starting strength gym
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    I may be misunderstanding, but you mention deadlift "sets". The work set for the deadlift is a single set of 5 reps. Doing more than one deadlift work set may impede recovery.
    There was a single working set. I've rephrased the sentence to avoid further confusion.

Default W07: 22 Mar 2021

Squat: 109kg (239lb)
    Press: 39kg (85lb)
    Deadlift: 113kg (248lb)

In case of squat I clearly felt the weight when I took it off the rack, the step back was heavy. I had some difficulties to in the way up, possibly because a few squats were too deep or the move down was too quick. Clearly this was probably the most challenging squat workout so far but no real drama yet. Press was quite fine, it was heavy but I'm quite satisfied with the form. I still need two more workouts to be sure but I have impression that it eventually has moved forward. Deadlift was like usually unpleasant, I think the bar was too much in front, still back position needs improvement. I started thinking that I may need to increase calories intake a bit but haven't made my mind yet.

Body composition
    Total: 96.4kg (212.1lb) | +0.6kg (+1.3lb)
    Fat: 18.6% 17.9kg (39.4lb) | -0.9kg (-2.0lb)
    Lean: 81.4% 78.5kg (172.7lb) | +1.5kg (+3.3lb)

Default W07: 24 Mar 2021

Squat: 111kg (244lb)
    Bench press: 67kg (147b)
    Deadlift: 115kg (253lb)

Generally I felt a bit tired before the training. Squat felt very heavy, I think it has not been so heavy yet. Form in a couple of reps was compromised and my left hip hurt a bit. If the next session is going to look similarly or worse, I will repeat it. Bench press was better than I expected, I was not really convinced that I would manage 67kg but well it happened. Last rep in each set was la real challenge but still I'm really satisfied especially that my bench is clearly very week at this stage. Deadlift, I think the form was slightly better than the last time. I realized I should stretch my hamstrings to improve my back position and I hope in a couple of weeks it will be better. Reps were really slow and I needed a few seconds after each one. To summarize it was not a dream session but I'm glad that was able to stick to the plan. It is a marathon after all.

You're 100% correct, it's not a marathon it's a slow and steady race!

It's also a fantastic feeling when you remember the weight that you're now using for warmups used to be the heaviest thing you'd ever lifted in you life!

You'll get there before you know it

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Green-Mud-Machine View Post
    You're 100% correct, it's not a marathon it's a slow and steady race!

It's also a fantastic feeling when you remember the weight that you're now using for warmups used to be the heaviest thing you'd ever lifted in you life!

You'll get there before you know it
    Thanks

Default W07: 26 Mar 2021

Squat: 113kg (248lb)
    Press: 40kg (88lb)
    Deadlift: 117kg (257lb)

The whole session was quite interesting. Squat felt very heavy, in case of one or two reps I really thought I was not going to make them. Form was better than the last time. Press was initially not too bad, last reps in each set were most challenging and the last one in the last set was barely completed. If the next pressing session will be successful it will mean symbolic but progress. In case of deadlift I felt tired even during the warmup. I was trying to keep my hips as low as I could. This had a couple of implications. My back was more straight (except last two reps), leg load was bigger so it was really difficult to pull the bar off the floor. I'm going to try repeating the same weight next time to see if the legs are going to adapt to the changed position.

Default W08: 29 Mar 2021

Squat: 115kg (253lb)
    Bench press: 69kg (151b) 5,3,3 failed
    Deadlift: 117kg (257lb) 1 failed

Squat felt heavy like hell but form was not too bad. I had some problems to finish the last rep in the last set but I did it. Bench was not successful fourth rep failed in the second and third rep. It looks like the technique requires work as I noticed the bar gets too far from shoulders in subsequent reps. I have impression that ability to practice it only once or twice a week is not helping here. I will try again the same weight the next time. Deadlift was a complete failure, generally the form seemed quite okay during warm up sets. I pull once in the working set and that was it. My left lat simply hurt and I was not able to move the bar. I will take a brake from deadlift until this heals up.
    Last edited by adm; 03-31-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Default W08: 31 Mar 2021

Squat: 117kg (257lb) 4,4,4 failed
    Press: 41kg (80lb) 4,3,3 failed
    Deadlift: 0kg (0lb) pass
    Generally left side of my back and rib cage still hurt, on the way of investigating what is going on there. Squat was not really affected, felt pretty well during warmup sets but the work sets were super heavy. In each set I failed the last rep, I just couldn't stand up and I was pretty much exhausted. I tried to rest a bit in the standing position between reps but it didn't do much as I felt that even holding that weight is draining energy pretty quickly. Press was pretty odd, the first rep was easy, the second not bad however later was only worse. I was worried about my left side so I was not trying hard and I simply could not finish any of the sets. In case of deadlift I decided to take some time off. I would have not been able to finish even a single rep and I could injure myself even worse. Life goes on.

I think +55kg to the squat within eight weeks is well done! Bench and especially press doesn't seem to have progressed as nicely in proportion. Assuming those body composition numbers were measured with somewhat accurate device and conditions (time of day, before meal/training) -> eat more. And consider starting to power clean as DL alternative every 2nd time.

Also, ruling out the weight deviations in plates might be sometimes reasonable. My gym does not have proper calibrated plates and did a measurement round a while ago. 10kg's and below, all somewhat correct. However, lightest 15kg was 14.5, heaviest 15.6, all 20kg's were 19.4-19.9, all 25kg's were 25.2-25.8 O_O.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW-Fahrer View Post
    I think +55kg to the squat within eight weeks is well done! Bench and especially press doesn't seem to have progressed as nicely in proportion.
    I would not say it was +55kg to the squat as this initial weight felt light when the final one felt very heavy but still squat progressed significantly. In case of press to be honest I think it has almost not progressed at all. The bench seems to cause troubles as well.

Assuming those body composition numbers were measured with somewhat accurate device and conditions (time of day, before meal/training) -> eat more.
    Those measurements were collected using a commercial scale. Hard to say how accurate it is but the time of the day and meals before were similar. I'm careful with the amount of food. A year ago my weight was close to 130kg and it required a lot of effort to get where I am. Regardless of that I increased amount of food since the last measurement.

And consider starting to power clean as DL alternative every 2nd time.
    The plan was to do this when I pass 120kg on deadlift but well first I need to get back to DL at all. Also I'm not entirely sure how PC is going to be like as I'm training home but maybe it won't be too bad.

Also, ruling out the weight deviations in plates might be sometimes reasonable. My gym does not have proper calibrated plates and did a measurement round a while ago. 10kg's and below, all somewhat correct. However, lightest 15kg was 14.5, heaviest 15.6, all 20kg's were 19.4-19.9, all 25kg's were 25.2-25.8 O_O.
    I'm training home and the plates have weight deviations but not so bit like in case of your gym. I'm using same plates most of the time and I jump less than 5lb or 2.5lb so I hope this won't be such a big deal.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast