starting strength gym
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

Default 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Another good workout.

Doing pre-squat stretching, two workouts now. I’m hopeful this will add up.

My press only got 5,4,4 with the last rep going up while my legs quaked like a newborn wildebeest, which was new. I’ll have to focus a bit more on locking my knees on hard reps.

Deadlift, my thumbs were happy in hook grip this time. I’ll reflect on what was different this time from last.

Summary
    Tue 4-27-21
    Body 215.1
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 175 (w/mobility sets)
    Press 92.5x5,4,4
    Deadlift 210
    Pull-ups 3x10 (drag downs)
    Hill climb, nope. I need to decide how to get these in. Maybe off days, maybe weekend only...

Not sure what to call Thursday. A skipped workout, or a failed one. I’m going to log it here to remember what and maybe why.

Wednesday I got my second COVID shot. That night I didn’t sleep too good, but not bad. Just restless, kept dreaming I was missing a meeting. (I hate dreaming about work, why not vacation?)

Thursday woke up feeling ok, not bad, but just ok. Maybe a bit tired. So before lunch I headed to the porch and started warming up my squats with mobility stretching. Work set was slated for 180, just 5 more than Tuesday. The last warmup of 150 felt heavier than I expected. Whatever, I rested and loaded 180. First rep, heavy but ok, maybe fomented doubt. Second rep I leaned over too much coming up, had to dump it. I did dump it very nicely, just sat back down. So that’s nice.

So I thought about what to do. Try again, deload 5 pounds, skip squats and proceed with bench and deadlift?
    Call it a miss and workout Friday?

Decided to see how I felt Friday, today I feel better but still a little tired, kinda like the day before catching a cold. So I’ll workout Saturday and call Thursday a bad, one rep day. Like a single heavy.

At least I know I can do 180, which will help my frame of mind Saturday.

Summary
    Thu 4-29-21
    Body 217.3
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 180, just one rep
    Bench, skipped
    Deadlift, skipped
    Pull-ups, skipped
    Hill climb, skipped

Some days just be that way. I've sure had the same thing happen. As for the work dreams, I've been retired for quite some time and still have them. On my job I had to account for 8hrs of labor. In my dream it's the end of the day and I have nothing to put on my time sheet.Then I realize I don't work there any more.This is a common dream for me.

Default 60 yr old Day One

OMG, that’s a horrible nightmare!

Thanks Jerry, I’m looking forward to a proper workout tomorrow.
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 04-30-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Like Jerry said, some days just be that way. A mulligan is a great way to look at it.

And like Jerry, I've been retired for quite a while now. And I still have those nightmares, and it's always administrivia that gets me, not anything that was interesting or entertaining.

A mulligan, I like that! Thanks Bill.

My normal wake me up nightmares are one of two.
    It’s time to graduate college, but I just realized I forgot to attend one class all semester...
    I’m smoking and agonizing that I just ruined 30 years of quitting...

Saturday was a good workout.

Squatted that 180 3x5. I gotta watch my depth. On the video it shows how easy it is to get sneaky on the depth as the weight goes up.
    Also I’ve started doing this stretch before and after each warmup set, in my continued quest for low bar. I think it’s helping, I can feal it the next day - so it’s doing something.

Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube

Bench got a full 3x5 at 132.5
    Turns out I had been touching my chest too low, which was making it harder.

Pull-ups, I was doing my drag downs and decided to try a hold. My bar is low, so standing puts my forearms vertical and my upper arms horizontal. If I pull hard, I can get my feet up for a “5 count”. I’ll call these 90 deg holds. I’m going to move to these as an improvement over drag downs. (I don’t dare hang with my arms straight up yet)

Summary
    Sat 5-1-21
    Body 216.4
    Fat 28.4
    Squat 180
    Bench 132.5
    Deadlift 215
    Pull-ups 1x10, 1x7 drag downs. 1x5 holds 90 deg for 5 count.
    Hill climb. No but I did mow the yard

PS. It’s Sunday morning and I’m kinda sore. Good sore, but chest, shoulders more than usual. Don’t know why, the PRs being back, the pull-up holds, skipping Thursday? Just noting for reference.

Still loving the ibuprofen free life.

That's the way to recover from a mulligan!

I'll be the outlier here and cheer you on for your "ibuprofen free life." I used to chew that stuff like candy in my 20s & 30s, because that's what the military docs gave us for everything. Then one day I wondered what it was doing to my body, so I quit taking it (and any other NSAIDS, pain relievers, etc.) unless it's really, really necessary. I mean really, really necessary. And once you don't take it out of habit, you realize that most of the time, it just isn't necessary. And that's my experience through the next couple of decades of ultra-marathon racing, long distance (thousands of miles) hiking, and this lifting life, is that it's mostly not necessary. Other people's mileage may vary, of course, as my wife reminds me that I'm pretty much a freak when I just deal with and work through the standard aches and pains.

Keep at it!

Thanks Bill.
    Yes I prefer to avoid if I can tough it out.

starting strength coach development program
    Another good workout.

Squats, still need to watch my depth. And for my high bar squats, there seems to be a narrow sweet spot of just a tiny bit of butt up first. Too much and the bar moves over my toes and I’ve got a real grind. Zero and it feels like a quads only effort, a worse grind. Still doing my stretches and dreaming of low bar.

Press, I’m doing 1.0 and there’s a knack to the elbows front, bounce, close to nose thing that still needs work. Got my proper 3x5 this time.

Last bench, and this press, I’ve gotten the grip just a tiny bit off and made my left little finger go all tinglely, a real distraction.

Deadlift I started getting peck cramps on the third rep, kept at it. But wow, those took a while to fade. Luckily I got my first one some time back on the right, so I knew what it was. If it had been on the left, would’ve scared me to death.
    I get these when I struggle to keep the bar dragging my legs. I blame weak lats, I still can’t do a single pull-up. I’ll keep at those.

Took the hill climb with my wife, a nice treat. Climbing back up seems quite a bit easier. Maybe bigger leg muscles? Maybe the HIIT of squatting? Maybe both? Anyway I wasn’t huffing and puffing as much and my pulse was lower at the top. Nice.

Summary
    Tue 5-4-21
    Body 217.3
    Fat 28.4
    Squat 185
    Press 92.5
    Deadlift 220 (aka 1xbw)
    Pull-ups, skipped. I didn’t want to flirt with more peck cramps today.
    Hill climb, yes

Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast