starting strength gym
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

Default 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good workout day

Low bar squats continue, my hands are way wide and my wrists pretty bent, but I keep Horn stretching and am slowly getting better (pretty sure).

Note to self, after second and third sets of squats, I could feel a hint of that “rib” pain. Just a hint, like - oh yeah, that’s where that was. Also I’ve got some “creaking and clunking” in the same area as well as my shoulders, but I’m going to attribute that to the Horn stretching. This is for future reference…

Also my squats are close to 85%, so I’ve dropped them to 5lb jump. As well as my press to 2.5lb jumps.

I’ll post the squats for a forum form check

Summary
    Tue 6-8-21
    Body 218.6
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 155
    Press 75
    Deadlift 175
    Chin-ups 3x11 w/rubber band on hole 5
    Hill climb, did one Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 06-10-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Good workout

(Little twinges in the rib area, just for future reference, mostly after squat work sets)

Chin-ups were 10,10,9 today - down from 3x11. Hmmm is that due to one less day recovery, or me weighing a pound more today… maybe Saturday will tell.

Dropped deadlifts to 5lb jumps as next time will be 85%.

Summary
    Thu 6-10-21
    Body 219.6
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 160
    Bench 85
    Deadlift 185
    Chin-ups 10,10,9 w/rubber band on hole 5
    Hill climb, pass

is it lower ribs? I know that a few years ago when wearing my belt in the slightly wrong and too high spot i bruised my lower ribs on squats. that wasn't fun

I’m really fine now.
    It was something up higher, like just under my shoulder blade. I really don’t know what it was, I didn’t seek medical help because it got better pretty quick.
    I only note it in my log now to keep an eye on if it starts coming back.

When I got my belt, 4 inch, I did tweak a lower rib doing squats or deadlifts. But not so bad that I couldn’t train through it. That slowly got better, whew.

Chin-ups went 3x12 today. I don’t think it was my body weight or rest last time. I think what mattered was how quickly I did the chin. After all I’m standing on a giant rubber band. Next is hole 4.

Summary
    Sat 6-12-21
    Body 219.5
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 165
    Press 77.5
    Deadlift 190
    Chin-ups 3x12 w/rubber band on hole 5
    Hill climb. Nope
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 07-05-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Well I’m getting a taste of what everyone else deals with. I’ve been working from home, working out between meetings.
    This week I’m back in the office all week.
    Worked 7 to 6, got home at 6:30 went straight to workout. With all my stretching and resting, dragging weights outside and back, finished up at 9. Yikes. Then ate dinner.
    Maybe I’ll do some before work and some after. Buy an extra bar and do the next exercise warmups during the first’s work set.

My hats off to everyone, I gotta get with it…

After Saturday’s workout, I mowed and weedeated. This made my rib thing ache enough to save some yard for later. I take this as good news, sure I’m not a 100% yet, but it seems my workouts are not aggravating it much. And I got a taste of what level of ache to keep an eye out for.

Oh and my squat depth is a never ending battle, skipped filming all but the last set, sure enough, it crept up an inch high. Sigh, it ALWAYS feels low…

Summary
    Mon 6-14-21
    Body forgot
    Fat forgot
    Squat 170
    Bench 95
    Deadlift 195
    Chin-ups 10,8,7 w/rubber band on hole 4
    Hill climb nope
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 06-14-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Good workout.

Monday I got my left elbow too “buckled” at the bottom of a bench rep, I think the bar touched above my nipples, and felt a tiny tweak.

Today I could feel it “there” during my low bar squats, felt it lifting the empty bar to the press rack. During last deadlift warmups, and the work set it ached a tiny bit. (Maybe I need to flex my traps and triceps more on deadlift, I may be trying to lift with my biceps some).

Didn’t feel too bad so I did my chins too.
    That made it ache a fair bit.
    But one ibuprofen made it happy again, so per my rule - it can’t be that bad.

Summary
    Thu 6-17
    Body 219.4
    Fat 29.1
    Squat 175
    Press 80
    Deadlift 200
    Chins 10,9,8 w/rubber band on hole 4
    Hill climb nope.

deadlift+biceps=baaad

Thanks Bingley, yes I keep forgetting my old cues as I focus on new ones. Today I remembered "drag the bar" and "bend the bar" for deadlifts. It made a real difference, of course.

And note to self, although lowbar stretching made my left elbow complain, it was a repeat of my elbow too forward/bar above nipple bench that made it tweak a small reminder - right then. So good news my low bar squat quest is not the culprit (yea!), but sloppy bench form that I'll have to watch.
    Having done lowbar squats, even with hands way wide and wrists pretty bent, I never want to go back to high bar. This is so much better.

Today marks month four on my training.
    All the prior benefits are still good. There was something more, but I can't remember what it was. So easy to get used to the new normal...

My tweaked rib (or whatever) put me sleeping in the recliner this month. Silver lining, I noticed I was sleeping sounder on my back in the recliner than I used to on my side in the bed. I was not waking every hour or two to turn sides. So I got a giant wedge pillow from Costco and now I sleep sounder in bed than I have in years. Ha, what a way to figure that out.

As I come back from my total reset, it sure is nice to drive past my prior crashes. I'm sure I'll have new ones, but it does put them in perspective.

Back in February when I first started, I weighed 208, now I weigh 220 without getting much, if any, fatter. So I guess I'm "doing the program" slooowly.

Last month’s summary
    Body 217.9
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 195, just the one rep
    Bench 135
    Press 92.5
    Deadlift 225

This month's summary
    Sat 6-19-21
    Body 220.5
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 180
    Press 80 (prior workout)
    Bench 100
    Deadlift 205
    Chins 3x10 w/rubber band on hole 4

I'm going to stop doing the hill climb (surprise).
    Now that I'm phasing back into the office, riding my bike to work 2 or 3 times a week will be my "sport".
    It's 3.6 miles and 213 ft climb, my prior best time was 21:17 December of 2019, I'm curious to see how I do detrained since then, but with stronger legs from squats and deadlifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    Thanks Bingley, yes I keep forgetting my old cues as I focus on new ones. Today I remembered "drag the bar" and "bend the bar" for deadlifts. It made a real difference, of course.

Now that I'm phasing back into the office, riding my bike to work 2 or 3 times a week will be my "sport".
    It's 3.6 miles and 213 ft climb, my prior best time was 21:17 December of 2019, I'm curious to see how I do detrained since then, but with stronger legs from squats and deadlifts.
    Great work, Richard!

You'll find that forgetting older cues will frequently happen. I write them in both my notebook log and my electronic log, in large letters, and still manage to skim over or forget some from time to time. A white board in the workout area helps.

Good on ya for getting on that bike. That was one thing that helped me keep my sanity during my last years in the military. I had a 12+ mile commute (one way) that sometimes went fast, sometimes went slow, depending on the day that I had (or how warm I needed to stay). My boss asked my wife one day what I came home bitching about and she replied "not a thing. He leaves it all in the forest," which was true.

Keep at it!

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast