starting strength gym
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I Am Doing The Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good evening Raymond!

Ive read through all 4 pages of this blog once more, and you seem to have some very impressive strength going on!
    I also see that you have been lifting for 8 years, witch reminds me that you are not new to this game.

The resets for the lifts can be a good thing. For the squat and deadlift I think you may have gone to low in weights.. and will detrain in that sense.
    If you find yourself in the need for a reset once more, I think you should do some adjustments on the programming. Do you have the grey book? Practical programming?

But first, you need to rest more than 4 minutes on the squat! You are pushing 150kg!! try 5-10 minutes!
    You need to try to finish your sets. Dont brake them up into minor chunks if you don't have to. Rest enough, and try some more.

You have some options for the squat for example. If you find yourself feeling the lifting takes a toll- introduce the light Wednesday. Only add weight on Monday and Friday.
    After that, you can add weight for only the first set of fives, and take some backoff sets in round 2 and 3. You only increase your 5RM for the first set.
    You can also go for 3x3 when it really gets heavy, and start to train "1 on, 2 off"- training on Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday, Friday...etc this will give you two days off training.

I also noticed you probably are doing the deadlift a bit too often, or am I wrong?? Try alternate with the power clean from now on.
    Your press is impressive, your bench also. Try 3x3 or 5 for singles. When you still fail on the reps after trying these... you need to program as an intermediate lifter. I can recommend the grey book

Remember... I'm a novice! you lift heavier weights than me, but I just wanted to give my tips, since Ive read a lot Keep on lifting!!

what's up asali!
    i might be lifting for 8 years but i am still a novice! :-)
    this is the first time ever i am doing the NLP with no modification or whatsoever, just simply follow the blue book.
    my technique and form are initially s***t, but after several technique post and critiques, and doing the re-read of the blue book, i think i getting there, i think. u know what i mean.

for squats, this is what i did so far:
    narrow my stance,
    learning to properly grip the bar, so it doesn't slip all the time
    proper bar placement,
    learning lumbar extension: can u believe this? i have lifting for 8 years and not doing the lumbar extension. :-)
    learn how to tighten the upper back.

for press and bench press, i doing this:
    Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck - YouTube

and this is gold!!!!

for deadlift, i re-read the book,
    reset my working weight
    learn how to do lumbar extension
    do the 5 steps

and for power clean, i am holding that off for a while, until i got the deadlift done right.
    and fortunately since i have been eating well, got a great chef for a wife that loves me and i have sleeping 8 hours daily, deadlift 2 times a week is kind of managable for now.

anyway, thank's for reading my post and nice tips! i am noting those down.

cheers!
    raymond

Monday
    10-May-2021

I got a new bar: a used Again Faster Team Barbell 3.0 20kg. And it feels great, way better than what I have using now.
    And also I got a pair of used 25kg bumpers plates. Those things are huge. Definately bigger than my current plates.

Anyway, SQUAT
    115kg 3x5

Press
    80kg 15 Reps!!!

Deadlift
    125kg x 5

Cheers,
    Raymond

Thursday, 13th of May 2021.
    What a beautiful day, the sun is shining, it is a national holiday day. And away I go for a morning training and here it is:

Squat
    117.5kg 3x5

Bench
    102.5kg x3
    102.5kg x2
    102.5kg x2
    102.5kg x2
    102.5kg x2
    102.5kg x2
    102.5kg x1
    102.5kg x1
    Yeay!

Deadlift
    125kg x5 --> oh wait...this was my previous training weight. I should have add a 2.5kg. Note to self: Remember to add 2.5kg :-)

Cheers,
    Raymond
    Last edited by good_boy; 05-13-2021 at 05:15 AM. Reason: national holiday

i missed my saturday training due to laziness at home.
    and i missed my tuesday training due to my uncle's funeral that i have to attend.

here's my Tuesday 20th of May 2021 workout:

Squat
    120kg 3x5 --> Felt so light :-)

Press
    82.5kg x0
    82.5kg x1
    After the struggles, I gave up. Maybe because I was so smart and did my own version of warm up sets and thus the results.

Deadlift
    130kg x5.
    Watching SS videos, practicing how to do the lumber extension, using lats to pull the bar, and etc ARE GOLD!!!

My next training will be this Saturday, wish me luck.

Saturday, May 23rd 2021.

Squat
    125kg 3x5

Press
    82.5kg is kinda of impossible so I did 80kg for 15 reps.
    I managed to get a few sets of triples, this time.
    The rest of the sets are doubles and singles.

Deadlift
    135kg x5

Cheers.

Tuesday, May 26th 2021.
    Still on NLP.

SQ
    130kg 3x5

Bench
    105kg x1x9
    I kept on doing singles until I failed twice. Then I took a 3 min rest, tried a single, failed. Kinda lost hope, and I moved on to:

Deadlift
    140kg x5.

Next training will be on Thursday, 27th May 2021.

Cheers.
    Last edited by good_boy; 05-25-2021 at 08:29 PM. Reason: take sad song and make it better

Friday, May 28th 2021.

Squat
    135kg 3x5!

Press
    I did callibration of my plates, and it turned out that my "favourite" 20kg plates are only 18.4kg.
    And my least "favourite" 20kg plates are 19.9kg!!!
    So I switched the plates and only managed to do:
    80kg for 2 singles, failed 3 times and after that, I am finished.

Goal: I will do 77.5kg next time, do it until i can do a 5x3.

Deadlift
    145kg x5

Next training will be on Monday, May 31st 2021.

Cheers.
    Last edited by good_boy; 05-29-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: 77.5kg

Quote Originally Posted by good_boy View Post
    Press
    I did callibration of my plates, and it turned out that my "favourite" 20kg plates are only 18.4kg.
    And my least "favourite" 20kg plates are 19.9kg!!!
    So I switched the plates and only managed to do:
    80kg for 2 singles, failed 3 times and after that, I am finished. But, I am staying on 80kg, no reason to reset.
    Looks like it's time to increase the frequency of your press like Nick mentioned in the video you linked above, e.g. Bench Monday, Press Wednesday, Bench & Press Intensity on Friday.

I'm getting to a similar point (although at a lighter weight), so it's interesting to watch others progress similarly.

And those 18.4kg "20kg" plates? Hopefully you have some microplates to compensate. Or the ability to swap them out for something a bit more accurate.

Keep at it!

starting strength coach development program
    oh yeah, bill!

cheers!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast