Thread: 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    certainly rest between sets, but not during

Thanks Bingley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    Wow, I’m at 1:30 on squats, 2:30 on deadlifts. And that’s way faster than before.
    Yup, I’ve been asking myself if I really needed all that breathing. I shouldn’t really “need” to catch by breath. After all, I can run/walk 5k...

That's why you need to consult a coach. Coach Jonathon Sullivan specializes in work with older adults. Why not buy a few session with him online and work out some of these bugs?

Default 60 yr old Day One

Thanks Carson. I haven’t ruled that out. I actually have relatives in Texas and so might do a SS seminar next time I go down.
    Keep in mind some of this is musing to my future self. So it may sound worse than it is.
    For example, today was my first try at power cleans. You should’ve seen my hopping, practicing slow motion. Just seeing how high I can jump empty handed. (About 8 inches). I even managed to snag some precious cargo a couple times. All to “clean” the bar about to my belly button.
    So that I did send off for a private review.

Your and others comments are always welcome. Just remember, some of this is “dear diary” stuff...

Today I put 10lbs more on my squat, glad I did. I’d been thinking I couldn’t do 10lbs jumps anymore. But I did.
    My flexibility is getting better, such that I can almost unrack in low bar. But I can’t keep it down there yet, it slides up to high bar when I do the butt up thing. Which is pretty annoying. So I do my best and put up with that during warmups, working to keep the bar down. Then for my work sets, I still do high bar to avoid drama at full weight.

By the way, even though I’m 60, I’ve never lifted. So each and every work set where I add weight is a lifetime PR. I kinda like that.

Summary
    Thu 3-25-21
    Body 216.2
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 155
    Bench 120
    Clean 0.0 (lots of humorous hopping)
    Pull-ups 3x10 (drag downs)
    Hill climb 35 min (felt easier, maybe my squat legs are kicking in)

Last edited by Richard Durbin; 03-27-2021 at 10:32 PM.

i never lifted until i was 50, and it has been great since. keep it up!

Thanks Bingley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    ...no ibuprofen to see how I really felt...
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    lol
    Funny right. I don’t want to start a workout “numb”, how would I know if I overdid it.
    Now I have had my knee say hello, and took an ibuprofen between sets and carried on. To get a jump on the swelling.
    And maybe another at bedtime so I can get some good rest.

Default 60 yr old Day One

Well today was a good news, bad news, good news day...

Started with squats, 10lbs more. Didn’t think I could, but I did.

Then went to press, last time was 80 x4,4,3,3,1. So I thought, maybe I’ve still got 5lbs more in me. Got 85x4, rats, got 82.5x4, double rats, got 80x4, sigh, did 80x3 to close my 15.
    Ok,ok. Lesson 1, last time at 4,4,3,3,1 was easier than 5,5,5. So I should’ve done 80 at 3x5 this time to reestablish where I’m at.
    And yes, it really does seem I better use 2.5lbs jumps for my press now.

And then I went to deadlift, last time I did 210x5, which was after 210x2, 205x3 from the time before. So I wanted to see if my 10lbs deadlift jumps were really over. So I warmed up and loaded 220... didn’t even break it off the ground. Well ok, took 5lbs off, tried again, got about 5 inches. Hmm, took a moment, tried again, something under an inch.
    Ok, ok, took another 5lbs off, but honestly felt spent. Sometimes I have to remind my self, I don’t want to grunt more, I want more grunt. So live to deadlift another day.

Chin-ups, nope, not even gunna. Called it a day.

I’m pretty sure the above is a textbook example of Rip’s 2nd Question.

So yes, press at 2.5 increments, and deadlift at 5.
    And honestly, I’m thinking of preemptively dropping my squats to 5lbs increments too. I’m so proud of my 10lbs jumps, but I’m really spent after, and I think that is hampering my deadlifts. But then maybe next time or the next I won’t be able to do 3x5 with a 10lbs jump, and that will be the time to drop to 5s...

Finally, I got some really good feedback on my power clean, what I sent in was so so bad I was worried they might just reply “wow” and give me a refund.
    But no, looks like I need to keep at it, with lots of info they provided. Eventually it will “click”. They suggested I keep my deadlifts in A and B workouts and practice a few power cleans before or after my deadlifts. That way I’m practicing 3 times a week until they “click”.
    I’ve got some big 10lbs bumper plates, so I can try a couple sets of 65lbs cleans at the beginning of my deadlift warmups.
    Which ended the day on an up note.

Summary
    Sat 3-27-21
    Body 215.2
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 165
    Press 85x4, 82.5x4, 80x4, 80x3
    Deadlift nope
    Chin-ups nada
    Hill climb nyet

Last edited by Richard Durbin; 03-28-2021 at 07:00 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats, loaded 170, just 5 more than Saturday, had to dump it coming up about 1/4 way on the 1st rep. Ok Saturday took more out of me than I thought.
    Unloaded to 155, walked the bar back up the rack and did a set of 5. It was hard, every bit as hard as the 165 on Saturday. Did 2 more sets of 5. I was spent. Took an ibuprofen.

After breakfast benched 125, only got 4 on the first set. So I unloaded to 120, my last successful bench, and did 2x5. Next bench I’ll do a clean 120 at 3x5 and then increase 2.5 jumps for future.

Deadlift I didn’t even try.

It’s interesting that I slammed into my limit on 10 jumps for deadlifts and squats, my limit on 5 jumps for press and bench all within a few workouts of each other.

I’m going to keep my squat at 155 and deload my deadlifts to 190 next time and see how I hold up.

My bumper plates finally came, I’ll return my buddies 25s and 45s tomorrow.

Summary
    Tue 3-30-21
    Body 218.4
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 155
    Bench 125x4, 120 at 2x5
    Deadlift skipped
    Pull-ups skipped
    Hill climb skipped

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast