Thread: Road to novice

Default W11: 21 Apr 2021

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat: 109kg (239lb) light
    Bench press: 71kg (156lb)
    Deadlift: 0kg (0lb) pass

Squat felt really awkwardly, my hips hurt starting at the first rep of the first warmup set. Form didn't look especially badly but I had all the time impression I was doing something wrong way. I simple didn't feel it. Eventually I had a headache after squatting but it has gone in 10 minutes after. It is good it was a light day and I hope it will get back to normal the next time. Bench press was hard, felt heavy and the last rep in the 2nd and 3rd set was barely completed. Anyhow done is done and I will take it. Deadlift is on hold. I did 3 sets of 10 reps with 62kg for form practice. I definitely not happy with the form here but I believe over time it will be better.

You are hurting. I feel you. Don't give up. It will heal.
    I once hurt my left glute while doing a heavy deadlift work set.
    i walked funny for a week.
    I did glute bridge everyday painfully for i think 20 reps a day.
    i still do deadlift but only with an empty bar...barely.
    for lats, try this yoga pose. :-)
    Yoga_for-_beginners_9785-copy.jpg
    hope it helps.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Squat: 115kg (253lb)
    Bench press: 69kg (151b) 5,3,3 failed
    Deadlift: 117kg (257lb) 1 failed

Squat felt heavy like hell but form was not too bad. I had some problems to finish the last rep in the last set but I did it. Bench was not successful fourth rep failed in the second and third rep. It looks like the technique requires work as I noticed the bar gets too far from shoulders in subsequent reps. I have impression that ability to practice it only once or twice a week is not helping here. I will try again the same weight the next time. Deadlift was a complete failure, generally the form seemed quite okay during warm up sets. I pull once in the working set and that was it. My left lat simply hurt and I was not able to move the bar. I will take a brake from deadlift until this heals up.

Quote Originally Posted by good_boy View Post
    You are hurting. I feel you. Don't give up. It will heal.
    I once hurt my left glute while doing a heavy deadlift work set.
    i walked funny for a week.
    I did glute bridge everyday painfully for i think 20 reps a day.
    i still do deadlift but only with an empty bar...barely.
    for lats, try this yoga pose. :-)
    Yoga_for-_beginners_9785-copy.jpg
    hope it helps.

cheers.
    Thanks a lot. I will get back to deadlift in a while, the pain has almost gone and I hope it won't return. It seems it has more to deal with curvature of my spine and sitting work but I believe with a bit of rehab it will be okay. Anyway I see you are doing well. I hope your glute is better now.

Best luck!

Default W11: 23 Apr 2021

Squat: 129kg (283lb)
    Press: 41kg (90lb)

Squat generally felt much better this but however work sets were very heavy. Breathing was fine, grip not too bad however it was really difficult. Form was not impressive barbell in case of many reps was going back on the way up. I may repeat this weight the next time to feel a bit more confident before increasing it. Press, well, I was shaking when finishing the last rep of the last set but done is done. Yep I'm happy with that. Deadlift still on hold but a bit exercising done, this time 3 sets of 8 reps with 67kg.

Body composition
    current previous diff. total diff.
    Total: 101.1kg (222.4lb) +4.7kg (+10.3lb) +5.3kg (+11.6lb)
    Fat: 20.0% 20.2kg (44.4lb) +2.3kg (+5.0lb) +1.4kg (+3.1lb)
    Lean: 80.0% 80.9kg (178.0lb) +2.4kg (+5.3lb) +3.9kg (+8.6lb)
    Last edited by adm; 04-23-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Default W12: 26 Apr 2021

Squat: 131kg (288lb) 2,4,3 failed
    Bench press: 72kg (158lb) 5,5,4 failed

I was thinking about squatting 129kg again as last time it felt really heavy but I managed to improve my grip and warmup sets felt light so that I decided to go for 131kg. Would it change much here if did not, not sure most likely 129kg would fail as well. Maybe this was not the day or the change in the grip moved the bar up on my back. Before it was too low and putting too much pressure on my wrists and elbows. Today's grip felt easy to hold. I think the side effect was such that balance moved forward and at the bottom I was out of balance and not able to finish reps. Anyhow not a big deal I guess, next time I will try 129kg and if it don't work I will deload a bit to get used to the higher bar position. I completed the missing reps with extra sets 1,1,2,0,1,1 so mainly singles, which shows there was no much more in the tank this time. Bench was quite close, maybe if I rested a minute longer before the 3rd set it would go or maybe not. Still I'm quite happy with it as I felt stronger than the last time. I completed missing reps with an extra set of 4. Deadlift still in sandpit mode, today 3 sets of 6 reps with 72kg. I must admit I went a bit out of breath this time.

Default W12: 28 Apr 2021

Squat: 129kg (283lb) 3,0,0 failed
    Press: 42kg (92lb)

Warm up sets felt relatively heavy, I tried 129kg but the fourth rep failed. I tried another set but I failed immediately. Hy hips hurt like hell. I ended up with 3 sets of 109kg with was manageable. Maybe some stance manipulation and more hip mobility work will help. Press was difficult the very last rep was absolutely challenging and the form was slightly compromised but generally I'm happy with that. Deadlift this time I did 2 sets of 6 with 82kg. I'm not satisfied at all. I have impression that getting the back straight is more difficult than the lift itself. This week clearly has not been going well.

Default W12: 30 Apr 2021

Squat: 113kg (248lb)
    Bench press: 72kg (158lb)

In case of squat my hips did hurt, especially the left one. I introduced a couple of changes here, the stance got wider and the depth has decreased. I want to see how it works over some time. I effectively deloaded as my hips need time to recover and I feel weaker with those changes so it will take a while to build up again. Interestingly today's squatting was more difficult than I thought. The grip seemed to be better and the bar control on the back as well. If those changes are not going to work over time I will try something else. Bench press felt good, still really heavy but this time I managed to complete 3x5. There seems to be massive difference in difficulty between the first and the last rep. Deadlift ... yeah not yet but getting back, the same as the last time practice 2x6@82kg. I tried really hard to keep the proper form, not really happy yet but it was better than previously. In general it seems to be the best session this week.

Default W13: 03 May 2021

Squat: 115kg (253lb)
    Press: 43kg (94lb)

Squat felt better than previously, my hip pain has decreased over the weekend, and it was relatively easy. Press was not perfect but completed all the sets (the last rep of the first caused the most trouble). Considering the fact that I was stuck at 40kg for a couple of weeks, the current progress feels great. Deadlift technically still not back on track yet. Today it was a set of 6 reps with 92kg. Form seemed not too bad. Overall I'm happy with this session.

Default W13: 05 May 2021

Squat: 117kg (257lb)
    Bench press: 73kg (160lb)
    Deadlift: 97kg (213lb)

Moved step a head with the squat. My hip seems to be getting better so far but we will see how it goes when the weight goes up. I still need to work on form so at least there is opportunity. Bench press was challenging, the 5th reps in each set was rather difficult but generally not too bad. I restarted my deadlift. My back still feels rather stiff but it is not painful so we will see how it goes. The weight was more challenging than I expected but maybe it won't be so bad. To summarize squat and deadlift require a bit of time to build up again. Upper body seems to slowly go up and I hope it won't stop any time soon.

Default W13: 07 May 2021

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 119kg (261lb)
    Press: 44kg (96lb)
    Deadlift: 100kg (220lb)

Squat felt quite heavy this time. In case of some reps my back angle is too acute, I need to work on that. Press was similar to the previous pressing session, last reps were difficult but manageable. Deadlift, I will try to add 3kg for a moment. It felt visibly heavier than previously. Looking forward till next week.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast