starting strength gym
Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 yr old Day One

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Bill, a whiteboard’s a great idea!
    I train outside on the porch and a whiteboard would work well out there.

I love bike riding, feels like a kid again. I ride a fat bike to work for no good reason, other that fun, fun, fun.

I wish I could do a commute like that, but I'm back on the bus 3 days per week (and will be 4 in August) into NY, which has wiped out my Wednesday morning workout, and it's just too hot in the garage when I get home now. I *guess* I could try once again to find a gym around here that would let me fling the iron about, but they are hard to find.

Bingley, actually my ride bike to work started at an old job downtown Seattle. A buddy talked me into riding the train/bus to work to avoid bad traffic.
    I hated driving my diesel truck a mile to the train station (too short to warm it up).
    So I got a small folding bike, a brompton, and rode that, then folded it up on the train/bus.
    I also started riding it on the far end too, to avoid waiting for a 4 mile bus to the office door.

No idea what you face, but maybe you could ride to/from the bus at one end or the other.

I found a safe route to ride using sidewalks and a urban bike path, no way I’m mixing it up with crazy car drivers.

Just a thought.

I only live a couple miles from the bus stop, but those miles are on the Garden State Parkway, and I catch the first bus that leaves at 4:50am, so not prime biking conditions unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    So I got a small folding bike, a brompton
    Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

A couple of decades ago, I spent a week with a group riding throughout the Hill Country of TX. The shortest ride was 105 miles. On the second to last day, a Saturday, a guy who had been kicking our butts all week on a Brompton broke off to do a 400km brevet that was a qualifier for Paris-Brest-Paris. By Sunday, he had finished, then met us all at the end of our long ride, still looking fresh. I was amazed at the capabilities of not just the rider, but the Brompton.

I like my brompton, it folds up real small. Fits under my desk at work, no bigger than a travel bag on the bus. Mine has held up well, I even put studded tires on it for frosty mornings with surprise frost on the road.

But I’m pretty sure I’ve never passed a grownup on a real bike, lol.

Good workout day

Ran out of steam on chins, it was almost bedtime.

Summary
    Tue 6-22-21
    Body 220.3
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 185
    Press 82.5
    Deadlift 210
    Chins 8,9,8 w/rubber band on hole 4

Default 60 yr old Day One

Good workout day, albeit late.

I’ve been worried about dumping a squat. With low bar the bar is higher at the bottom than it was on my neck/traps and the safeties were about 3 inches down. Practice dumping had me really scrunched up. Not something I want to try with full weight. So I set the safeties 4 inches higher (darn 4 inch spacing). This puts me just parallel when the bar clinks the safeties.

So squats today were safe but clunky. The bar clinking throws off my timing at the bottom. I keep saying I’ll get some 6x6 timber to put under my rack. I need to just do that.

Summary
    Thu 6-24-21
    Body 218.5 (I think)
    Fat forgot
    Squat 190
    Bench 105
    Deadlift 215
    Chins, skipped. Hungry and late.
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 07-05-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Good workout day

Did my press first this time. That way I can do my coach Horn stretching during rests and be ready for low bar on my first squat warmup.

Squats still clunky with the safeties one hole up. But I have no fear.
    Went to Home Depot, helped the kid load me a 6x6x8ft treated landscape timber. Asked him to cut it in half. Their saw was broke. I’ll go back with my truck and cut it at home.

Chins, well there’s a knack to the timing on the rubber band. Kind of cheating of course. Which will diminish as I keep lowering it.

Summary
    Sat 6-26-21 (where has the year gone?)
    Body 219.5
    Fat 29.1
    Press 85
    Squat 195
    Deadlift 220
    Chins 9,10,11 w/rubber band on hole 4

It was 80F this morning, I could feel my thumbs slipping in my hook grip. I may have to order some chalk.

Supposed to break 100F this weekend. Seattle folks are coming unglued.

Default 60 yr old Day One

starting strength coach development program
    Good workout day

Maybe I should define that. Any day I get a full or even partial workout done without any tweaks, is awesome because I can always give whatever I had trouble with a go next time. Form, that missed PR, etc.

I put the 6x6 timber’s under my rack. That is working good. All my 4 inch spaced holes are 2 inch higher. My low bar squat rack is not so low, my low bar squat safeties are not too high. My bench safeties are now just below my chest, instead of just above my neck. I can overhead press in the rack.
    My chin-ups will now be “nose ups” because I’ll hit my head on the ceiling. But importantly I can now “hang” from the chin bar standing on the rubber band. This will help my shoulder flexibility as I work the rubber band lower. (No way no how can I hang unsupported yet)

Dumped my 4th squat of the first set. I think doing 190 and 195 above parallel (high safeties) was not good prep for 200 at depth today…

Moving to 2.5 jumps on the bench as I’m at 85% now.

Summary
    Wed 6-30-21
    Body 220.3
    Fat 29.8
    Squat 200, just the 3 reps
    Bench 110
    Deadlift 225
    Nose ups 3x10 w/rubber band on hole 4
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 07-05-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast