starting strength gym
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

Default 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Born 1960, 6ft 210lbs, probably 20 of that is fat.
    Squat 75lbs, this is where I seemed to start focusing more on the weight than form, so I set that as my starting weight.
    Press 45lbs, wow the empty bar is pretty heavy - I had been using some dumbbells, but two 25s felt easier than the bar.
    Deadlift 95, same as squat, this is where I seemed to shift focus off form to weight.
    Hill climb, I walk down and back up a hill by my home, about 3/4 mile and 300ft down and back. I don’t want to give up this cardio so I plan to do it in the afternoons after a workout. I’ll track the time to see if I get faster.

Summary
    Thu 2-18-21
    Body wt 210
    Squat 75
    Press 45
    Deadlift 95
    Hill climb 35min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 03-06-2021 at 11:06 PM.

I’m male by the way.
    Today was my first B workout.
    So I set my bench at 85, same thing started thinking weight in lieu of form.
    Squats were at 85 today. At this weight for the first time I “felt” the butt up first thing make it easier. All the practice before was too light to notice.
    I’m trying to really focus on all the forms before the weights start getting challenging.

Summary
    Sat 2-20-21
    Body wt 207.1
    Squat 85
    Bench 85
    Deadlift 105
    Hill climb 38:32 (going with a 2.5 k down and back)

Last edited by Richard Durbin; 03-06-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Someone said about my 20lbs fat, wow 10% body fat!”
    So oops I got that wrong, let’s say I have a 20lb gut in addition to regular guy body fat.
    I searched a bit and found a Navy circumference method. That gives me 28.4% body fat. Very believable, I’ll start tracking that too.
    I’ve been drinking more milk, coffee in my milk (vs milk in my coffee), extra wet cereal, glass here and there.
    Yesterday I finished a half gallon. Wow. I’m drinking 1% not whole. From the label the only difference I see is fat content. So I’m shooting for 1/2 gal 1% a day, and will keep an eye on my weight and fat.
    I felt really good Sunday and Monday after Saturday’s workout. Better than I’ve felt after others, back felt good, knee felt good. Don’t know why, milk does a body good?

Still trying to get good form. Squats “feel” pretty low, camera says not really. Press I need to be straighter, posture is not the best. Deadlifts, I think I’m pretty good, need to watch form on the way down...

All these weights are per the iPhone app, warmups, sets x reps. So I’m just listing the workout weights unless something was unique.

Summary
    Tue 2-23-21
    Body weight 209.1
    Fat 28.4%
    Squat 95
    Press 50
    Deadlift 115
    Hill climb 33:26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk UX
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 02-23-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Still feeling good.
    Still drinking 1/2 gal 1%.

Today my wife spotted my bench. I trimmed some fruit trees during my rests. Ah togetherness, it’s the little things.

My workout takes me about 90 min, mostly due to extra focus on form during warm up. I hope to get down to a hour with no messing around.

Starting to “notice” the squats and deadlifts. No straining or groaning, but I can tell I’m lifting weight, such that I am curious to see how long the 10lb jumps continue. My secret weapon plan is milk and naps...

Summary
    Thu 2-25-21
    Body 208.4
    Fat 28.4
    Squat 105
    Bench 90
    Deadlift 125
    Hill climb 33:52

Ok, First of all, congratulations for starting. I did not start until I was 66. So you have an opportunity to get good and strong.

I'm wondering if you are reading the book and if you have consulted with a Starting Strength Coach. You are making some assumptions that have little or nothing to do with the program and may divert you away from strength training.

E.g., you should never focus on weight without focus on form. Make sure and read the book. If you are able you may wish to videotape your lifts and put them on the technique forum or here if you wish.

Another BMI is of little or no importance at this stage. 6 ft. at 210 means almost nothing except for figuring out how much protein you should consume each day. At 210 you could easily in a year be lifting considerably more than you are now. Would you like to have 210 lbs. of muscle or 190 lbs. of fat? Why not set your target for 210 lbs of mostly muscle and eat 1 gram of protein for each pound of weight. I.e., consume 200-220 grams of protein each day.
    Now, go read the book and contact a SS coach. My coach is Dr. Johnathan Sullivan. If you live in or near SE Michigan go see him. If you live nearer another SS coach go see them.

Thank you

I may have been too direct. I am sorry if I was. I don't wish to discourage you.

I wish you the best.

No worries Carson, I looked you up. Very inspirational. I have already made a change based on your advice, but was waiting to post that in my next update.
    Your thoughts are always welcome here.

Thanks to Carson, I got a little wakeup call on my protein...
    I was thinking, hey I'm old and already fat, so if I just add a 1/2 gal of milk to my daily diet, that's 64 extra grams...
    But yeah I get it, even old and fat, I need PROTEIN to GROW muscles...
    So now I'm targeting 200g a day with that milk, plus steak and eggs, salmon dinners, snacks are now a hamburger, yogurt, banana slathered in peanut butter - in lieu of a granola bar.

I do have the blue book, the programing book, and the over 40 book, and am referring to them... I am focusing on form, filming and reviewing my warmups in prep for my worksets. I'll post some form checks once I fix the obvious stuff that even I can see.

I'm not focusing on weight really, just musing how long I'll be able to keep adding 10lbs three times a week before I'll need and adjustment, per the above books.

For my fat percent, I'm not using BMI (useless) but the Navy Circumference Method, which ignores weight/age and is solely based on height, neck and belly circumference. My idea is this will let me be sure I stay "fat enough" as I gain muscle weight. I don't care how much I gain ultimately as long as I don't get much more obese than I already am...

I don't have a SS coach, but I do have the pleasure of reading Dr. Sullivan's "over 40" book, it will be my bible.

During Thursday's deadlifting, on just one lift, I tweaked my back muscles. I've had time to reflect... with the lighter weights I was not "dragging" the bar up my legs. So on one lift Thursday, the bar dangled just a bit more forward (or something) and my back automatically tried to compensate - felt that.
    So Friday I took an ibuprofen, Saturday I pushed my workout to Sunday, took another ibuprofen plus a nice nap. Sunday, no ibuprofen to see how I really felt, not terrible, so I went into my workout extra careful on the warmups and form, squats ok - added the 10lbs, deadlifts ok - added the 10lbs. On every lift I imagined Rip saying "drag" the bar... that really helped.
    Today's Monday and I feel fine w/o any ibuprofen...

On my squats I am not very flexible, I've been trying to hold the bar as narrow as I can, but that puts my wrists back more (I'm not putting any weight on them), and I can't grip the bar much so it "rolls" a tiny bit which is distracting. So now I grip as wide as I need (full width now) and can grip the bar better, no moving which feels much more confident. I'll work on my flexibility per the SS video I watched.

Summary
    Sun 2-28-21
    Body 209.4
    Fat 28.2
    Squat 115
    Press 55
    Deadlift 135 (drag the bar...)
    Hill climb 35:36

starting strength coach development program
    Good for you. You took my grumpy advice well.

Drag the bar is still something I forget even though deadlift is my favorite lift.

I would be better off if I weighed a bit less. I try the diets but what I must do is more walking. At 5'9.5" I should weigh about 215 not 225. If my belly didn't look at me so much I would probably not care. So, you are reminding this old guy of some things I need to work on more.

If you ever get to SE Michigan stop in and see us at Sully's gym, Greysteel.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast