starting strength gym
Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have had a post disappear a few times, seems to happen when I write something long. Maybe it was for the best
    I hope the shoulder is ok. I have had a few issues over the years. The Motrin dose of 4 200mg seems to help. I also have driven to work with an ice pack on my shoulder plenty of times.

Thanks Jerry, yup sometimes my posts turn into missives.

Second night in the recliner has helped quite a bit. Such that I’m noticing my regular aches and pains again, always a good sign.

I spent many a night in the recliner after the surgery, pretty darn comfortable, really

Yes it is. Thanks Bingley

Today is one week from my “rib thing”. Down to one ibuprofen at bedtime.
    Still sleeping in the recliner. Mostly now because I’m a side sleeper and the recliner keeps me off my sides.
    I feel quite a bit better, no more t-rex arms. I can do regular stuff, but still wary of any weight held in front.

I’ve had time to reflect and think I know what I did... my previous press workout I switched from breathe at the bottom to breathe at the top and “bounce” at the bottom and did my 3x5 with 92.5 but even though this was my press work set, the bounce at the bottom was brand new. Meaning the part of me “bouncing” had never had a chance to work up to this weight. The Blue Book warns about this, new form/movement is new risk even if the exercise is the same.

Or then again I may have done something dragging the lawn mower one handed...

I’m starting light weight lifts this week just to do something while being extra careful to “listen” to my rib or whatever it is.

Summary
    Mon 5-17-21
    Body 217.9
    Fat 29.8
    Press 5lbs 1x25, 10lbs 2x25
    Did these with a 2.5 plate in each hand, then a 5 in each hand. Too scared to try 10s. Next time.

Default 60 yr old Day One

Summary
    Tue 5-18-21
    “Praying” Squats 5x5
    Low bar stretching x5 (gingerly, got broom stick to the top of my t-shirt collar)
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 05-24-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Summary
    Wed 5-19-21
    Knee pushups 3x7
    Too afraid to lie on my back with weights yet. Next time
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 05-24-2021 at 10:30 AM.

So it’s not severe enough to go to a dr. But you’re too afraid to train? My experience has been One of two things will happen: you can do SOME training (although maybe lighter) and you discover pain doesn’t nec mean something is “broken” , requiring immobility... or you’ll have to stop. Sometimes training makes me better. Ymmv, you’re the only one who feels what you feel.

You’re quite right Deb. The trick is learning which things to train through, and which to respect. This one tricked me, was training through it, not that bad. Lower back has hurt worse. Then “pop”, “crack” or something it hurt real good.
    But after a night in the recliner it was less bad, and then the next, and so on.
    So no Dr visit. But yes once bitten twice shy. I will sneak back up on this one then on to more PRs.

Today marks month three on my training.
    All the prior benefits are still good. Plus a couple more.
    My lower back pain is gone. Gone. Even first thing in the morning. Sure I’m still old and stiff as I hobble to take the dog out. But no pain as I stoop down to leash him. I used to make him jump up and meet me half way.
    Also I’ve taken BP meds since 40. Side effect is dizziness upon standing up from a prolonged crouch. Like tying kids shoes or lighting a fire. And I get this at the top of my squats sometimes and just take an extra breath or two while it passes. But, but now I never get it on anything but my heavy (to me) work sets. Nothing on warmups or, really cool, in daily life.

So even though I tweaked a rib (my best guess) and shuffled around t-rexing my coffee because it hurt otherwise, I was still living all the benefits of being just a tiny bit stronger.

Last month’s summary
    Body 217.2
    Fat 29.2
    Squat 160
    Bench 130
    Press 87.5
    Deadlift 190

This month’s summary
    Body 217.9
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 195, just the one rep
    Bench 135
    Press 92.5
    Deadlift 225

For today
    Thu 5-20-21
    Deadlift 65 at 1x25
    As I suspected these did not bother the rib.
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 05-24-2021 at 10:31 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    Today marks month three on my training.
    All the prior benefits are still good. Plus a couple more.
    My lower back pain is gone. Gone. Even first thing in the morning. Sure I’m still old and stiff as I hobble to take the dog out. But no pain as I stoop down to leash him. I used to make him jump up and meet me half way.
    Also I’ve taken BP meds since 40. Side effect is dizziness upon standing up from a prolonged crouch. Like tying kids shoes or lighting a fire. And I get this at the top of my squats sometimes and just take an extra breath or two while it passes. But, but now I never get it on anything but my heavy (to me) work sets. Nothing on warmups or, really cool, in daily life.

So even though I tweaked a rib (my best guess) and shuffled around t-rexing my coffee because it hurt otherwise, I was still living all the benefits of being just a tiny bit stronger.
    There sure is quite a bit of good news packed in there, Richard, especially the last sentence. Especially that. Although the BP section was pretty awesome too!

Keep at it!

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast