squats are back up to my stall weight of 165.
    Deadlift getting close.

I switched to press 1.0 the time before and again today. The breathing at the top is working better for me, plus my mobility causes some layback to even get my arms straight up, so press 2.0 was not clicking with me yet.
    Also I narrowed my press grip an inch today, I was worried but it seemed to help with the bounce at the bottom.

Summary
    Thu 4-22-21
    Body 217.9
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 165 (w/mobility sets)
    Press 90
    Deadlift 200
    Pull-ups 3x10 (drag downs)
    Hill climb too late

yeah, i've never quite gotten the rockyhorrorpictureshowpelvicthrustthatreallydrives youinsane of 2.0 to work for me

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    i shamed myself into it at 50 after, and i kid you not, throwing out my back while leaning over to toss a twinkie wrapper in the trash. 7 years later i am, well was until January, stronger than i have ever been, and enjoying the hell out of it. keep up the good, slow, steady work
    Best story every BTW.

Since you have your own rack, there is no harm in suspending a piece of PVC (maybe 1" or 3/4") from the safety bars so that your butt touches them at the proper depth. This took a little camera work and experimentation but I "got er dun". Never had a reason to quit using it. Only have to take it out for bench day.

Good work man!

My story was I had picked out a walker at age 62 so that I could continue to go to the zoo and for walks. The walker had a seat so I could rest as needed. My right knee had an unfortunate collage football injury, with an unfortunate surgery, and even more unfortunate lifestyle. Regaining "normal function" seemed "too good to be true". I've dead lifted 315 in a meet, it got red lighted... but it went up. LOL. I like Mr. Bingley's story better. So much symbolism.

Having your own gym is HUGE. I am so impressed with the guys who don't and yet lift consistently.

Default 60 yr old Day One

Vanquished my 170 squat nemesis today with a solid 3x5.
    I’ve added some low bar goal stretches before I start my squats now. Still can’t do low bar, but I remind myself I used to struggle just to keep the bar on my traps and off my neck. So I’m slowly getting better

Only got 4,3,3 on my bench... missing reps was really bugging me, but I’ve acquiesced and consoled myself that, much like fishing and lures, if you don’t miss a rep now and then, you’re not working out.

Deadlift was good, at 205 I felt the thumbs in the hook grip for the first time.

Still loving the ibuprofen free workouts, thank you TUBOW.

Summary
    Sat 4-24-21
    Body 216.2
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 170 (w/mobility sets)
    Bench 132.5 at 4,3,3
    Deadlift 205
    Pull-ups 3x10 (drag downs)
    Hill climb raining
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 04-26-2021 at 10:07 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Cheese, you guys are all an inspiration.

Yes having my rack on the porch has let me get my workouts in every week so far (knock on wood).

Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast