starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NLP 3: The Search for Spock (April 2021-?)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Comfortably? No. Today was evidence enough of that. But I pulled it off. It's just so amazing to see how even a really grindy last rep for them they seem to come off it so much more energetic. I come off a grindy last rep and I feel like I could fall over. Anyway...
    Yep, I'm right there with you, having to grasp the rack for a moment as soon as I come out from under the bar. She does it and is ready to dance...

Keep at it.

Saturday 5/16/2021

Deadlift 360x5x1

Bonus deadlift session today. Also tried some pulldowns afterward, but discovered the pulldown machines at my gym are TERRIBLE. The plates are incremented by 15 pounds for fuck's sake. Gonna have to take the workouts back home for pulldowns when I add them in to the actual program. Got a nice snug fit on the 3 inch belt, but today I was having trouble keeping the bar against the shins. I don't know. Something to keep an eye on.

Monday 5/17/2021

Weigh-In: 288

Squat 285x5x3
    Press 140x5x3
    Power Clean 140x3x5

This one felt like the grind from hell, from start to finish. That squat session took a lot out of me. I went with a ramped up rest time of 6 minutes after the first set, and after the second I kicked it up to 7. Still fucking brutal. I felt so beat I am positive the fatigue bled over into the cleans, as my legs could not explode, they could only grind. And one cannot grind a power clean. The presses were grinders too, the last rep of the last set took 3-4 seconds to make it to lockout. The power cleans started off racking fairly ugly, and by the end were racking REALLY ugly. I actually missed a few reps too, but tried repeating to get them right. My legs were just so shot they were hard to control. I feel like I was splitting way too much after the jump, my feet were just short of the edges of the platform(the central wood part, not the robber patches to either side designed to catch the falling bar safely). Really all I was able to get wasn't much of a "jump" at all. I think I am just not built to do these optimally. How the hell do people do these with 50% of their deadlift weight, let alone 75%? I am probably going to try a reset on these and dropping the increment to 2.5 pounds when I get back up to 135. I might also reset my squats, we'll see if I can make that 290 on Friday. Definitely going to rest 8 minutes between sets.

Looks like my diet steps were overdoing it. I'll try cutting down the two 16 ounce glasses of milk I added into my day to just one per day this week. I really do not want to get my weight over 300 pounds again.

Wednesday 5/19/2021

Squat 225x5x3
    Bench 220x5x3
    Deadlift 365x5x1

I don't know if bench is gonna make it to 225. Was very hard to complete the sets, even the first. Deadlifted without the belt today, no problem getting the bar to stay along the shins out of the bottom. I think even the 3 inch belt is interfering with setting my back at the bottom. Was hard lifting for sure, but not quite a limit set. The bench though I definitely did not have one more rep on that last set for sure. Weekly programming is definitely going to have to start being implemented soon, but I'll keep going til I hit persistent stalls. Dreading that 290 squat friday, but I'm still gonna attempt it.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 05-19-2021 at 08:34 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday 5/21/2021

Squat 290x5, 260x5x2
    Press 142.5x4, 135x5, 135x6

Ran up against the clock again today, no power cleans. Did the first set of 290 squats, but there was no way in hell I was getting the next two. Even resting 8 minutes wasn't enough,baking off 10% for the next two sets still felt like shit and form was really crappy. Girlfriend remarked that my eyes actually were reddened after the first set. I guess there was too much pressure in some of those ocular blood vessels? I think there is just too much damn fatigue built up, especially with the lower body. Having the press fail like that in the first set also felt like an indicator that things need to change. It's been several straight sessions of very hard grinds right now. I am getting a strange sore feeling not in a delayed way, but in an immediate way.

If it were just one lift stalling I'd consider just resetting it to see if I can squeeze out a little more, but squat and press are both hitting the wall. Bench is probably 1 or 2 workouts away from following suit. Deadlift might go a LITTLE longer than that if I switch to the double-alternating scheme with both cleans and pulldowns. but at that point you are basically bringing the weight up at a rate commensurate with an intermediate program anyway. On top of this, a three day intermediate scheme would create workout days that just take too damned long for me and the girlfriend. As it stands, we usually take 2-2.5 hours in the gym on a day all the equipment we need is available without a wait. Best way to go from here is looking like a 4 day split. I'll probably stick to that scheme as I hit my next planned weight cut in July, albeit with programming changes to accommodate the caloric deficit state. I officially pronounce this log adjourned, intermediate log coming soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234