starting strength gym

Thread: SFB Training Log

Default SFB Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a male, 44, 5'9" about 160 lbs. I've spent the last 6 months at a gym doing group classes. It basically amounted to be a short warmup, 20 minutes of lifting (squat, bench or deadlift), another 10 minutes or so of other weight lifting/bodybuilding, and then about 20 minutes of high intensity cardio. While my cardio or work capacity has gone up some, my strength has not. So, I'm trying something new. I want to get strong and I'm nowhere close.

My starting weights (on 8/28/23) for 3 sets of 5 were:

Squat: 165
    Bench: 125
    Deadlift: 185
    Press: 75
    Last edited by SFB; 09-01-2023 at 06:26 PM.

That's a good start. The key will be to be very true to the program (no extra vanity lifts), then stick with it and be consistent.

Hopefully you already have the Blue Book. Get that and study it like the textbook it is. Then Barbell Prescription. Both of those will get into the weeds on your programming for the next 6-12 months. Practical Programming is excellent, too, and you should add that to the library for more clarification, then guidelines on building a program once you're strong.

Ask questions when you have them. We're here to help you succeed.

Keep at it!

Get some Starting Strength coaching. It will be very valuable for your progress. In-person is best but there are online opportunities as well. Eat well. Eat 1 gram of protein per day for every pound of weight you hope to be. I.e. if your goal in 190 lbs. eat 190 grams of protein per day.

Unfortunately, there are no Starting Strength gyms nearby (or in my state). I've thought about doing one of the online options.

End of week 1 lifts:
    Bodyweight: 162lbs

Squat: 180 - Felt heavy on the back today, but was able to grind through the reps okay. Went up by 10# after first day, but will continue with 5s.
    Bench: 125
    Deadlift: 205 - Had no issues moving the weight, will continue going up by 10s
    Press: 80

End of week 2:
    Body weight: 164lbs

Squat: 195 -- Hard.
    Bench: 135
    Deadlift: 225 -- I only got 2 reps with 235 today. My form is really quite poor, but I'm working on it. I might just go up 5# for the next session, and see how it goes. Alternatively, I could drop the weight and really focus on having better form. After only two weeks, I'm not sure if I should go to phase 2 and add the power clean.
    Press: 85 -- This was really hard to complete. I'm going to try 90# next, but depending on how that goes, I might switch to 2# increments.